British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Any Ideas on Cutting Up Branches (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-ideas-cutting-up-branches-433789/)

MartinLuther Mar 11th 2007 6:42 am

Any Ideas on Cutting Up Branches

Hello,

I've got lots of branches that I want to cut up (and use in a fire). Has anyone got any good ideas on how to do this quickly.

Previously I have tried a chain saw but this is a little slow as you have to clamp the branch down several times. Also it's a bit like cracking a nut with a hammer.

My dad used to have a saw bench (circular rip saw) for doing this but I don't seem to be able to find any here. The only benches I can find are for doing wordwork and carpentry - I'm guessing that these tables would not be really good for logs.

I've tried using a hand held circular saw but again it's not really designed for this and is no good for cutting branched thicker than about 2cm (20mm in builder speak :D ).

I've also tried a manual pruning saw but my right arm is getting really muscular compared to my left and people are starting to ask questions. ;)

Thanks for any help.

Cheers
:)

aston man Mar 11th 2007 6:55 am

Re: Any Ideas on Cutting Up Branches

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 4506195)
Hello,

I've got lots of branches that I want to cut up (and use in a fire). Has anyone got any good ideas on how to do this quickly.

Previously I have tried a chain saw but this is a little slow as you have to clamp the branch down several times. Also it's a bit like cracking a nut with a hammer.

My dad used to have a saw bench (circular rip saw) for doing this but I don't seem to be able to find any here. The only benches I can find are for doing wordwork and carpentry - I'm guessing that these tables would not be really good for logs.

I've tried using a hand held circular saw but again it's not really designed for this and is no good for cutting branched thicker than about 2cm (20mm in builder speak :D ).

I've also tried a manual pruning saw but my right arm is getting really muscular compared to my left and people are starting to ask questions. ;)

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

cant you make an x shaped bench to put the branch in then use the chain saw....

ast

Deadmeat Mar 11th 2007 6:56 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 4506195)
Hello,

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

I tried a manual bush saw but decided after about ... ohhh ... 3 minutes ... that this beastie was the thing to have ... it's a mechanical grip thingy that makes short work of it as long you are reasonably close to an electricity point ...

---------- From the Bunnings Site --------------
BLACK & DECKER ALLIGATOR POWERED LOPPER 500W
F/L 3410008

100mm cutting capacity
Clamping jaws
Spring-loaded blade guards
Dual safety switch
Plenty of power for heavy cutting whilst maintaining light weight
Grab and control work for better control and accuracy
Guards automatically protect blade after application to ensure user safety
Dual switch enforces user to keep both hands on unit during operation
---------------------------

MartinLuther Mar 11th 2007 7:11 am

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 4506223)
cant you make an x shaped bench to put the branch in then use the chain saw....

ast

I find that this is good for the larger branches but not so good for the smaller stuff as it all starts jumping around a bit. It's also a bit hammer and nut and can be a little slow. It also means I have to wear my chaps which makes me look like the cowboy in the Village People.

Thanks

MartinLuther Mar 11th 2007 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Deadmeat (Post 4506229)
I tried a manual bush saw but decided after about ... ohhh ... 3 minutes ... that this beastie was the thing to have ... it's a mechanical grip thingy that makes short work of it as long you are reasonably close to an electricity point ...

F/L 3410008

100mm cutting capacity
Clamping jaws
Dual safety switch

That's a nice looking beast. That could come in handy, although I'd have to borrow a genny to run it.

I wasn't clear in the OP but I need to cut up lots of branches that have already fallen. We get tonnes of them every year.

Thanks

Jacqui Mar 11th 2007 7:26 am

My husband chainsaws a branch down at the part where it joins the tree. After it's landed on the ground, he chainsaws it further into big chunks of wood. Then he uses an axe to split these into sizeable logs for the fire. It's hard work and usually takes some hours, even with my help getting them loaded up onto the trailer to move to the other part of the garden. The logs are not good for burning straightaway though, it's better when they've dried out. We have a big log pile, made up mainly of branches that have come down in the wind. When we get the fire going this winter, we'll be using logs that are about two years old and well dried-out. Smaller pieces are kept in a separate pile for use as tinder (to get the fire started). Because we had a good tidy-up when we first moved here, we have enough logs to last a few winters, and spend a few days each year topping up the pile. Unlike our neighbour who goes out and chops wood every day during the winter, then barrows it back to the house, just enough to keep the fire going for the day. Too bad if he doesn't feel like chopping wood one night, the family will have to go cold!

