Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any happy migrants out there?

any happy migrants out there?

Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any happy migrants out there?

Since discovering this site i read so many negative things about life in australia, and i have been wondering if any one out there is glad that they emigrated! Are there any sucsess storys? or does everyone just find it a big anti-climax when they get there, and want to come back to the uk but cant afford to?
We are just at the begining of the emigration process and it has been nice knowing that there are lots of other people in the same situation as us, living in limbo, waiting to live the dream of a better life in oz! but is it really a better life ? the way some people have described it , it sounds just like england in a recession but with a swimming pool and sunshine!
Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default happy

yea were happy so far,
and your right (almost) oz is a sunnier place with a swimming pool, but the recession is no diffrent than uk, and if you have any assets to bring with you then you can get lots for your money. a lot deppends on were in oz you want to be, i have a house twice the size of my uk one, with a nice pool which as you say comes in usefull on them hot days, and it cost me 3 quaters of the price of uk. so if your lookin for milk and honey dont come expecting to trip over it.
just like uk theres a living to be made.
all the best shaun
Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi Wombat

I would agree with Shaun and just add that life is what YOU make it, not what other people tell you it should be like!

We've been here since September last year and are loving every minute of it (but if you listen to some of the posters on this group we're living in a right dump!!) All I can say is that that has certainly not been our experience, or perhaps their idea of 'rough' is not my idea of 'rough'? We have beautiful clean beaches, nice parks overlooking the ocean, dolphins come into the shallows to play and pelicans wander around the beaches...mmm, certainly different to inner city Leeds I can tell you!!

It has been hard work and at times quite stressful, but I don't regret a single second of our time here so far. There are things I love about this country and things that I'm not too keen on (mainly the views on aborigines) rather like my opinion of the UK actually!!) but we're having such a wonderful life experience that I know we made the right decision.

One poster said before that if you view it as an irreversible decision then it makes it very very hard, but if you look on it as an adventure with a view to making it permanent it doesn't freak you out quite so much!

Come with a realistic view of what Australia is like, that way you won't come crashing down to earth with a bump when you find you have to work, take the kids to school, do shopping, pay bills etc.

Good luck

love sophia xx
Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thats it

yea thats what i was trying to say
thanks sophie i wish i could answer like that but what im thinking never goes down on the screen.
so like she said is like it is
and she lives in somwhere called wikkiki how call is that then ha ha
cheers shaun xxx
Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thanks for your reply!

We are not going to australia to make a millian and we dont expect it to be easy.we are not that daft! we are happy in the uk but we want to try something different ,if it dont work out then at least we tryed it and didnt just sit around dreaming! life is what you make it and like you say if your prepared to work hard then you get the rewards.We dont really know were we want to settle yet if we ever get there, i have got family in perth so we might head there first but it depends were my husband can find work.
how long have you been in australia?
Glad to hear someones happy!
Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi guys

Wombat, you sound like you've got the right attitude towards it, you go for it!!

We've been here about 5 months now and we're really enjoying it. It is certainly a different way of life out here!!

Shaun, don't change your style, I like it!!

love sophia xx
Old Jan 30th 2003, 3:41 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sophia
Hi Wombat

I would agree with Shaun and just add that life is what YOU make it, not what other people tell you it should be like!

We've been here since September last year and are loving every minute of it (but if you listen to some of the posters on this group we're living in a right dump!!) All I can say is that that has certainly not been our experience, or perhaps their idea of 'rough' is not my idea of 'rough'? We have beautiful clean beaches, nice parks overlooking the ocean, dolphins come into the shallows to play and pelicans wander around the beaches...mmm, certainly different to inner city Leeds I can tell you!!

Good luck

love sophia xx
Sorry Girl you are living in the worst area of Perth for pollution , it is the pits most who work around there would not live there if its as bad as Leeds who cares its bad for WA.

The Rockingham region, deals with many social, economic and environmental problems associated with the rapid development of industry and suburban sprawl along the WA Coastline.

The Rockingham/ Kwinana/ Cockburn regions are among the fastest growing industrial, residential and economic areas in Australia. Cockburn Sound forms a major industrial centre for Perth, and has a major naval facility at Garden Island off the coast. These developments have led to the degradation of unique terrestrial and marine ecosystems, reducing seagrass beds in the sensitive near shore environment and contributing to industrial pollution in the region.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

JustArrived is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi wombat,

We've been here for 5 months. Left the UK about 9 years ago and have lived in a couple of places around the world. Took a 50% pay cut to come here but our standard of living has still gone up. The good weather and outstanding beaches close to Perth really makes a difference. Couldn't imagine going back to the UK and its cold grey weather.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 5:06 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JustArrived
Hi wombat,

We've been here for 5 months. Left the UK about 9 years ago and have lived in a couple of places around the world. Took a 50% pay cut to come here but our standard of living has still gone up. The good weather and outstanding beaches close to Perth really makes a difference. Couldn't imagine going back to the UK and its cold grey weather.
No worries you will find the Winter here reminds you of the UK , give it mid way though May till September , the winds will blow you off the beaches and the rain make you feel at home.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Can't be that bad can it? Wish I'd brought my brolly.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 5:29 am
Banned

Originally posted by JustArrived
Can't be that bad can it? Wish I'd brought my brolly.
I think you said you are in Mindarie we lived up the road in Quinns Beach Estate , the winds in Winter get upto gale force forget the brolly had to many blown inside out.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Oh dear. The wife's not going to be too happy when she find out.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any happy migrants out there?

Loads - but very few sit reading this forum regularly. Those who like to complain a lot tend to wallow in their own miserableness and try to pass it on to others (especially here).

MM
Old Jan 30th 2003, 6:13 am
Banned

Originally posted by madmancunian
Loads - but very few sit reading this forum regularly. Those who like to complain a lot tend to wallow in their own miserableness and try to pass it on to others (especially here).

MM
Every bodies got to have a hobby , I do agree that a lot are happy also more than a few go home theres no black or white.

Old Jan 31st 2003, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wombat
Since discovering this site i read so many negative things about life in australia, and i have been wondering if any one out there is glad that they emigrated! Are there any sucsess storys? or does everyone just find it a big anti-climax when they get there, and want to come back to the uk but cant afford to?
We are just at the begining of the emigration process and it has been nice knowing that there are lots of other people in the same situation as us, living in limbo, waiting to live the dream of a better life in oz! but is it really a better life ? the way some people have described it , it sounds just like england in a recession but with a swimming pool and sunshine!

I'm happy!

I didn't really emigrate though, I just sort of stayed longer. I went through the immigration process once I was here. I came over on a working holiday visa and then applied for a de facto spouse visa.
I never really had the big expectations of what my 'new life' was going to be like because it was going to be a holilday.

Maybe everything is rosy because I'm in lurve, and employed, and we're about to buy our flat. Really no complaints at the moment.

I'm happy with Australians, I've had no difficulty making friends, certainly haven't had any problems with my being a pom (that I've been made aware of anyway).

The job market in Adelaide is slow at the moment, but then I guess it is globally.

I walk into the city every day and love the fact that I don't need to take the tube anymore. Buses aren't too bad if you live further out, they're cleaner than the buses I've taken in London, Lincolnshire and Leicestershire.

I sometimes feel a little isolated, not just because I'm 10,000 miles from my family, but because it's a 10 hour drive to the nearest capital city. I miss being able to hop on the train to Scotland (only did it once), or fly to Venice in a couple of hours (again only did that once). I do sometimes miss the culture of Europe.

But in general I'm very happy to be here. People sometimes ask me what I'd do if I split up with my bf, whether I'd go back or not, I don't really know.

Nara