Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any ideas if there's much priamry teaching work in Vic?

Any ideas if there's much priamry teaching work in Vic?

Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

tynajon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any ideas if there's much priamry teaching work in Vic?

Hi, Im a primary school teacher in the UK awaiting to recieve visa for Victoria any time soon. I would ideally like to secure work to go to (even if supply/short term work) so if anyone knows of any work agencies worth registering with or advice then Im all ears. Have been looking forward to moving to Vic for many years now (have lived in WA & QLD) for a year back in 2002 so lots may have changed there. Have excellent & secure job in UK & happy to leave it all behind but is getting regular teaching work in Vic within say 6 months of arriving (aiming at March-April 2009) realistic? especially with all the recent global credit crunch.

Last edited by tynajon; Nov 20th 2008 at 7:48 pm. Reason: want to add a bit more detail
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:56 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any ideas if there's much priamry teaching work in Vic?

I'm not sure how the global credit crunch will effect primary school teaching - surely there are still lots of kids to be educated! I can't see that being cut back.

Have a search on the Vic Gov website - and also www.seek.com.au and www.careerone.com.au

Good luck.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tking
I'm not sure how the global credit crunch will effect primary school teaching - surely there are still lots of kids to be educated! I can't see that being cut back.

Have a search on the Vic Gov website - and also www.seek.com.au and www.careerone.com.au

Good luck.
credit crunch is affecting some private schools...

It's rare to get a job before you come (I did but I'm secondary science which is a shortage subject, and the job is in a s**t school)

www.education.vic.gov.au/schooljobs is the site for all state school jobs- worth a look.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you to all who have replied to this thread. I will look into the sites you have recommeded and take it from there. Any more words of wisdom are always welcome!
Cheers again
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

I take it your not teaching English? "priamry?"
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably going to be much like anywhere else in Australia - there are jobs but they are usually in places that you dont want to live in (or perhaps teach in) If you are flexible about where you are prepared to live and dont object to Orbost or Echuca and aren't stuck on Melbourne bayside then you have a better chance of picking something up. Usually though, education departments like to do the eyeball test before they appoint someone.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:09 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tynajon
Hi, Im a primary school teacher in the UK awaiting to recieve visa for Victoria any time soon. I would ideally like to secure work to go to (even if supply/short term work) so if anyone knows of any work agencies worth registering with or advice then Im all ears. Have been looking forward to moving to Vic for many years now (have lived in WA & QLD) for a year back in 2002 so lots may have changed there. Have excellent & secure job in UK & happy to leave it all behind but is getting regular teaching work in Vic within say 6 months of arriving (aiming at March-April 2009) realistic? especially with all the recent global credit crunch.
Get in touch directly with some of the inner melbourne primary schools. Some have taken an increase in intake so big this month they will not cope with current staff resources. Armadale primary for example biggest intake in 10 years due to people taking their kids out of local private and putting them into local state.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hi

My neighbour's newly qualified and been for 6 interviews in the last few weeks - always coming second to more experienced people. So the jobs are out there but there's also strong competition.

Best of luck.

Carolyn
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=bu1lder;6997388]I take it your not teaching English? "priamry?"[/QUOTE

Very good! Luckily with primary Ive only got to teach a little of everything so can make up for my lazy spelling. I wont admit to the embarrassment of having a first class honors degree in English in Education after a boo boo like that.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm heading down to Victoria in January having just qualified in primary up here in Queensland (my husband is now going back to do his Masters in Vic so we've decided to make the move and settle down there). Some of my friends from my degree moved down to Melbourne for their internships, and the general advice from the principals of their internship schools was that the outlook for 2009 is positive in state schools, and not to worry if no work is lined up by January as a lot of teachers hand in their notice during the holidays and so more positions will come up then. I did read somewhere recently that they estimated approx 2000 new teachers needed for 2009, but unfortunately (and most importantly) I can't remember if that came from a reliable source like the Department itself, or from another website. It's hard to get an honest view of the real situation. Although there may be a lot of vacancies, there are also a lot of universities in Victoria offering teaching degrees, and so I guess the jobs are snapped up fast.

I'll be going to Ballarat to be with family, and although I'm applying for all the Graduate positions advertised in the area, I also know I'm going against all the Ballarat Uni graduates who may already 'have their foot in the door' with some schools from prac experiences etc. So I'm going down anyway with the intention to get as much supply/contract work as possible - good way to get to know the schools and staff and hopefully stand in with more of a chance when next year's jobs come up

Like Quoll says, if you're willing to move anywhere, you're in with much more of a chance. Even by mid-2009, you're going to have teachers in rural areas taking leave so you may just get lucky and nab a contract until the end of the year! I also think that if you're coming alone or have no restrictions on location, there are some amazingly beautiful rural communities in Victoria.

With regards to agencies for supply, I have yet to look into that so I'm not sure sorry. I have heard though that they take a cut of wages which is a bit annoying - here in Queensland I get my supply straight through the education department itself. I think the advice from Victoria is to contact each local education office to find out how the schools in that district find relief staff.

Good luck and hope the next few months are plain sailing as you await your visa and get your plans together

(sorry I just re-read and that sounds very me, me, me but I'm sort of in the same position as you and just want to share what I think my outlook is going to have to be, as much as I want my own class for the year!)
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Any ideas if there's much priamry teaching work in Vic?

Thank you very much for your kind regards and all opinions are useful. Researching from the wrong side of the planet is very limiting so advice from persons actually there is very handy. Cheers