Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any ladies gone on ahead with kids?

Any ladies gone on ahead with kids?

Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any ladies gone on ahead with kids?

This has been brought up because we still haven't sold the house.

We wanted to get our son into school at the start of the school year in January 2008. The only way we can see that happening is if son and I head out there first. Hubbie can be left at home to sell the house.

I don't know how practical this is so I would like to hear from anyone who has done a similar thing.

Thanks
Mandy
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

flamelily has a spectacular aura aboutflamelily has a spectacular aura aboutflamelily has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Any ladies gone on ahead with kids?

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2

We wanted to get our son into school at the start of the school year in January 2008. The only way we can see that happening is if son and I head out there first. Hubbie can be left at home to sell the house.

I don't know how practical this is so I would like to hear from anyone who has done a similar thing.

Thanks
Mandy

Hi Mandy

Yes i did that - a bit daunting buying a car, renting a house & finding schools on your own. its stressful - you have to do everything - including getting rid of spiders etc (boy job) - but if you are independant, go getter type - than go for it - just kinda have an idea before you leave. - have you got a school booked in? - or if you know what area you will live in cos the state schools are good or bad depending on the area..so suburb is vital for a place. the catholic schools are very reasonable fees.(& one does not have to be churchy or catholic) the full on private schools are good but expensive & huge waiting lists.
when you come find a 'mothers support group/expat group' that will help in the beginning - you can make ozzie friends later....realise that this is 'big' for kids too but def starting at the beginning of the year & not half way thru is a bonus at not being the only'new' kid - its a big move for kids cos they are leaving dad (for a while) grandparents, cousins, friends & maybe pets - remember that & do kiddy friendly things at least 3 times a week - fabulous safe playgrounds, beaches, library & lots of free kiddy stuff to do - where r you going too?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I was wondering if it was a daft idea.

We are heading to the gold coast initially but I'm not sure which area. My son is 13 and my main aim is to get him settled in quickly.

I am quite independant but it's a bit scary to be making such a big move without the hubbie. As for buying a car, sorting out a house etc, it's going to be tough. I will have to find a job rather quickly too.

I brought the subject up and i think hubbie is finding it difficult to take me seriously

It is definately something that I think we should look into and not dismiss out of hand.

Mandy
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:56 am
Loving Perth!

TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future

Hi Mandy,

You could always sign all the house paperwork and leave it with the estate agents / solicitors to sort - that's what we did when we all came out together in January - our house hadn't even had any interest before we left.....

The house ended up finally completing in September, 8 months after we arrived! Wouldn't have liked for one of us to stay in the UK for all that time....

Hope this is a possibility for you,

Jane x
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:34 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Have you validated yet? Something to think about is that the primary applicant has to enter before the other people on the application.

So if you have not validated and your husband is the primary applicant then he will have to enter first. If you have already validated or you are the primary applicant then you can go right ahead.

Just something to think about in case you've overlooked it.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy,

My husband and I have given my dad power of attorney so that when our house sale is completed he can sign all the paperwork on our behalf. If you've got someone you could trust with that perhaps it's a consideration for you too?

When we moved to the States my husband went ahead to start his job while my visa was still in process, and although it worked out okay there was just something that didn't feel quite right, so when we moved here we decided that we would be flying over together. I feel like it's the right decision for us, we chose our rental together and we've had each others support in those first few weeks where there are a few wobbly moments.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

We have already validated our visa and have already lived in Oz for 8 mths. This is our second try, we came back last time because the house sale fell through.

We need my son to be in school at the start of the ozzie school year in January. I believe it will be better for him and he also would like this to happen.

I just don't know how practical it is

Mandy
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We have already validated our visa and have already lived in Oz for 8 mths. This is our second try, we came back last time because the house sale fell through.

We need my son to be in school at the start of the ozzie school year in January. I believe it will be better for him and he also would like this to happen.

I just don't know how practical it is

Mandy
I came out with my then 17yr old and 10yr old, so slightly easier I think with having one almost an adult. My husband came for the first 3 weeks then went back and we managed. We missed him like mad but this is how it had to be unfortunately
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:49 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is Mandy he may sell the house and decide to stay in the UK.

Oh hang on a minute, we're talking about the Whinging Pom aren't we ?

Bigger chance of the ravens leaving the Tower
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mand8002
I came out with my then 17yr old and 10yr old, so slightly easier I think with having one almost an adult. My husband came for the first 3 weeks then went back and we managed. We missed him like mad but this is how it had to be unfortunately
Thanks, nice to know it has been done before
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
Trouble is Mandy he may sell the house and decide to stay in the UK.

Oh hang on a minute, we're talking about the Whinging Pom aren't we ?

Bigger chance of the ravens leaving the Tower

Mmmmm, do you really think that Ian would decide to stay in the UK? NOT!

I think I might have a hard time getting him to let me leave him behind, he won't be a happy bunny I can tell you!

Mandy
Old Oct 10th 2007, 3:17 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy,

if you have time on your hands, you might like to read the "Go Bananas" diary. The write came out on her own with her young daughter to Perth while the husband stayed behind and sold the house. I loved reading her diaries about her setting up and settling in!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...banana+diaries

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...banana+diaries

Gina
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I will certainly take a look. It's just so bloody scary!

Thanks

Mandy
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all

Thanks
Mandy
Hi Mandy,
thats exactly what we are discussing at the moment,our daughter also 13 needs to be in school for when the new term starts in Jan,our house hasnt sold yet either and we have flights booked for Jan 05,we have to validate visas by Feb any way ,OH will have to come home after the 3 wk rental is up maybe help us find another rental to help us settle and go back home after that, i have found this stage harder than the TRA/VISA application !!!!!
this last stage is the most stressful i think cos youve got this far ,
sarah
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Whereabouts are you heading?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.