Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any help in Exporting a small dog pleae?

Any help in Exporting a small dog pleae?

Old Jul 31st 2005, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Impalfa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Any help in Exporting a small dog pleae?

Hi,

We want to move to Australia (Melbourne) within the next 4 months, and need to take our small dog. Trouble is, that I have looked on DEFRA and AQIS web sites but found everything so confusing (one link leads to another etc). There does not appear to be a clear defined list of action required and when.
This sounds a bit stupid I know, but are we both the Exporter and Importer, if yes, they want an Australian address in the permit application. But I do not have one yet so what do I put?
Looking through other threads on this site, it also sounds very expensive (£2000 to £3500) that seems a bit OTT.
I want to Export my dog DIY to keep costs down, but some say that is not possible with some airlines, is that right?
Why do I need to use both DEFRA & AQIS, or can I use one?

I cannot believe this is so confusing, or is it that I am just tired and brain dead? !!!

Please can someone who has gone through the dog-moving experience, shed some light on where and when to start?

Many thanks in anticipation. :scared:
Old Jul 31st 2005, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any help in Exporting a small dog pleae?

We are just about to send our dog and two cats and are using a pet export company because we couldn't face all the paperwork and running around.

From what I have seen you need to get export documentation from DEFRA and import documentation from AQIS. The dog needs to have been vaxed for various things but not Lepto. If the Lepto has already been done (standard in UK) then you might need to get two blood tests done rather than the one you need no more than 30 days before you travel.

A good website that explains what you need is the Pet Export one on:

http://www.petexports.co.uk/australia.html

I found that most useful and my own vets recommend it for a clear description of what is needed.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Trekrider
Old Jul 31st 2005, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Impalfa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Trekrider
We are just about to send our dog and two cats and are using a pet export company because we couldn't face all the paperwork and running around.

From what I have seen you need to get export documentation from DEFRA and import documentation from AQIS. The dog needs to have been vaxed for various things but not Lepto. If the Lepto has already been done (standard in UK) then you might need to get two blood tests done rather than the one you need no more than 30 days before you travel.

A good website that explains what you need is the Pet Export one on:

http://www.petexports.co.uk/australia.html

I found that most useful and my own vets recommend it for a clear description of what is needed.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Trekrider
Thanks a lot I will check the site out tomorrow, sounds good.

Do you mind telling me what company you are using and would you recommend them?

What about the costs? Is it really that expensive?
Cheers.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Impalfa
Thanks a lot I will check the site out tomorrow, sounds good.

Do you mind telling me what company you are using and would you recommend them?

What about the costs? Is it really that expensive?
Cheers.
We are using Airpets who seem to have a fairly good reputation on this site and I know someone who used them and recomended them too. So far they have been very good, but ask me again on the 5th September when the animals arrive in Perth! They are charging £3160 for the dog (large German Shepherd) and two cats. The dog and one cat would be £2734 but it's all done on size.

Best wishes,

Trekrider
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

Try [email protected]. Very reasonable, good reputation but dont do it your self as when you way up the cost of doing it yourself with the cost of using an agent, then the amount the agent gets is very small and it saves you heartach as they know exactly what theie doing
Good luck

Last edited by lovealot; Aug 1st 2005 at 6:14 am.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:42 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We want to move to Australia (Melbourne) within the next 4 months, and need to take our small dog. Trouble is, that I have looked on DEFRA and AQIS web sites but found everything so confusing (one link leads to another etc). There does not appear to be a clear defined list of action required and when.
This sounds a bit stupid I know, but are we both the Exporter and Importer, if yes, they want an Australian address in the permit application. But I do not have one yet so what do I put?
Looking through other threads on this site, it also sounds very expensive (£2000 to £3500) that seems a bit OTT.
I want to Export my dog DIY to keep costs down, but some say that is not possible with some airlines, is that right?

I cannot believe this is so confusing, or is it that I am just tired and brain dead? !!!

Please can someone who has gone through the dog-moving experience, shed some light on where and when to start?

Hi there,

We have been out in Oz for four months now, we transported our two dogs over. It cost us £2184. We went through Golden Arrow, pet exporters, they were great, that amount included the boarding in the kennels prior to leaving, the dogs carrier made to measure and the company sorting out all the paper work and taking our dogs to the airport and putting them on the plane. I couldn't recommend them enough, they were great.
One point to consider though, make sure you let your vet know of your plans, we took ours for their booster in January and they were given an injection, which they have to have by British law (apparently) and the Australian government doesn't recognise it, can't remember the name but bring it up with your vet. Our dogs ended up having an extra two weeks in the kennels because there was still high levels of this vacine in their blood. Cost us a little extra as we had to pay vet bills which included anti-biotics to clear it up..
Hope all goes well for you, good luck.

Deb
Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Hi we have had a quote from Parair from Colchester to ship out our small dog (Lhasa Apso) and it worked out at £1050 for the flight plus blood tests etc, but our own Vets can do these.

John
Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by deba34
Hi there,

One point to consider though, make sure you let your vet know of your plans, we took ours for their booster in January and they were given an injection, which they have to have by British law (apparently) and the Australian government doesn't recognise it, can't remember the name but bring it up with your vet.
Deb
The problem is the Lepto part, it is included in most British vaccines for dogs but is not allowed by the Australians as they don't have lepto in the country. Tell your vet that your dog mustn't have the Lepto part as you are going to Australia and they will vaccinate without it. If it is too late and this has already been given then your dogs will need two blood tests rather than one to show that the Lepto is reducing.

On another point, vaccination is not a legal requirement in the UK! We don't believe in vaccination and use Homoeopathic nosodes. We had to get the vaccinations to get into Oz but won't be doing it again when we get there.

Trekrider
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

klmar is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Any help in Exporting a small dog pleae?

[QUOTE=Impalfa]Hi,

I am also wondering what to put!

We have friends in Brisbane, but dog is going to Melbourne-- can we use that address?
The dog travels approx 2 weeks before us and we will be in transit via various relatives for those weeks- no longer a contactable home address.
What do I do???????????????????
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Hi

we used GOLDEN ARROW - cannot recomend enough - price was the same as Airpets BUT we found them to be far more friendly, approachable and with an attitude that told us they actually cared about our cats and we weren't just a number to them. The deciding factor for us was that we had had quotes from both companies and long, long, long chats with GOLDEN ARROW - then found that with the house move we would have to put the cats in a cattery with the shippers for a few weeks prior to moving - phoned airpets - they were less professional than if I put my two year old on the phone - he'd at least be friendly !!!!! - phoned golden arrow - not only did they remember us - they were friendly and helpful. As you may have gathered really happy with their services and will recommend without reservation
Best Wishes with your move
susan