Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any Irish settling in Australia

any Irish settling in Australia

Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:15 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Smile any Irish settling in Australia

hello
Just wanted to see if their was any other Irish applying or living in Australia and if yes what do you make of it and is it really better than trying to live in ireland thanks
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: any Irish settling in Australia

Originally Posted by Baby75
hello
Just wanted to see if their was any other Irish applying or living in Australia and if yes what do you make of it and is it really better than trying to live in ireland thanks
We're on the Gold Coast sixteen months and loving it..
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:10 pm

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
We're on the Gold Coast sixteen months and loving it..
Fair play, we are probably heading up to the sunshine coast direction my husband was over there in April and he really has itchy feet now he was at a stags in the gold coast said it was a lot like las vegas good night life so.
So is the food shopping better and what the clothes shopping like sorry for all the questions
oh did you use an agent to get your visa don't know if we should try that or not

Thanks for replying
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Fair play, we are probably heading up to the sunshine coast direction my husband was over there in April and he really has itchy feet now he was at a stags in the gold coast said it was a lot like las vegas good night life so.
So is the food shopping better and what the clothes shopping like sorry for all the questions
oh did you use an agent to get your visa don't know if we should try that or not

Thanks for replying
DH is Irish - been living with us in Essex for 8 years and we are trying to get to Adelaide or Brissy. IF we dont get in for any reason it is off to not so sunny Donegal for us!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

hello
We are heading to Perth next year. Never been, and can't wait. Seems so far away
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Gonnago
DH is Irish - been living with us in Essex for 8 years and we are trying to get to Adelaide or Brissy. IF we dont get in for any reason it is off to not so sunny Donegal for us!
hi are you Australian your self my husband is a welder/ fabricator and its one of the most sought after trades in Australia we went to the expo in the RDS and my husband was talking to the IMMI and they told him he is in the top 5 sought after trade so you shouldn't have any trouble as long as he has his trade papers it can take longer if he doesn't.

we are heading to brissy our selfs apparently there is loads of work there for welders and great opportunities to set up your own business.

good luck and hopefully Donegal will be a nice place for a holiday instead
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Uuuh Patsy
We are heading to Perth next year. Never been, and can't wait. Seems so far away
I know all this waiting it drives you nuts, we are not good on patience are we
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:10 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

hello
Must confess, I am a Brit but lived in Ireland for 10 years with my Irish wife (Kildare/Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford). Absoultely loved Ireland. In my view, Oz is a similar lifestyle to Ireland for the 2 days it is summer there. People are just as great (the majority of course!)
There is an irish forum but no so busy www.irishozforum.com

Good luck

Andrew
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Mid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gonnago
I was born in sunny Battersea,London but my Mum and Dad are from sunny Donegal.I spent all my summer hols there as a kid.The long hot summer of '76 was like Brissy weather.There were even jellyfish just off the beach.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for replying

No - ask away - glad to help. Food shopping - you can get most things here. Decent sausages took a while to find and I miss McCambridge's brown bread ... Clothes shopping - okay for kids and guys, but women's clothes are another story - you'd miss Penneys and Dunnes - but, believe me, the upsides definitely outweigh any downsides like missing family, etc. I'm lucky because my brother's here and, hopefully, my cousin and family will be moving here soon. Australia's a great place to live and, personally, I think the Gold Coast is the best place to live in Australia ....

No - we didn't use an agent - I think most people don't really need one, but only if (a) your case/work history is particularly unusual/complicated or if neither one of you is used to a lot of paperwork.

Haven't been to the Sunshine Coast yet, so can't comment on that. Best of luck with it all. Michelle xx
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

hi are you Australian your self my husband is a welder/ fabricator and its one of the most sought after trades in Australia we went to the expo in the RDS and my husband was talking to the IMMI and they told him he is in the top 5 sought after trade so you shouldn't have any trouble as long as he has his trade papers it can take longer if he doesn't.

we are heading to brissy our selfs apparently there is loads of work there for welders and great opportunities to set up your own business.

good luck and hopefully Donegal will be a nice place for a holiday instead
nope im an Essex girl
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:32 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

hello
Just wanted to see if their was any other Irish applying or living in Australia...
Erm, only since about 1795...

It's the most Irish country outside of Ireland (just pips the US) with about 30% of the population claiming some Irish ancestry. I can believe this going by the number of Irish surnames I encounter.

IMO, despite the distance, you'd feel less an outsider here than you would in Britain.

I've been here 3 years (grew up in North County Dublin by haven't lived there for many years).

Best of luck of you decide to come.

Big.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
No - ask away - glad to help. Food shopping - you can get most things here. Decent sausages took a while to find and I miss McCambridge's brown bread ... Clothes shopping - okay for kids and guys, but women's clothes are another story - you'd miss Penneys and Dunnes - but, believe me, the upsides definitely outweigh any downsides like missing family, etc. I'm lucky because my brother's here and, hopefully, my cousin and family will be moving here soon. Australia's a great place to live and, personally, I think the Gold Coast is the best place to live in Australia ....

No - we didn't use an agent - I think most people don't really need one, but only if (a) your case/work history is particularly unusual/complicated or if neither one of you is used to a lot of paperwork.

Haven't been to the Sunshine Coast yet, so can't comment on that. Best of luck with it all. Michelle xx
that's good you are enjoying it how do you find meeting people and making friends. our paper work is fairly straight forward so hopefully it will all run smoothly . we have friends living in Alexandra headland and my brother is in nz at the mo but is heading over to Australia soon my sister is going to follow me over and my husbands parents are going to come and stay for a while so that will help i hope im worried about missing home as long as the kids are happy it should be good, it will be so nice to see more sun it has been raining every day for nearly 5 weeks and its meant to be summer oh how will i live with out penny's:lol il be getting my sister to get stuff for me i think
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Erm, only since about 1795...

It's the most Irish country outside of Ireland (just pips the US) with about 30% of the population claiming some Irish ancestry. I can believe this going by the number of Irish surnames I encounter.

IMO, despite the distance, you'd feel less an outsider here than you would in Britain.

I've been here 3 years (grew up in North County Dublin by haven't lived there for many years).

Best of luck of you decide to come.

Big.
Guess we are loved were ever we go thats a bonus any way we are diffidently going ive been reading through all the other threads and have noticed some people find it hard to make close friends how did you find it we have friends living in the sunshine coast and they never had a problem i was wondering if the Australians take to some expats better than others like does it all depend on were your from im sorry im not being clear really don't want to offend any one here

how have you found that
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Guess we are loved were ever we go thats a bonus any way we are diffidently going ive been reading through all the other threads and have noticed some people find it hard to make close friends how did you find it we have friends living in the sunshine coast and they never had a problem i was wondering if the Australians take to some expats better than others like does it all depend on were your from im sorry im not being clear really don't want to offend any one here

how have you found that
Were from Ireland (Galway). Just got our visa last week. Heading to Melbourne in December. Jesus I'm scared!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.