British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Any Ice Hockey fans (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-ice-hockey-fans-197313/)

DavidT Dec 17th 2003 6:45 am

Any Ice Hockey fans

Any ice hockey fans out there, what is the standard like in oz. Can you watch the NHL games from the US. My fav day out with the kids, all kids love the game, so much going on all the time.

Chunky Dec 17th 2003 6:52 am

Absolutely love ice hockey.
Subscribe to NASN on sky.
Favourite team : the islanders.

took our son to watch the manchester storm a couple of years ago and he loved it.

would also like to know if it's available in aus.Baseball too.

Paul

DavidT Dec 17th 2003 6:55 am

Originally posted by Chunky

took our son to watch the manchester storm a couple of years ago and he loved it.

Paul

Weve got Daryl Lypsy back from the storm down here in swindon, the team is crap tho' not enough money poor crowds greedy council, but I know the hockey teams in oz are full of imports so the standard won't be far off the uk.

Badge Dec 17th 2003 8:49 am

it's too 'North American' for me...

Badge

Sunlover Dec 17th 2003 8:58 am

Re: Any Ice Hockey fans

Originally posted by DavidT
Any ice hockey fans out there, what is the standard like in oz. Can you watch the NHL games from the US. My fav day out with the kids, all kids love the game, so much going on all the time.
Yes love it. One of the things I miss most about Canada (even though the US stole all our best players !).

Especially love the punch-ups - v.entertaining.

;)

bondipom Dec 17th 2003 9:14 am

Originally posted by badgersmount
it's too 'North American' for me...

Badge
I loved watching it in the Winter Olympics. Its like a mini world cup.

DavidT Dec 17th 2003 9:49 am

Once the fighting stops youve got a game to watch too.;)
Badgers, this is like rugby honest & tough but for athletes.

Chunky Dec 17th 2003 12:42 pm

there was a guy called " rob trumbley " used to play for the storm as an " enforcer " .
I remember they played a game against sheffield and he was sent to the penalty box, a fight broke out and he jumped over the glass and went piling into the fight.
Bought the son a hockey set for x-mas and he was running round the house saying " dad, i'm rob trumbley ".
I replied " like hell you are lad !!!!!, why can't you be one of the skillfull players instead ? " :rolleyes:

His current favourite team is :

Dallas stars,
Buffalo,
Ducks,
Av's,
Isle's ,
and the devils................sometimes i despair lol, at least it's not the rangers or leafs.

Paul

DavidT Dec 18th 2003 4:45 pm

there was a guy called " rob trumbley " used to play for the storm as an " enforcer " .
I remember they played a game against sheffield and he was sent to the penalty box, a fight broke out and he jumped over the glass and went piling into the fight.
Bought the son a hockey set for x-mas and he was running round the house saying " dad, i'm rob trumbley ".
I replied " like hell you are lad !!!!!, why can't you be one of the skillfull players instead ? " :rolleyes:

His current favourite team is :

Dallas stars,
Buffalo,
Ducks,
Av's,
Isle's ,
and the devils................sometimes i despair lol, at least it's not the rangers or leafs.

Paul
Paul I think the fighting is a skill in iit's own right, goons are good for hockey, they get your side going & show exactly how interesting stratedgy can really be.
:scared: :p

Kentish Man Dec 18th 2003 6:22 pm

Paul
Please, please tell me that we don't have to put up with baseball in Oz or basketball or that stupid version of football they have in the US. Call me old fashioned but I like commercials to revolve around the game not vice versa.

I can live with ice hockey, at least it's reasonably free flowing.

Chunky Dec 21st 2003 9:59 pm

Fastest team game on earth.

Paul

I actually quite like the american sports ( never been too keen on basketball tho ). The americans spend a LOT of time analizing their sports, listening to fans and are not afraid to introduce new rules. How long has the UK been crying out for instant replays over goal-mouth incidents ?

People claim it would slow down the sport but take ice-hockey for example, if a team isn't set-up and ready to play when the ref says then they get hit with a penalty..............keeps things running smoothly.

Have to agree with the adverts tho, way too many of them.