Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Hotel Recommendations for Bangkok and Ko Samui?

Any Hotel Recommendations for Bangkok and Ko Samui?

Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:12 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any Hotel Recommendations for Bangkok and Ko Samui?

Just wondered if anyone has stayed in Bangkok or Ko Samui in the past few years? there seems so much choice of 4 to 5* Hotels that a few first hand opinions on places would be helpful in making a slightly more informed decision.
Any comments welcome.
Steve
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Hotel Recommendations for Bangkok and Ko Samui?

Originally Posted by steve99
Just wondered if anyone has stayed in Bangkok or Ko Samui in the past few years? there seems so much choice of 4 to 5* Hotels that a few first hand opinions on places would be helpful in making a slightly more informed decision.
Any comments welcome.
Steve

Hi we stayed at the Samui Central beach resort ( I think that is what it was called) it was fantastic.

John
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

jules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to all

Any comments welcome.
Steve
Hi Steve

Have stayed in the Pan Pacific in Bangkok, was fantastic with lovely rooftop pool and the really friendly staff. It's right in the centre so easy to get anywhere. Can't help you with Ko Samui

Jules
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:25 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks John and Jules, i'll check them out.

Keep them coming!
Steve
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Any comments welcome.
Steve

Hi Steve,

Me & Hubbie used to go to Bangkok quite regularly. We always preferred to stay by the river. My top recommendation is either the Shangri-La (if you want to splash out stay in the Krungthep wing - wow!!!!), or the Mandarin Oriental, but if you want a slightly cheaper, but still 5 star hotel, then the Royal Orchid Sheraton is also superb.

In my younger days when I couldn't afford 4/5 star I used to stay in 2/3 stars at a fraction of the price and still excellent quality (The Asia for example), but now that we are very familiar with Bangkok I find that staying close to the river is much much nicer than some cheaper (though still just as spectacular) 5 star hotels you'll find along Sukhumvit for example, but obviously they will charge you a premium for the riverside location. If you are travelling out of season then try and negotiate a good price with the hotels. But if you are going around December / January time, forget it!

Koh Samui is about the only beach resort I haven't visited. Its one of the slightly smaller resorts, but I guess any of the 'resort' style 5 stars are going to be absolutely spectacular in true Asian tradition! Have a great time in Thailand - definitely one of my most absolutely favorite countries!!

Netta
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:43 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Any comments welcome.
Steve

We stayed at the Boathouse on Samui. Old boats have been refurbished and made into luxurious rooms and set in the gardens. There is also a 'normal' part of the hotel. Wonderful pool there too.

Suzy
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzy
We stayed at the Boathouse on Samui. Old boats have been refurbished and made into luxurious rooms and set in the gardens. There is also a 'normal' part of the hotel. Wonderful pool there too.

Suzy

I remember seeing these in the Kuoni brochure - they looked absolutely beautiful......Lucky you!

Netta
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:53 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
I remember seeing these in the Kuoni brochure - they looked absolutely beautiful......Lucky you!

Netta
Our best holiday ever Netta. Wonderful people, wonderful country. Can't wait to get there again.

suzy
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:09 am
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Hi Steve,

Me & Hubbie used to go to Bangkok quite regularly. We always preferred to stay by the river. My top recommendation is either the Shangri-La (if you want to splash out stay in the Krungthep wing - wow!!!!), or the Mandarin Oriental, but if you want a slightly cheaper, but still 5 star hotel, then the Royal Orchid Sheraton is also superb.

In my younger days when I couldn't afford 4/5 star I used to stay in 2/3 stars at a fraction of the price and still excellent quality (The Asia for example), but now that we are very familiar with Bangkok I find that staying close to the river is much much nicer than some cheaper (though still just as spectacular) 5 star hotels you'll find along Sukhumvit for example, but obviously they will charge you a premium for the riverside location. If you are travelling out of season then try and negotiate a good price with the hotels. But if you are going around December / January time, forget it!

Koh Samui is about the only beach resort I haven't visited. Its one of the slightly smaller resorts, but I guess any of the 'resort' style 5 stars are going to be absolutely spectacular in true Asian tradition! Have a great time in Thailand - definitely one of my most absolutely favorite countries!!

Netta
Were looking at going around next March/April time possibly utilising the easter break, a few of the sites ive looked on have warned its stinking hot, but it says its the dry(er) season and when looking at historical temps they dont seem to bad (not as hot as Perth) generally in the low to mid 90's (30 -35C) it does look a bit more humid than here, but shouldnt be as bad as when its wet over there, I guess there will be a lot more pollution etc so maybe that impacts it. Any views?
Im assuming most shops/bars/restaurants etc will be airconditioned (ie it will be more like Singapore than Bali !)
Steve
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Were looking at going around next March/April time possibly utilising the easter break, a few of the sites ive looked on have warned its stinking hot, but it says its the dry(er) season and when looking at historical temps they dont seem to bad (not as hot as Perth) generally in the low to mid 90's (30 -35C) it does look a bit more humid than here, but shouldnt be as bad as when its wet over there, I guess there will be a lot more pollution etc so maybe that impacts it. Any views?
Im assuming most shops/bars/restaurants etc will be airconditioned (ie it will be more like Singapore than Bali !)
Steve
April is probably one of the worst times to go. My best friend is Thai and even she hates returning home at this time of year. I've been in the rainy season a couple of times, and yes its been very humid and its also caused floods in Bangkok a couple of times. But its been tolerable. Certainly wasn't as bad as Singapore, which was horribly humid.

December, Jan, Feb is obviously best time, but doesn't sound like it fits in with your plans. Haven't been in April myself- my friend has always put me off! But here's the thing.....are you just going to chill out or are you intending doing lots of sightseeing as well? Sightseeing in Bangkok in April will be very stifling. But if you're chilling out then I would say go for it.

and yes....all the large shops and restaurants are air-conditioned. But a lot of shopping is also done on the streets, so obviously you will feel the heat here.

Sorry - this probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but hopefully it will help in your final decision.

Netta
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:32 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

can strongly reccomend the imperial queens park hotel in Bangkok