Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any ladies gone on ahead with kids?

Any ladies gone on ahead with kids?

Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Elaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really nice
Default Re: Any ladies gone on ahead with kids?

Why does your kids need to be in school at the start of the school year?

When we get to Oz we plan to take a holiday for a few weeks and let the kids (12 and 10) enjoy their new surroundings rather than stick them straight into school.

Elaine
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

That was our plan too, we were hoping to be out there by now but it's just not going to happen.

When we went the first time our lad had about 6 weeks off school. He might not be so lucky this time round but he will still get a couple of weeks off.

I feel that if you can get them in at the start of the school year it is better to do so. There will be other 'new' kids starting the same day and he will not have to play catch up. Not everyone can do this, our son started towards the end of the school year last time.

Mandy
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Thanks for that, I was wondering if it was a daft idea.

We are heading to the gold coast initially but I'm not sure which area. My son is 13 and my main aim is to get him settled in quickly.

I am quite independant but it's a bit scary to be making such a big move without the hubbie. As for buying a car, sorting out a house etc, it's going to be tough. I will have to find a job rather quickly too.

I brought the subject up and i think hubbie is finding it difficult to take me seriously

It is definately something that I think we should look into and not dismiss out of hand.

Mandy
Hi

We are heading to the Gold Coast in January (hopefully) and have a 13 year old son. We are looking at Mudgereeba - they have built a new school there which looks fab. We used to live in Robina and my son went to Varsity Junior School which was also great - fancy Mudgereeba though as would like to build a house and hopefully have a bit of a view.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine & Nigel
Why does your kids need to be in school at the start of the school year?

When we get to Oz we plan to take a holiday for a few weeks and let the kids (12 and 10) enjoy their new surroundings rather than stick them straight into school.

Elaine
We waited just over 2 weeks before ours started school, we were going to leave it another week, but tbh think it's better to get them in school sooner rather than later They settle much faster in school with new mates, than out of it arguing amongst themselves
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
We waited just over 2 weeks before ours started school, we were going to leave it another week, but tbh think it's better to get them in school sooner rather than later They settle much faster in school with new mates, than out of it arguing amongst themselves
They do get bored with adult company, the same as we get bored with kids talk (mainly about the new 360 game released or some cyber stuff etc) 3 weeks is more than enough holiday really, unless you are travelling. Our son had far too long last time, he was itching to get to school.

Mandy
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Whereabouts are you heading?
sorry scrawni just seen post, were heading to the goldcoast,broadbeach and then we are thinking at looking for a place in pacific pines
sarah
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sarahlou
sorry scrawni just seen post, were heading to the goldcoast,broadbeach and then we are thinking at looking for a place in pacific pines
sarah
hi Mandy I havent sold my home either we are heading to cairns I think we will try the solicitor to sign our paperwork etc for us if it happens I agree about starting the new school year thats what has pushed me into booking flights etc. We leave on the 8th of january so she can have the school hols with her friends and start the school term with everyone else shes 13 too.
All the best
Trudi