Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any info appreciated

any info appreciated

Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:24 am
Just Joined

oldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud of
Default any info appreciated

This is my first post. we are looking to go to victoria on an SIR visa (is this a good visa to have, has anybody got any personal experience of them) We are looking for a better quality of life, more outdoorsy lifrstyle, better weather, less overcrowded etc. Having read some of the posts on this forum I am seriosly doubting whether this will actually be the case. I have a friend in Brisbane who earns $700 a week has a house with a pool 3 kids and a relatively cofortable life, but from what you say on here this is not really a true reflection of life. If I can get a job I am looking at earning $1000 a week would this really afford a good life style. What is the weather really like in victoria and does an average weekly shop cost $400.

The main crux of the matter being I don't want all the expence and hassle of emigrating only to find it just as expensive or more so than in the uk and the rat race is just as strong and quality of life is the same or worse.

Any comments/advice from people already living in the victoria area would be appreciated on any of the above matters.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:45 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any info appreciated

Originally Posted by oldhamisadump
This is my first post. we are looking to go to victoria on an SIR visa (is this a good visa to have, has anybody got any personal experience of them) We are looking for a better quality of life, more outdoorsy lifrstyle, better weather, less overcrowded etc. Having read some of the posts on this forum I am seriosly doubting whether this will actually be the case. I have a friend in Brisbane who earns $700 a week has a house with a pool 3 kids and a relatively cofortable life, but from what you say on here this is not really a true reflection of life. If I can get a job I am looking at earning $1000 a week would this really afford a good life style. What is the weather really like in victoria and does an average weekly shop cost $400.

The main crux of the matter being I don't want all the expence and hassle of emigrating only to find it just as expensive or more so than in the uk and the rat race is just as strong and quality of life is the same or worse.

Any comments/advice from people already living in the victoria area would be appreciated on any of the above matters.
australia is cheaper on the whole but dont just think of cost, think of quality of life. The uk is crap ! Isnt it why you want to move ? Seriously, anyplace HAS to be better than the UK.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
australia is cheaper on the whole but dont just think of cost, think of quality of life. The uk is crap ! Isnt it why you want to move ? Seriously, anyplace HAS to be better than the UK.
I know you are only trying to wind people up but really, pull your head out of your backside and look around. The UK is a stunningly beautiful country with stacks going for it. At the moment the people in charge are not doing the best for it but to say that anyplace has to be better is just pure stupidity.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:00 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi oldhamisadump [is it ].....and welcome to the forum

I can't tell you things from a "Victoria" perspective and I came on a skilled visa so cant comment on that either....but I can tell you from someone living in Brisbane.

For us, we have a better quality of life even though earning far less than UK, we also have a far better lifestyle for us i.e more "outdoorsey" but then this was one of our reasons for moving here. The weather is certainly far, far better for us. Blue skies are the norm rather than exception and where we live there is a real feeling of openess and space and we feel like birds let out of a cage [and we lived in a nice part of Yorkshire, Bronte country]

As for our weekly food shop. We are a family of 3 adults [me, hubby and son 17] ....and we eat very well [too bloody well some might say...lol]...and we spend on average $250 per week on food/drink. We do not skimp on anything i.e we eat fresh veg, fruit and meat and also the crappy foods like chrisps, chocolate and odd cream cake

What you have to remember is everybody has a different take on life, different opinions, different tastes, different habbits etc, etc and there are soo many variables to peoples lives that it is almost impossible to go by anyone elses views or standards. My views and opinions will be different to others and so will yours and vice versa.

Australia is NOT UK.

There are good bits and not so good bits, Aus is not utopia, and for some it's not their cup o tea whilst for others they love it and couldn't / wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Reality is it's all a big risk. We all think getting the visa is the hard part when in fact that's the relatively easy bit. And the reality is you don't know if it'll work for you or your family until you get here. You wont know how much things will cost, how much you earn, what standard of living..until you get here. All I can say is the majority of people who emigrate to Aus [based on various stats previously provided on this site] demonstrate they can and do make a go of it.

Reality is it's a big risk and your choice.

Reality is some love it some hate it.

