Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any happy pommes?

Wikiposts

Any happy pommes?

Old Apr 14th 2003, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future
Default Any happy pommes?

I would love to hear from anyone that has moved to Australia from the uk and actually likes it.It is so depressing to hear people wanting return to the uk.
Regards

Lee
Old Apr 14th 2003, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

their too busy having a good time m8
Old Apr 14th 2003, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

I'm enjoying myself here, but then thats just me and I don't know anything as I've only been here a year. Too scared to say how great our life is here incase I get told off!

Mandy
Old Apr 14th 2003, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any happy pommes?

Originally posted by leehatcliff
I would love to hear from anyone that has moved to Australia from the uk and actually likes it.It is so depressing to hear people wanting return to the uk.
Regards

Lee
Hi Lee,

Been here (in Brisbane) for over 4 years and still enjoying it here.

I originally popped into this site because we (the better half and I) were going through a rough patch here (missing family, etc) and I wanted to read how other expats felt. For us things of picked up with the help of frends, but since reading some of opinions (not facts) that are regularly posted, I now feel obliged to pop back every now and again to provide a more balanced view.

Every expat that I've met here (other than this forum) is also enjoying it here and has no intention of returning - some have been here 15 years and more.

There are some extremely cheesed off people and a few trolls who post here v. regularly - using a couple of (often distorted) facts mixed with a lot of their own opinions - so read their posts by all means but keep in mind why they are posting.

AndyH

And yes - to those who will try to tear this post apart, I am aware that all of the above is my opinion.

Last edited by jah4reds; Apr 14th 2003 at 2:15 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Of the English friends I have met here about half like it and half hate it. Ones who like it are usually older and more in need of a quiet life and often have had family here so that is not an issue.

I do notice many new arrivals love it but after a year or so it wanes and real irritations set in once the novelty of beach wears off.

If you just want a nice simple life where having a spacious home is important, doing simple activities like fishing or taking the kids to a park then you will probably love it.

If you want big wages, travel, entertainment, family then you could well be happier in the UK.

Also if you have the dosh to live in Melb or Sydney often it will have more of the facilities and services you are taking for granted in the UK.

Just come with the very realistic expation that all the problems that are in the Uk exist here. Dont base emigrating on Sun beach bbqs (holiday type criterea) as this actually takes up surprisingly little of your time once here.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 4:53 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Regards

Lee
I wake up every day happy to be alive , the place you live has no barring on happyness but given the choice between Australia and the UK , give me the UK for all its faults .
The freedom of travel is the one thing being at the arse end of nowhere , you will never replace here.

Old Apr 14th 2003, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep,

Overall we love it, has its ups and downs but where doesnt?

Dont understand why some ppl on here seem to think everyone will hate it once they've been to the beach a few times.

Still got to work for a living, but quality of life is better.........if you want it to be.........got to get out and get on with your life. Just like anywhere.

Chris.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 7:39 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Simple life

What Dotty described as the simple life seems ideal to me. Whether I think that 5 years down the line is another matter but just that statement makes me realise that we are doing the right thing.

Kate
Old Apr 14th 2003, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Simple life

Originally posted by kevwalt
What Dotty described as the simple life seems ideal to me. Whether I think that 5 years down the line is another matter but just that statement makes me realise that we are doing the right thing.

Kate
Agree totally with you there Kate!

I think you have to get the travelling, career path chasing, pubbing n' clubbing, shopping for nice clothes (seriously - that's what Dotty & Co moan about!), out of your system before you go to Australia. It's a life style choice for people who enjoy the simple pleasures in life, not for the frustrated 'City Chicks'. I personally, couldn't of settled in Australia in my early twenties, my mind set was totally different then.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
I wake up every day happy to be alive , the place you live has no barring on happyness but given the choice between Australia and the UK , give me the UK for all its faults .
The freedom of travel is the one thing being at the arse end of nowhere , you will never replace here.

PB

You are welcome to come back and see what a HOLE this country has become over the last five years. Enjoy !!

Regards

Terry
Old Apr 14th 2003, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Regards

Lee
Lee

Oz is such a vast place with large cities and also regional areas - They all differ so widely. You need to make your own opinion about the place.

Good luck

Terry
Old Apr 15th 2003, 2:08 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by terryg
PB

You are welcome to come back and see what a HOLE this country has become over the last five years. Enjoy !!

Regards

Terry
Have done alreadly old boy thats why we coming back , been living in a hole far too long you have it .
I hear the Cotswolds , Lake district , Peak district ,Scotland , Wales , Ireland and most of Europe have been dug up and sold to the Yanks they only left Liverpool and Manchester and parts of London?
Hows Kent horrible place I know full of tossers like you?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Apr 15th 2003 at 2:11 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2003, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Have done alreadly old boy thats why we coming back , been living in a hole far too long you have it .
I hear the Cotswolds , Lake district , Peak district ,Scotland , Wales , Ireland and most of Europe have been dug up and sold to the Yanks they only left Liverpool and Manchester and parts of London?
Hows Kent horrible place I know full of tossers like you?

PB you low-life - I wont entertain your uncalled for language and will just ignore you from now on like most others do. You are not worth the time of day and are a waste of my life.

PS be VERY careful what you say as not everyone is as forgiving as I am OLD BOY

Goodbye.........

Forever.......................
Old Apr 15th 2003, 6:01 pm
No wuckin furries mate

brox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Of the English friends I have met here about half like it and half hate it. Ones who like it are usually older and more in need of a quiet life and often have had family here so that is not an issue.

I do notice many new arrivals love it but after a year or so it wanes and real irritations set in once the novelty of beach wears off.

If you just want a nice simple life where having a spacious home is important, doing simple activities like fishing or taking the kids to a park then you will probably love it.

If you want big wages, travel, entertainment, family then you could well be happier in the UK.

Also if you have the dosh to live in Melb or Sydney often it will have more of the facilities and services you are taking for granted in the UK.

Just come with the very realistic expation that all the problems that are in the Uk exist here. Dont base emigrating on Sun beach bbqs (holiday type criterea) as this actually takes up surprisingly little of your time once here.

Dotty this is the best thread you've put on. So balanced! We want the simple option
Old Apr 15th 2003, 6:40 pm
Banned

Originally posted by terryg
PB you low-life - I wont entertain your uncalled for language and will just ignore you from now on like most others do. You are not worth the time of day and are a waste of my life.

PS be VERY careful what you say as not everyone is as forgiving as I am OLD BOY

Goodbye.........

Forever.......................
I must apologise for the 'tosser' some would have reacted with the same abuse which would have proved my laboured point but you are made of better stuff I respect that.
Even bet that you cannot ignore all my posts , many have tried and failed most require a bite now and again.
Best wishes from a low life , old boy