Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

View Poll Results: Where about's in Oz have you moved/moving to?
Melbourne
21.11%
Perth
20.00%
Sydney
12.22%
Brisbane
21.11%
Cairns
1.11%
Adelaide
6.67%
Canberra
0%
Gold Coast
12.22%
Sunshine Coast
5.56%
Hobart
0%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
Hi Propblast

I was just reading this thread and saw you have taken your dogs with you. Did you ship them from NI or the UK? I was given the name of Ladyhaye kennels in Dublin and was wondering did you hear of them, or who did you use? We going from southern ireland and are just about to submit our visa application having just passed the TRA. I'm now starting to think about getting the dogs ready to go. I'm getting them microchipped soon, and then the whole vaccination thing starts. I have a whole load of paperwork to read through again for the dogs (almost as much for them as for us!). I'm assuming they have to have a rabies vaccination, did your dogs have any side effects from it?

Anyway any info you can give would be appreciated.

Dolly
Hey Dolly

We brought our dog from Galway to the Gold Coast last March! Used Ladyhaye - but only because they were cheaper than the only Irish crowd that do it - Multicargo I think they were called. Ended up doing most of the paperwork and legwork ourselves - can't imagine what we paid them about £1,800 for. If you use this link - http://www.daff.gov.au/content/outpu...ntType=outputs - it should take you straight to aqis information about importing your dog. Our vets were brilliant, but they had never done it before, so the best thing to do is educate yourself by reading and re-reading the aqis information so that you can be sure that the vet does everything to the letter and during the correct timeframe. Our dog had no side effects to anything - as far as I can remember, they don't actually get a rabies vac as Ireland is a rabies free country. Anyway, she/we got over it - none the worse for her journey and she's enjoying life in her new home. If you need any further help, please let me know. All the best, Michelle x
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Hey Dolly

We brought our dog from Galway to the Gold Coast last March! Used Ladyhaye - but only because they were cheaper than the only Irish crowd that do it - Multicargo I think they were called. Ended up doing most of the paperwork and legwork ourselves - can't imagine what we paid them about £1,800 for. If you use this link - http://www.daff.gov.au/content/outpu...ntType=outputs - it should take you straight to aqis information about importing your dog. Our vets were brilliant, but they had never done it before, so the best thing to do is educate yourself by reading and re-reading the aqis information so that you can be sure that the vet does everything to the letter and during the correct timeframe. Our dog had no side effects to anything - as far as I can remember, they don't actually get a rabies vac as Ireland is a rabies free country. Anyway, she/we got over it - none the worse for her journey and she's enjoying life in her new home. If you need any further help, please let me know. All the best, Michelle x

Thanks for the info Michelle, I'll have to sit down and read through the paperwork again. Thats great that they don't have to have a rabies shot, was more worried about that having a side effect on them.

Will probably use Ladyhaye ourselves as I think its hard enough to book them onto an airline now without an agent.

Thanks again.
Dolly
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

propblast is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

hey dolly!
we travelled from the north using breeny pets so wouldn't be able to help in that respect but any info you need regarding your pets we'll be glad to help!
you actually pay a heap of money and end up doing all the leg work yourself so be prepared. you need to be so thorough when it comes to the paperwork.
also we found that the crates used for flight to australia were deemed too big for internal flights so we had to pay extra for smaller ones!
also there are only 3 quarantine centres- melbourne, perth and sydney so tricky if you're brisbane etc. we used melbourne and have no complaints, good exercise facilities and easy to get to by public transport! john and michelle are spot-on you do the work and they take the money, go over everything twice and trust nobody to do it right but you! try www.aqis.gov.au/animals and request the import documentation. don't think you'll need rabies injection but heart worm is a problem here and tablets/injections are needed but not prior to travel.
any info you need just let us know
all the best!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by propblast
hey dolly!
we travelled from the north using breeny pets so wouldn't be able to help in that respect but any info you need regarding your pets we'll be glad to help!
you actually pay a heap of money and end up doing all the leg work yourself so be prepared. you need to be so thorough when it comes to the paperwork.
also we found that the crates used for flight to australia were deemed too big for internal flights so we had to pay extra for smaller ones!
also there are only 3 quarantine centres- melbourne, perth and sydney so tricky if you're brisbane etc. we used melbourne and have no complaints, good exercise facilities and easy to get to by public transport! john and michelle are spot-on you do the work and they take the money, go over everything twice and trust nobody to do it right but you! try www.aqis.gov.au/animals and request the import documentation. don't think you'll need rabies injection but heart worm is a problem here and tablets/injections are needed but not prior to travel.
any info you need just let us know
all the best!
Hi Propblast

Thanks for the info. We're taking two dogs, so that will be nice and expensive for us! But I can't leave them behind. Its great they don't need the rabies vaccination, that was the one that was worrying me the most because of timing etc. I'm getting them microchipped soon (which I should have done ages ago anyway) and will have to sit down and go through the paperwork and start getting it sent off. We hoping to go to Melbourne so its good to hear that the facilities at the quarantine are good there. I looked at the Aqis site and they are suggesting that you book five months in advance for the quarantine!

Thanks again.
Dolly
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:47 am
Just Joined

propblast is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

yeah it's expensive but worth it! if the dogs are up to date with their injections it will limit any last minute delays whilst in quarantine. record everything and copy all paperwork for your own piece of mind! the quarantine centre in melbourne is easy to get to with a direct train route to and from flinder's station. it's a 5 min stroll from spotswood station(probably 15 mins on train)they allow 2 visits per week- 1 1/2hrs in the morning or 3 hrs in the afternoon but only about 6 exercise yards so your visit might get cut short if busy.we bought extra bedding for one of our dogs as all it was sleeping on was a wooden bench and his coat started suffering. but it's all good now, back to their normal 'yappy' selves!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Propblast

Dogs injections are up to date at the moment, due their boosters soon, but I know we have to leave off one of the vaccines. Other than the microchipping I think thats all I have to worry about until i need to start getting blood tests. I read on the aquis form that they need to be treated regularly in the last month for ticks and fleas. Did you do this yourself, or did you have to take them to the vet? I keep them regularly treated with tick & flea treatment as we live in a rural area, and the ticks here can be quite bad in the spring/summer.

Will keep in mind that we might have to buy them extra bedding at the quarantine.

Thanks for your help
Dolly
Old Nov 10th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Hi all
We are heading over to melbourne next april/may all depending on the visa and other stuff. See from the poll that there are a few heading that way although you lot are probably already there as this looks like an old thread.
Can't wait to see you all!!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Soulrebel.
Cant really help you as I am in Perth,but thought that I would welcomw you to our thread. Nice to see another Family heading down under. It truly is a wonderful country. Yes you guessed it . I LOVE it here.If you need any general questions answered I will try to help you if I can.

Wendy
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:27 pm
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

hey hows u chef69 lol what part of perth u in? im in woodvale there aint much northern irish people on here or maybe i have not look hard enough lol
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold

Already sent you a PM from your other post about containers and shippers.
Wendy
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Hey Dolly

Hi Michelle

I'm in the last stages or arranging to ship my dogs to oz and I was just wondering did you insure your dog for travelling? If you did could you give me the details of the company you used?

All the best
Dolly
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dolly
Hi Michelle

I'm in the last stages or arranging to ship my dogs to oz and I was just wondering did you insure your dog for travelling? If you did could you give me the details of the company you used?

All the best
Dolly
Hi Dolly

Definitely didn't do anything separate for our dog, insurance wise. As far as I remember, it was included in the total price with Ladyhaye? Best of luck with it all. Michelle x