Short answer to your question - no I don't think it can be done quickly! But you'll burn off a lot of calories doing it, and will save money not having to buy it in by the trailer-load.

aston man Mar 11th 2007 7:34 am

i know this is slightly off topic,but i looked at a peice of land last month,well it was a wood..they told me i could cut enough trees down for the house,,about bloody 30:D ..

i would of thought that would leave 30 trees..

can you just cut down what you want?

Jacqui Mar 11th 2007 1:55 pm

No, you are only allowed to clear trees for the area which will contain the house and garden, and any additional improvments within the building envelope. You are allowed to cut down a "reasonable" amount of trees for firewood. And I'm sure no-one would complain if you took down a tree that was dead/dying/likely to topple or drop branches. But you're not supposed to just wipe out trees because you don't like them and would prefer a cleared block. We went on a course recently, run by the local council, and were shocked to find out that aerial photographs are taken every 2 or 3 years to check for such destruction. We purchased an aerial view taken in 2005 (to enable us to better plan our property). We did read in the local paper last year about someone who had cleared 100's of trees from his property, and had to pay a massive fine.

Amazulu Mar 11th 2007 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Deadmeat (Post 4506229)

F/L 3410008

100mm cutting capacity
Clamping jaws
Dual safety switch

I love power tools and this looks like a good one. How much is it? I was chopping trees and branches down today. I used my chainsaw and long handled Loppers as it was mainly smaller stuff.

MartinLuther Mar 11th 2007 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jacqui (Post 4506261)
My husband chainsaws a branch down at the part where it joins the tree. After it's landed on the ground, he chainsaws it further into big chunks of wood. Then he uses an axe to split these into sizeable logs for the fire. It's hard work and usually takes some hours, even with my help getting them loaded up onto the trailer to move to the other part of the garden. The logs are not good for burning straightaway though, it's better when they've dried out. We have a big log pile, made up mainly of branches that have come down in the wind. When we get the fire going this winter, we'll be using logs that are about two years old and well dried-out. Smaller pieces are kept in a separate pile for use as tinder (to get the fire started). Because we had a good tidy-up when we first moved here, we have enough logs to last a few winters, and spend a few days each year topping up the pile. Unlike our neighbour who goes out and chops wood every day during the winter, then barrows it back to the house, just enough to keep the fire going for the day. Too bad if he doesn't feel like chopping wood one night, the family will have to go cold!

Short answer to your question - no I don't think it can be done quickly! But you'll burn off a lot of calories doing it, and will save money not having to buy it in by the trailer-load.

Thanks Jacqui. Like your husband I chainsaw the big stuff where it falls but don't really use the saw on stuff that is smaller than about 4". I would really like to get a saw bench like my dad had but I haven't found one yet. Like you guys I like to get the supply ready before the winter.

Cheers

Deadmeat Mar 12th 2007 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 4507098)
I love power tools and this looks like a good one. How much is it? I was chopping trees and branches down today. I used my chainsaw and long handled Loppers as it was mainly smaller stuff.

If memory serves we paid $160 on a special ... dunno if it's a good price now but it's a pretty handy thing to have around.

My next purchase will be something to break-up a concrete slab that an old shed used to stand on ... something petrol driven ... and big ... actually I may hire one ... a really BIG one ... :D

Amazulu Mar 12th 2007 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Deadmeat (Post 4508620)
If memory serves we paid $160 on a special ... dunno if it's a good price now but it's a pretty handy thing to have around.

My next purchase will be something to break-up a concrete slab that an old shed used to stand on ... something petrol driven ... and big ... actually I may hire one ... a really BIG one ... :D

Sounds great. Tools that break things are the best. I recently bought a petrol powered mulcher/wood chipper. It's awesome and chips branches up to 75mm. Sweet.

ozzieeagle Mar 12th 2007 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 4508719)
Sounds great. Tools that break things are the best. I recently bought a petrol powered mulcher/wood chipper. It's awesome and chips branches up to 75mm. Sweet.

Gawd, I hope there arn't any South Australians reading this page :p

Womat Mar 12th 2007 5:07 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 4508798)
Gawd, I hope there arn't any South Australians reading this page :p

LOL

They are already quite conversant on choosing the best tools for the job.

Deadmeat Mar 12th 2007 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 4508719)

I've started looking at the stuff the council use and getting machinery envy ... they recently cut down a huge tree in the CBD and the mulcher they used was awesome, straight into the back of a truck ... I think I may need professional help 'cos I nearly nicked one of their ride-on lawnmowers too ... :D