Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any IRISH out there in melbourne

any IRISH out there in melbourne

Old May 6th 2007, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

maria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant future
Default any IRISH out there in melbourne

We are an irish family just moved to Melbourne live in Glen Waverley have 5 kids OH is a carpenter and we would love to meet others in the same boat.
Find Melbourne very expensive . Trying to settle in as best we can but it is a culture shock, although have no homesickness yet .
Old May 8th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: any IRISH out there in melbourne

Originally Posted by maria and dom
We are an irish family just moved to Melbourne live in Glen Waverley have 5 kids OH is a carpenter and we would love to meet others in the same boat.
Find Melbourne very expensive . Trying to settle in as best we can but it is a culture shock, although have no homesickness yet .

Welcome to the site Maria and Dom - wish we could help, but a bit far away Good luck with everything. Michelle x
Old May 11th 2007, 9:36 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Grandfather immigrated from Ireland to NZ in 1920's does that count

Based down the road in Malvern - but there are some new families to the Glen Waverley area.....The scots are coming
Old May 11th 2007, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

There are loads and loads of Irish in Melbourne , try the Celtic Club http://www.celticclub.com.au/, also get down to the Quiet man in Flemington, quite a few there as well, and in any other of the numerous Irish pubs in Melbourne

Last edited by Fenton; May 11th 2007 at 10:22 am.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Maria and Dom

We live in Mayo at the moment, but are hoping to move to Melbourne. My OH is a carpenter also. When he was in Melbourne 10 years ago he was told to go to the Clifdon Hill pub in Clifdon Hill when he was looking for work as a lot of irish expats went there. I have absolutely no idea if that is still the case now, and I don't know exactly what the pub is like. I don't know if it will be of any use to you now, but it might help. I remember there being large irish community over there, so its just a case of finding them

Good luck
Dolly
Old May 11th 2007, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am irish and have lived in Melbourne for over 2 years now. We live in Mentone, so not too far from Glen Waverley. I will send you a pm in the next few days.

Mel
Old May 11th 2007, 2:47 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

We're hoping to move out around the end of the year, yes, I know I live in somerset, but I am in fact Irish, I've only lived in the UK for 13 years, so they can't take it away from me yet.
Old May 11th 2007, 2:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

40% of Australians have some Irish ancestry.

G
Old May 11th 2007, 4:39 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya try the Britvics site for making friends in Melbourne.
Old May 11th 2007, 4:47 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya try the Britvics site for making friends in Melbourne.
Old May 11th 2007, 7:41 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melibeam
Hi

I am irish and have lived in Melbourne for over 2 years now. We live in Mentone, so not too far from Glen Waverley. I will send you a pm in the next few days.

Mel
Thought you were on your way up to Brisbane? or was that someone else selling in Mentone? If it was did you have any luck with the selling?
Old May 11th 2007, 7:47 pm
Happy migrant

My post was so good I posted it twice
Old May 12th 2007, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Thought you were on your way up to Brisbane? or was that someone else selling in Mentone? If it was did you have any luck with the selling?
We are still trying to sell our house but no interest so far.

As time goes on its getting more difficult to move as our oldest is in year 11, so if house does not sell in the next month, we will probably put off moving until he has finished year 12.

Mel