Any ideas

Old Oct 18th 2003, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any ideas

Hi there

My husband is in the process of applying for Australian Citizenship by Descent. We know that all of his papers have now been sent to Canberra for "final processing" as they put it.

His mother was born in Australia and although she spent most of her life in the UK she never became a British Citizen.

Has any one else gone to Australia via this way, and if so, can you give us any information.

Many thanks

Sharon and Keith Pasquill
Old Oct 18th 2003, 1:09 pm
WBB

Default Re: Any ideas

Originally posted by Pasquill
Hi there

My husband is in the process of applying for Australian Citizenship by Descent. We know that all of his papers have now been sent to Canberra for "final processing" as they put it.

His mother was born in Australia and although she spent most of her life in the UK she never became a British Citizen.

Has any one else gone to Australia via this way, and if so, can you give us any information.

Many thanks

Sharon and Keith Pasquill

i have just got citizenship by descent for my 2 kids, it was a very easy painless process.

i sent the forms to london and had the citizenship papers back about 4 weeks later.

i dont know how old your husband is but i am assuming he is over 25? if so i know it is a little more complicated but i think everything should be ok.

good luck

Old Oct 18th 2003, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is 46. I think it has been more difficult because his mother died in 1990 so we have spent a long time trying to get the required papers together.

We are going over to Brisbane on the 17th December for 2 weeks and then on to Sydney. It would just be nice to know if his application has been passed before we leave.

We will let you know how we get on.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Default What a wait

Yesterday my husband received his certificate of Australian citizenship..just in time for our trip to Brisbane next month. He is now going to apply for his Australian passport but can anyone tell me how I go about obtaining a visa to move to Australia with him.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:59 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: What a wait

Originally posted by Pasquill
Yesterday my husband received his certificate of Australian citizenship..just in time for our trip to Brisbane next month. He is now going to apply for his Australian passport but can anyone tell me how I go about obtaining a visa to move to Australia with him.
You need to go onto the immigration website and download all the paperwork for obtaining a spouse visa. This is how my husband got here. It took me a few weeks to prepare all the paperwork. You have to have a medical and get a police clearance which takes the longest. The visa itself costs around 500 pounds but in all took us about 4 months to get.

Good luck
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

We are currently / shortly applying for citizenship by descent for our two kids and for this it is straight forward, just needed my ( aus ) birth certificate.

I can check the form for you.
Hang on........................................

The form states :
Any person born outside australia between 26 january 1949 and 15 january 1974 can apply for registration as an australian citizen by descent if :
A natural parent was an australian citizen at the time of the person's birth and that parent is also an australian citizen when this application is lodged, or if that parent is deceased,the parent was an australian citizen at the time of death; AND ( lol ) they failed for an acceptable reason to become registered as an australian citizen AND they are of good character ( phew )

An " acceptable reason " for not previously registering would be if " they were unaware of the requirement of registration by decent " ( 1 reason from 4 )

Required documents would be :
Full birth certificate of the person to be registered,showing details of natural parents,
Evidence that at least one natural parent was an australian citizen at the time of birth of the person to be registered ( full birth certificate or certificate of australian citizenship ) .

I obtained my birth certificate online via the registrar of births, deaths and marriages in New south wales.

the form is number 118 and available here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/118.pdf

hope this helps, you can also pose your question in the immigration forum ( this being the cultural one ) as we did some time ago, the information we got was excellent and really helped.

Paul
Good luck.
Hope this helps
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Ahem.

bit of a stupid post that really......................

once he has his citizenship, i would guess he should apply for a passport, then you apply on a spouse visa, forms to follow:

price list:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/990i.pdf

spouse visa requires two forms, one for you and a sponsor one for the hubby.

Hubby's sponsorship first:

http://www.dimia.gov.au/allforms/pdf/40sp.pdf

now yours:

http://www.dimia.gov.au/allforms/pdf/47sp.pdf

both forms to be sent together with applicable fees.

Hope i have this right.
Paul