Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

View Poll Results: Where about's in Oz have you moved/moving to?
Melbourne
21.11%
Perth
20.00%
Sydney
12.22%
Brisbane
21.11%
Cairns
1.11%
Adelaide
6.67%
Canberra
0%
Gold Coast
12.22%
Sunshine Coast
5.56%
Hobart
0%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

Old Mar 27th 2006, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all
Default Re: Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

Originally Posted by Dee & Steve
As far as I know you can, probably ring up his local station back in Cork and find out what you need to do, or what station you need to send your form too. When I applied for my visa years ago I was living here in Australia, and I got mine through the post, and when we applied for Stephens visa last yr, we were living back home but we had to get police clearance from Sydney as he lived there for 3 years, so we did this through the post also. You just have to provide details of all your precious addresses in that country. Hope this helps. Deirdre
Thanks for that
Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

YAFOLEY will become famous soon enoughYAFOLEY will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

Hy guys, - deirdre - great post thanks for that you wouldn't mind me asking what type of container your got from careline and how much it cost? -
We have decided to do our meds unrequested and got the forms today! ahhhh....
query re med forms! question for MK - if your reading this! You had meds done in Donnybrook rather than drumcondra any reason why or just handiness!

My nerves are gone already and I haven't even done them...do you think that dimia check everything - do they have access to your medical records... not that I have anything to hide (sounds it I know but honestly don't!) but for minor incidents like bike crash etc do you have to be really honest. I had a kidney op done when I was a baby (reflux, 32 yrs ago, probably a big deal back then but they just do key hole surgery on kids nowadays born with it) but what I'm afraid of is that if I put this down they will start delving into every little detail about my kidneys?? I am young, healthy and have had 3 babies and feel great (except for the stress of this mirgration process!).
Any comments on the meds would be great.

Oh, sorry while Im blabbering have another query - driving licences!!!! my hubbie is a biker he has a full driving licence for the bikes but not for a car only providional... me too!!! i'm driving over 10 years and have failed 1 test so far - I get too nervous, well that's my excuse. But honestly I have applied for myself and al to have tests but as you will all know the list is endless in Ireland. I put on it our reasons for urgency and they want flight details of when we were going (god luvy i'd luv to have them for you)... has anyone had this prob.. our agent cannot advise us on what to do..so any advice would be great because it looks like it could be a year wait for our driving test!

thanks Yvonne
Old Mar 27th 2006, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Fitz will become famous soon enough

Hi Yvonne

I checked both Drumcondra and Donnybrook. Down to price. Donnybrook were cheaper. Also more convenient for us which was an added bonus. Don't know anything about licence. How are the nerves for the forthcoming trip. When do you hope to take off. We are gone as soon as Visas come YIPEE.

Take care

MK

Originally Posted by YAFOLEY
Hy guys, - deirdre - great post thanks for that you wouldn't mind me asking what type of container your got from careline and how much it cost? -
query re med forms! question for MK - if your reading this! You had meds done in Donnybrook rather than drumcondra any reason why or just handiness!

My nerves are gone already and I haven't even done them...do you think that dimia check everything - do they have access to your medical records... not that I have anything to hide (sounds it I know but honestly don't!) but for minor incidents like bike crash etc do you have to be really honest. I had a kidney op done when I was a baby (reflux, 32 yrs ago, probably a big deal back then but they just do key hole surgery on kids nowadays born with it) but what I'm afraid of is that if I put this down they will start delving into every little detail about my kidneys?? I am young, healthy and have had 3 babies and feel great (except for the stress of this mirgration process!).

Oh, sorry while Im blabbering have another query - driving licences!!!! my hubbie is a biker he has a full driving licence for the bikes but not for a car only providional... me too!!! i'm driving over 10 years and have failed 1 test so far - I get too nervous, well that's my excuse. But honestly I have applied for myself and al to have tests but as you will all know the list is endless in Ireland. I put on it our reasons for urgency and they want flight details of when we were going (god luvy i'd luv to have them for you)... has anyone had this prob.. our agent cannot advise us on what to do..so any advice would be great because it looks like it could be a year wait for our driving test!

thanks Yvonne
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Yvonne

With the meds I would put down everything. The panel doctor will inform you if any further information is needed. I cannot see there being any problem with an operation that was done over thirty years ago. Although I am no expert. As far as I know from reading other threads, that the doctors do not have access to your medical files. Somebody else may be able to verify this. Don't worry about the meds. I know easier said than done. I was so worried. They really are quite easy and I know you will say after what was I worrying about. I have to say it was quite some fun trying to get our youngest to do the wee sample. But we got it done. I could hear him outside the surgery door saying I need to go to the toilet.

Best of luck

MK

thanks Yvonne
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all

Question re: Visa Grant letter (hopefully)

Can anybody inform me as to the process to get your passports stamped with the Visa. I know An Post do not have the service for prepaid return special delivery as Royal Mail have. How do you get around this. I have read some threads where some travelled to the North and sent it from there to London via Royal Mail prepaid return Special Delivery. Also others travelled to UK. Is there a way around this without having to travel.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

MK

Originally Posted by Paul Fitz
Hi Yvonne

With the meds I would put down everything. The panel doctor will inform you if any further information is needed. I cannot see there being any problem with an operation that was done over thirty years ago. Although I am no expert. As far as I know from reading other threads, that the doctors do not have access to your medical files. Somebody else may be able to verify this. Don't worry about the meds. I know easier said than done. I was so worried. They really are quite easy and I know you will say after what was I worrying about. I have to say it was quite some fun trying to get our youngest to do the wee sample. But we got it done. I could hear him outside the surgery door saying I need to go to the toilet.

