Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any ideas where is best to work

Any ideas where is best to work

Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

geordies4life will become famous soon enoughgeordies4life will become famous soon enough
Default Any ideas where is best to work

Hi i have just started my journey to move to oz. i am a nurse been qualified a year. i have just started my skills assessment process going over on a 136 visa. my partner is a tiler but has been doing welding jobs as well for about 6 years i have two daughters mia who is 2 and a half what a lovely age (ha ha) and paige who is the new comer to the family at 7 weeks. i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on hospitals that would be more ro less what i do now i work at newcastles freeman hospital on a cardiac intenisive care unit for children love what i do so would like so stay in the same field if possible. i would like to move to bisbane i have noticed the prince charles hospital any thoughts.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:45 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any ideas where is best to work

Me again, you must just be round the corner from me i'm in Heaton.

When we were out there last year i'm sure they are building a new childrens hospital in Brisbane cant remember what they are calling it though, could be part of Royal Children's Hospital.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/rch/

Kaye
Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

geordies4life will become famous soon enoughgeordies4life will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wardy2
Me again, you must just be round the corner from me i'm in Heaton.

When we were out there last year i'm sure they are building a new childrens hospital in Brisbane cant remember what they are calling it though, could be part of Royal Children's Hospital.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/rch/

Kaye
we are in lemington so not that far away thanks for the link. you are going to think we are mad but never been to oz. what do you think of brisbane any nice areas you can recommend that is near the beach for the kids.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 3:26 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest the beaches of Brisbane are pretty non existent you either have to go North to the Sunshine Coast or south to the Gold coast both a trek from central Brisbane if travelling at rush hour.

The closest place I believe with proper ozzy beach will be Redcliffe on Sunshine Coast, never been there though so cant comment on it.

The area we had considered living in was Bayside in Redlandshire or redlands as it is more often known it is on the coast of Moreton bay. The beaches are not spectacular not like on the Gold or Sunshine caost but the ones there are, are small and family friendly, I believe the area is more commonly known as having mudflatts not beaches.

You can get a water taxi to Stradbroke island about 20 mins and go to some of the amazing beaches there and see the whales, dolphins and turtles.

Wellington Point was my favourite small beach good schools etc

Good trainline in from some Bayside area with Cleveland being the end of the line.

I'm sure somone else will give you their opinion on other areas but this is the only area of Brisbane suburbs we looked at.

kaye
Old Sep 8th 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

To be honest the beaches of Brisbane are pretty non existent you either have to go North to the Sunshine Coast or south to the Gold coast both a trek from central Brisbane if travelling at rush hour.

The closest place I believe with proper ozzy beach will be Redcliffe on Sunshine Coast, never been there though so cant comment on it.

The area we had considered living in was Bayside in Redlandshire or redlands as it is more often known it is on the coast of Moreton bay. The beaches are not spectacular not like on the Gold or Sunshine caost but the ones there are, are small and family friendly, I believe the area is more commonly known as having mudflatts not beaches.

You can get a water taxi to Stradbroke island about 20 mins and go to some of the amazing beaches there and see the whales, dolphins and turtles.

Wellington Point was my favourite small beach good schools etc

Good trainline in from some Bayside area with Cleveland being the end of the line.

I'm sure somone else will give you their opinion on other areas but this is the only area of Brisbane suburbs we looked at.

kaye
thank you very much for all the advice i have so many questions. how long would it take to travel by car from sunshine coast say redcliffe to chermside in brisbane. when are you moving to oz.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 3:57 pm
aka DORIS

We are planning to be there in the new year hopefully we want to go to Cairns with wellington Point close second.

Cant really advise on distances but I use this website to look at distances from place to place when the link opens look under news and features and click on trip planner.

Gives you ideas of routes and distances for all over bit like the AA or RAC here its really useful.

http://www.racq.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/...e_ENA_HTML.htm

Kaye
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

We are planning to be there in the new year hopefully we want to go to Cairns with wellington Point close second.

