Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any info on Redcliffe, please????

Any info on Redcliffe, please????

Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Morven33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any info on Redcliffe, please????

Hi All, new to this site, great information so far!!!!

My husband flew out to Brisbane last week and is trying to secure us a rental in Redcliffe. (He started work for Energex this week). I've looked up the websites for the schools etc. (I have two kids 14 and 8) and they look great, but just wondered if anyone could tell me what its really like in this area, enough for the kids to do, nice restaurants, etc. My husband says its beautiful.

Anything anyone can tell me would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Morven
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:36 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any info on Redcliffe, please????

It is nice There has been lots of threads on the area so you might get some good info if you do a search on Redcliffe.

Originally Posted by Morven33

My husband flew out to Brisbane last week and is trying to secure us a rental in Redcliffe. (He started work for Energex this week). I've looked up the websites for the schools etc. (I have two kids 14 and 8) and they look great, but just wondered if anyone could tell me what its really like in this area, enough for the kids to do, nice restaurants, etc. My husband says its beautiful.

Cheers

Morven
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:39 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Redcliffe. For kids there is a large skate park where all the kids seem to hang out, two cinema complexes, the usual guides and scouts and the lagoon with basketball courts etc. There are also good swimming beaches. For little kids there is a great park in Scarborough that has big old climbing trees in a big playground overlooking the sea with bbqs and shelters provided.

There are alot of schools here as well. There are some I have taught supply at and I wouldn't recommend them but there is a mix of private and state schools on the peninsula.

Housing is still relatively cheap but going up because it is near the sea and the developers are now starting to knock most of the old housing down for seaside apartment blocks. Traditionally Redcliffe has been a low income area so there are a few social problems but nothing to the scale of the same sort of areas in the UK. This is changing slightly as its prime development land by the sea is tending to 'gentrify' some parts.

The shopping is quite good and you could realistically never leave Redcliffe because everything is here. Jobs are hard to come by here though so most people commute to the city. The problem is there is no train station here and never will be (as much as locals protest) so many people need to drive or catch the bus to Sandgate (over the bridge about 15 minutes away to catch a train into work. My journey into work in the CBD takes me an hour door to door. However being able to walk our dog alongside the beach in the evenings and the rest of seaside living makes it worth it.

For checking out property prices on Realestate.com.au search using suburb names Woody Point, Scarborough, Clontarf, Margate for seaside properties and Kippa Ring, Rothwell and Redcliffe for more inland properties.
Google Earth will also give you a feel for the area.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi Alicecat

Thanks for the information. My husband has (fingers crossed) managed to secure a rental for us in Redcliffe. Out of interest can you tell me which schools you wouldn't recommend? I'm hoping to send my daughter to Scarborough State School.

Cheers

Morven
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:07 pm
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all

Hi Alicecat

Thanks for the information. My husband has (fingers crossed) managed to secure a rental for us in Redcliffe. Out of interest can you tell me which schools you wouldn't recommend? I'm hoping to send my daughter to Scarborough State School.

Cheers

Morven
Hi morven we are thinking about redcliffe also if you contact the local council via email thay will send you out loads of stuff on the area thay did for us. i emailed them and got the info a week later. By the way where did you get your rental. We could all start a scotch corner out there we got 2 kids 10 and 7.

cheers steve
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:55 pm
LIVING THE DREAM!!!!!!!!!

Cameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevelaird
Hi morven we are thinking about redcliffe also if you contact the local council via email thay will send you out loads of stuff on the area thay did for us. i emailed them and got the info a week later. By the way where did you get your rental. We could all start a scotch corner out there we got 2 kids 10 and 7.

cheers steve
My mum lives in Redcliffe so we will go there initially. Have had info sent on Hercules State School - anyone any experience of this school?

You can find lots of info on www.redcliffe.qld.gov.au
It is worth a look.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stevelaird

cheers steve
Hi Steve

Luckily for us, we know someone, who knew someone, who knew someone's sister!! If you get what I mean! Rentals are quite hard to come by and I think my husband was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. If I hear anything from him, I'll let know. When are you moving out?

Morven
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:00 pm
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all

Hi Steve

Luckily for us, we know someone, who knew someone, who knew someone's sister!! If you get what I mean! Rentals are quite hard to come by and I think my husband was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. If I hear anything from him, I'll let know. When are you moving out?

Morven
we have just started the our application so hope to be there by this time next year at the very latest.

cheers steve
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Cheers

Morven
We spent a day there last summer and popped in to a school called "Humpybong State School" to check it out. We just couldn't resist the name! Seemed fine to us, but obviously better local knowledge should take precedence.