Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any intl removals recommendations?

Any intl removals recommendations?

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:16 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any intl removals recommendations?

Originally Posted by scallyuk
Found a shipping company who would provide a container at our door for us to pack ourselves, we used Rjj freight, quote £1300 London/Brisbane for a 20ft container.
And they'd still have done quite nicely out of that... Current box rates to the Far East from the UK are zero, just pay the THC, CAF & BAF... Am waiting for a friend to let me know rates to Oz... Won't be much I'll bet...
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:19 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any intl removals recommendations?

Originally Posted by FiP
Have been reading the horror stories on the Forum about international removal companies shipping to Australia, we are emmigrating to Adelaide in Jan 2007 and shipping our house contents, does anyone have any good experiences with removal companies or any reccommendations??
Was considering using Pickfords as they have their own staff in Australia and do not use agents.

Hi
We used John Masons and found them Fab.
The packing at our end was professional and quickly done, also had a great laugh with them, which was very much needed at a very stressful time
This end was another company, again really nice guys and all arrived ok, a couple of breakages (glass in picture, and a big terracotta pot-which I fixed as was a present from my parents in Spain) but I kind of expected a few bits as its rather a long way !!! no matter how careful, it just needs that wrong touch!!!
but all in all a very good experience and I would definitely recommend them, also I bartered with price and they came down... so happy days
Jane
x
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:33 am
lotte

charlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nice
Cool Re: Any intl removals recommendations?

Originally Posted by scallyuk
We did it ourselves. Saved almost a grand and a half (GBP) and did the quarantine check without getting a box opened.

Quarantine guy was originally from Portsmouth, He admitted that they can be very picky so recommends it's better to be at the check yourself. That way you can answer any questions before the boxes need to get opened.

His list of concerns were those Big african statues, - don't bring em.
Guns, the hassle is more than it's worth. If you need a gun that badly qualify in OZ for a licence and buy one there.

Any wooden furniture you can't quote an internationally known supplier of.

We took a load of stuff and he didn't even look at it once I said where it came from- IKEA. Apparently their stuff is treated to an international standard so the quarantine guys aren't worried about it.

Make your packing list as detailed as possible. If it's vague they will open a couple "just to see" sand if they find anything they have almost unlimited powers to charge you for cleaning , irradiation, They will also charge for locksmiths if you have padlocked anything and don't supply the key immediately.

Neil

Hi - can you give me any clues about antique furniture then? I have an old sideboard/dresser/chest of drawers etc. will that be a problem?
any info gratefully received!
thanks
Lotte