Cant really advise on distances but I use this website to look at distances from place to place when the link opens look under news and features and click on trip planner.

Gives you ideas of routes and distances for all over bit like the AA or RAC here its really useful.

http://www.racq.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/...e_ENA_HTML.htm

Kaye
thank you for link really helpful
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

LM109 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Any ideas where is best to work

Hi, your best bet would be to register an expression of interest with queensland health on www.health.qld.gov.au and follow the work for us link. I'm an occupational therapist and I have been offered a post in Toowoomba, can't wait .
I used this site to put cv in etc and I am currently waiting for paperwork from them so I can start on the road to getting a visa. They have a recruitment unit and I have found them very helpfull so far.
Good Luck with the job hunting
Lisa
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LM109
Hi, your best bet would be to register an expression of interest with queensland health on www.health.qld.gov.au and follow the work for us link. I'm an occupational therapist and I have been offered a post in Toowoomba, can't wait .
I used this site to put cv in etc and I am currently waiting for paperwork from them so I can start on the road to getting a visa. They have a recruitment unit and I have found them very helpfull so far.
Lisa
thanks for that link just had a look 2 jobs that is right up my street just alittle early for me to apply as i will not get my visa though till about augest 2008 thats if all goes well. when would you start applying for jobs.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geordies4life
thanks for that link just had a look 2 jobs that is right up my street just alittle early for me to apply as i will not get my visa though till about augest 2008 thats if all goes well. when would you start applying for jobs.
Hi all, I'd start the application sooner rather than later as they hold interviews every so often in the UK, I think they are interviewing nurses or midwives in october 07. It's not a fast process and you might get some relocation asistance from Qld Health. Not sure how it works for nurses but if you have to get your qualifications recognised to work over there then that would be the first job to do.
I had to have my quals recognised with COTRB and that took 3 months plus a month to put all paperwork together.
I had interview last june, provisional offer july, contact with recruitment unit and district health service august, formal offer 31/08/07. Waiting for contracts and stuff as I type. Following all that I still have to wait for them to put in nomination and then apply for visa, have meds/xrays etc. Would like to be out there straight after xmas

It might be worth expressing interest now and having interviews etc but you can always let them know when you intend to move over.

Lisa
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the advice, i think thats what i will do then like you says by the time they interview ect times getting on thank you let you know how i get on
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:02 am
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of

Bayside suburbs are really nice, coochie mudlow island and straddie a short ferry away when you want a proper quiet family beach, gold coast 1 hr down the road when you want a very popular beach, Sunshine coast up the road when you want something in between.

Its good to base yourself in Brissy for work IMO, beaches are not far away and if you lived right next to one beach you would still want to go somewhere different, would'nt you?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:07 am
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of

Lisa
For your information, I was up in Toowoomba today doing some work and every time I go there I think what a nice place it is. It is somewhere we did not even think of or even no about, and I am sure is always overlooked. A lot bigger than you would think and really nice views, countryside etc. Good Choice.

Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aussie_Pom
For your information, I was up in Toowoomba today doing some work and every time I go there I think what a nice place it is. It is somewhere we did not even think of or even no about, and I am sure is always overlooked. A lot bigger than you would think and really nice views, countryside etc. Good Choice.

Hi, Toowoomba chose me really. I had a look at it on the net and it's seems to live up to it's name 'The Garden City'.
The post I've been offered is just what I'm looking for. Good news though as the team contacted me this morning for some additional info so they can submit visa ?nomination? at their end. That means I should be able to submit e457 soon !!!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, Toowoomba chose me really. I had a look at it on the net and it's seems to live up to it's name 'The Garden City'.
The post I've been offered is just what I'm looking for. Good news though as the team contacted me this morning for some additional info so they can submit visa ?nomination? at their end. That means I should be able to submit e457 soon !!!
excellent thats great news