Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any heating engineers here?

Any heating engineers here?

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any heating engineers here?

I am desperately trying to get informed quotes for my new build central heating / A/C system.

I am reasonably happy with the energy requirements that several companies have come up with for the A/C (18Kw) but the heating requirements are wildly different.

I did find one website which allowed you to fill in boxes for wall lengths, insulation, window sizes etc and came up with a heating figure of about 35Kw.

One quote says 30 Kw is sufficient, another 50Kw! Knowing that here the standards are so poor compared with Europe I would like to have another DIY try at estimating myself: does anyone know of an online heating calculator which I can use to confirm any of the quotes, please?
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:26 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any heating engineers here?

Bump - I'm that desperate!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:36 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wol
Bump - I'm that desperate!
Hi i dont work in kw only btu's try www.heatershop.com/btu_calculator.htm
allow 15000 btus for your hot water
Dave
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

phillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by daveplumber
Dave
What do you do when you go and buy a boiler here, they only give you them in kw now. R u like me can only work in btu's.
phillip.:
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:06 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wol
I am desperately trying to get informed quotes for my new build central heating / A/C system.

I am reasonably happy with the energy requirements that several companies have come up with for the A/C (18Kw) but the heating requirements are wildly different.

I did find one website which allowed you to fill in boxes for wall lengths, insulation, window sizes etc and came up with a heating figure of about 35Kw.

One quote says 30 Kw is sufficient, another 50Kw! Knowing that here the standards are so poor compared with Europe I would like to have another DIY try at estimating myself: does anyone know of an online heating calculator which I can use to confirm any of the quotes, please?

Assuming that you are using heat pump (known as reverse cycle) system to heat as well then the heating requirement depends on a number of factors. You can PM me the details if it helps as it's my profession and I will point you in the right direction.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:26 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by daveplumber
Dave
Many thanks: I've put in the overall sq. footage and the heating requirement comes out at 33.5 Kw with "average" insulation and 16.77Kw with good. That corresponds with 33.84Kw from a program I used previously. However, it's a very broad-brush program - no allowance for window area, external/internal wall ratio etc.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:27 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iceman
Assuming that you are using heat pump (known as reverse cycle) system to heat as well then the heating requirement depends on a number of factors. You can PM me the details if it helps as it's my profession and I will point you in the right direction.
No, it's gas fired: the BASIX requirement makes it so. Thanks, and I will PM you now!