Best of luck

MK
Old Mar 27th 2006, 11:30 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wallaby64
Moved to Goldcoast from Cork last september. Wife and three kids..15,12 and 8. Renting in Ashmore. Kids in school in Merrimac. 8 yr old in state primary and other two in St Michaels Catholic. Im back in ireland since Christmas to sort out business, house sale etc. and hope to be back in Oz for easter. Family love every minute of life on Goldcoast. Have done all the theme parks...cost about 85 euro for family of five for the day but well worth it especially Seaworld and Wet n' wild. Everything and everywhere is easy to get to as the road network is fab. Beaches are soooo clean and allmost seem deserted. Parks everywhere. Large shopping centers everywhere...Robina, Pacific Fair, Australia Fair are the three biggest..I think. Never far from water..river or sea. 8 year old fishes most days after school with his little aussie mates. He plays handball, football, rugby and soccer through the school system. The two older ones play tennis, field hockey and get this one..go ice skating through the school system. Bit different from GAA, GAA or GAA. Wife has joined a few social groups where she is getting to meet some nice people.Place reminds me of what Ireland used to be like years ago where people allways had a smile and were only too willing to have a chat or help out. Group of young men (18 to 22 yo) renting next door.. thought they might be a bit of a problem...The day we moved in, they rock up to the front door with heaps of takeaway food to welcome us to the area....they figured we wouldnt have thought about eating with all the unpacking etc. My 15 yr old daughter was mighty impressed!!!! (i presume it was the tanned bodies, not the takeaway.) Phone bill is massive as we are in touch every day. The young fella sounds like an aussie allready....god I miss em.
Wallaby
Get a phone card. My wife and daughter are always on the phone back to Ireland for hours daily! We pay $0.03/minute.

Andrew
Old Mar 28th 2006, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Hi Yvonne

I checked both Drumcondra and Donnybrook. Down to price. Donnybrook were cheaper. Also more convenient for us which was an added bonus. Don't know anything about licence. How are the nerves for the forthcoming trip. When do you hope to take off. We are gone as soon as Visas come YIPEE.

Take care

MK
hi mk ta 4 this. our house is sale agreed obviously dont want to sign until we def have visa. My nerves are gone i am really getting anxious and thinking what if we didnt get accepted ! i try distract myself from thinking about it but it is very hard.... we would be ready to go immediately if we got it!!!
when do you plan to go.... when do u think you will hear about your visa?

later yvonne
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gidxg03
Congrats !!! Where about's in Oz did you emegrate to?
The gold coast. its gorgeous!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi Yvonne

We hope all going well to hear on the Visa in about 4-6 weeks, but who knows. We are waiting until the kids come out of school end of June. Hopefully will be on our way early July. The waiting is sooo much harder now with the 4 month mark approaching.

MK

hi mk ta 4 this. our house is sale agreed obviously dont want to sign until we def have visa. My nerves are gone i am really getting anxious and thinking what if we didnt get accepted ! i try distract myself from thinking about it but it is very hard.... we would be ready to go immediately if we got it!!!
when do you plan to go.... when do u think you will hear about your visa?

later yvonne
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:13 am
Dee & Steve

Dee & Steve will become famous soon enough

Hi Yvonne, you asked how much careline cost us, well, we didn't get a container, but we shipped about 26 boxes and that cost around a thousand euro, but that was almost 2yrs ago, so bear that in mind. I found them really helpful, they provided all the packing material, right down to the masking tape, and a few days after they collected our boxes, we realised that we had managed to fill 2 more and I was able to add these onto our load as they hadn't left the port yet. They organised the delivery on this side for us we just had to pay the company here. Deirdre
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:08 am
Just Joined

time is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul Fitz. Re the grant letter and passport just send them registered
mail to london house they will look after the the returning of your passport
I rang about mine at the time and this is what i was told to do and sure enough no problems at all. p.s. you did pay a grand plus for this application in the first place
Old Mar 28th 2006, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Time for answering my query. Glad now I know there is a way around it. Did not look forward to having to travel to send off the passports.

Thanks again

MK

Originally Posted by time
Hi Paul Fitz. Re the grant letter and passport just send them registered
mail to london house they will look after the the returning of your passport
I rang about mine at the time and this is what i was told to do and sure enough no problems at all. p.s. you did pay a grand plus for this application in the first place
Old Mar 28th 2006, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Yvonne, you asked how much careline cost us, well, we didn't get a container, but we shipped about 26 boxes and that cost around a thousand euro, but that was almost 2yrs ago, so bear that in mind. I found them really helpful, they provided all the packing material, right down to the masking tape, and a few days after they collected our boxes, we realised that we had managed to fill 2 more and I was able to add these onto our load as they hadn't left the port yet. They organised the delivery on this side for us we just had to pay the company here. Deirdre
thanks for this ... i emailed them this morning ta yvonne
Old Mar 29th 2006, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Hi Deirdre
Careline called me back yesterday and are going to come out next Tuesday 4/4 so will get a better idea of what they can do for us... we are so undecided about what to take with us.. a lot of our stuff is going to be toys! I know this sounds mad but I think it would be so "not right" to upload the kids to a strange place and at least if I brought all their toys they would have familiarity around them! Obviously bits of househould stuff and personal stuff coming along too.
i'll let you know how we get on cheers Yvonne
Old Mar 29th 2006, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Hi Yvonne

Best of luck

MK
Hy there, I went to GP yesterday to discuss the form and he told me to put it down as it is not something that they would deny me visa for... he was great about it and said to ring the hospital were I go back for check up-s every year and just get them to have a letter ready but not to actually get it yet as we may not even need it once we put down what the op was...
Feel a little bit happier now.
I'm hopefully going to book our meds for the easter week when my 5 year old is off school and hubbies on week hols.
Will keep you posted
Yvonne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.