Only time will tell....but whatever you decide, good luck
Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:11 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

#

Try and get a STNI visa if at all possible the SIR visa doesn't seem to be getting any good reports on the forum..!!!

As for the cost of living etc.etc.....you always spend what you earn and if you earn less then cut your cloth accordingly....
Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

have you had a look at these sites?

http://www.australia-migration.com/p..._calculator/95

http://www.gomatilda.co.uk/calculator/index.cfm
Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:00 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Oz is not paradise, it is what you make it, as above some people love it some hate it. I have read a lot on this forum where people earn a lot less than they did in the UK but there quality of life is much better. I don't think you can put a price on that. Well thats the reason were going.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:17 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz

I can't tell you things from a "Victoria" perspective and I came on a skilled visa so cant comment on that either....but I can tell you from someone living in Brisbane.

For us, we have a better quality of life even though earning far less than UK, we also have a far better lifestyle for us i.e more "outdoorsey" but then this was one of our reasons for moving here. The weather is certainly far, far better for us. Blue skies are the norm rather than exception and where we live there is a real feeling of openess and space and we feel like birds let out of a cage [and we lived in a nice part of Yorkshire, Bronte country]

As for our weekly food shop. We are a family of 3 adults [me, hubby and son 17] ....and we eat very well [too bloody well some might say...lol]...and we spend on average $250 per week on food/drink. We do not skimp on anything i.e we eat fresh veg, fruit and meat and also the crappy foods like chrisps, chocolate and odd cream cake

What you have to remember is everybody has a different take on life, different opinions, different tastes, different habbits etc, etc and there are soo many variables to peoples lives that it is almost impossible to go by anyone elses views or standards. My views and opinions will be different to others and so will yours and vice versa.

Australia is NOT UK.

There are good bits and not so good bits, Aus is not utopia, and for some it's not their cup o tea whilst for others they love it and couldn't / wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Reality is it's all a big risk. We all think getting the visa is the hard part when in fact that's the relatively easy bit. And the reality is you don't know if it'll work for you or your family until you get here. You wont know how much things will cost, how much you earn, what standard of living..until you get here. All I can say is the majority of people who emigrate to Aus [based on various stats previously provided on this site] demonstrate they can and do make a go of it.

cracking positive perspective
Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steve`o
cracking positive perspective
Cheers m8
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:28 am
Just Joined

oldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz

Australia is NOT UK.

Thanks for that it's nice to hear something positive for a change, most people seem to use this forum as a whinge board instead of concentrating on the positive aspects of life in oz.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:40 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any chance of visiting first...That way you might get a feel for the place and can see for yourself first hand what life might be like. The first time I went to Oz was when I validated my Visa and yes there was expense before that ect but I wanted to see if I liked it....and I did. As others have said it's not for everyone and there are good and bad points in every place...but it's a different way of life with different people and new expereinces. Only got one life and I say live it (even if it is a struggle!).

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Thanks for that it's nice to hear something positive for a change, most people seem to use this forum as a whinge board instead of concentrating on the positive aspects of life in oz.
Aye but to be fair everyone has a different view point don't they.

I reckon it's important not to ignore anybody's viewpoint as everyone sees things differently. However what I find useful is, if I find a particular poster who talks sense, I go through and read all their former posts.

You soon get to see who are the constant whingers, who are the agitators, who are the rose tinted, who over exagerates, who is contrary etc, etc.

This will help make sense of it all and will show you balance.

At the end of the day..... only you can decide.

Good luck....life is what you make it I reckon m8
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:24 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
The uk is crap ! Isnt it why you want to move ? Seriously, anyplace HAS to be better than the UK.

You're an idiot.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

louisethepom will become famous soon enoughlouisethepom will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Re: any info appreciated

I live in Victoria in a town called Mornington, it is a bit more exspensive that say Somerville, which is about 15mins away, it really depends on where you want to live. Also with the job situation it depends what you do to how much you get paid. Carpenter/Joiner can earn up to $40 an hour where as if you work in a Supermarket it will be up to $20 an hour. The lifestyle is definatley more laid back, if the aussie way of life was anymore laid back they would fall over. The roads and pace is slower and the place is under popualted, the whole of Australia fits in London alone.
I hope this helps, feel free to pm to find out more.