Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Hairdressers needing advice?

Any Hairdressers needing advice?

Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

greta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Hairdressers needing advice?

Hi

I,ve posted a couple of questions on the board and am amazed at the response for information from all you hairdressers. I remember how hard it was to get any of my questions answered on this topic.
I,m a hairdresser who has recently been through all the immigration process and am now living in Perth after being granted a permanent residency visa.

If i can help with any of your questions, please just ask?

It took me nearly 2 years to get here, but it was the best thing I ever did.

Tina
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any Hairdressers needing advice?

Hi Tina

I do have a question if you don't mind!! I am currently doing a NVQ 2 in Ladies Hairdressing and as soon as the course is finished we are coming over (probably the end of the year). In an ideal world I would have liked to have done the NVQ 3 before we emigrated, but there just isn't time. So my question is really, do you think I would have a problem getting a Junior Stylist job with just a NVQ 2 (I am prepared to continue with any further training/college I can whilst in Perth). I won't really have any salon experience and wonder if this would cause a problem for me? Please let me know what you think, any info gratefully received. Hope you are settling in well in Perth and enjoying your new life there.

Bye for now

Sam
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

greta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sam

You don,t say what Visa your coming out on. As long as you have permission to work then i can,t see that you,d have a problem. All hairdressers in WA have to be registered by " The Hairdressing Registration Board of WA", but any salon would be able to advise you on this. There are so many Hairdressing jobs available that you could probably take your pick.

Check out www.thewest.com.au

which is the local paper with job advertisements. Saturdays are the best time to view as they have a huge job classified section. This will give you an idea of whats available

Tina
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Hi again Tina

We are actually coming out on a business visa, for which my husband will be setting up a business and he is not allowed to work anywhere else. Luckily (I think!!) I can work, hence me trying to get the course finished before we come out, so that I can maybe bring a bit of money in while he's stressing over the business!!!
It was just a thought that my lack of experience (and being no spring chicken!) might put employers off. As you say though, if there is plenty of jobs I might be lucky somewhere. Have you managed to find a hairdressing job yet or are you not looking?

Thanks again

Sam
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point

was you working in hairdressing when you applied
i am a qualified hairdresser of twenty years but apart from friends family and a few privates have not worked in a salon for about 8 years do you think this could cause problems i have applied for stni to victoria
cheers
mrs. railman
( just nicked hubbies login)
Old May 17th 2005, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

mandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the rough

Yes please.Im at TRA stage and waiting for reply before anything else, i have been approved for STNI Victoria which will fast track everything. Just wanted to ask if dimia contacted any of your employers? I had a massive argument with one who would probably call me a mass murderer! Heading to Melbourne asp. Cheers dears. Andrew
Old May 17th 2005, 3:39 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandrew
Yes please.Im at TRA stage and waiting for reply before anything else, i have been approved for STNI Victoria which will fast track everything. Just wanted to ask if dimia contacted any of your employers? I had a massive argument with one who would probably call me a mass murderer! Heading to Melbourne asp. Cheers dears. Andrew
Hi Andrew, my boss hasn't been contacted (as yet) and we're just waiting on our visas now.
Marie
(will PM you about your PM later-got container quote men due any mo)
Old May 17th 2005, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

a.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by greta
Hi

I,ve posted a couple of questions on the board and am amazed at the response for information from all you hairdressers. I remember how hard it was to get any of my questions answered on this topic.
I,m a hairdresser who has recently been through all the immigration process and am now living in Perth after being granted a permanent residency visa.

Tina
Hi tina not sure of what job to do when i get out there but when i left school in 1986 i went on a yts scheme and worked in a few different salons, for roughly just over 2 years . Iwent to college 1 day week and really loved it then a job with better pay came up and i took that so i passed my first year, and never finished the course off. Do you think if i approached a few salons when we get to perth hopefully by the end of this year that they would take me on but not starting from scratch as a junior ,and they would put me through college? any help is much appreciated
Old May 17th 2005, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pasha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by greta
Hi

Tina
Hi Tina - I did post a question recently under the "Working Abroad by Profession / Hairdressing" category. However, I, unfortunately, have not received any responses - so am hoping that you can help me out. I will just copy and paste my aforementioned post for you to review, and respond to, at your earliest convenience.

"I spend most of my time on a different thread (within this forum) - as I no longer work in a salon, but have maintained my license over the years. I live in Canada - and here in Canada, licensed stylists can shop at all of the wholesalers, receiving all of their products and supplies at wholesale cost - providing they show proof of their license at the time of purchase.

As such, I was just curious if the circumstances are similar in Australia??? I am not planning on working in a salon once we arrive, as my husband and I are pursuing different business interests. However, I would be willing to sit the practical, and obtain my Aussie license, if it means that I can still get my products and supplies at a reduced rate.

One gets spoiled with professional products - and I'm not crazy about the idea of going back to store-bought products. Not only that - but I just LOVE colouring my own hair - and having the variety of all of the professional products as a licensed stylist.

I would very much appreciate any input that anyone has with regard to this."

Thank you.

Regards.
Old May 17th 2005, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

kay baines is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face what is the pay like in perth, for a hairdresser with 15 years experience?

i have been looking into visiting your wonderful country for a while now. looked into moving over, but never really followed it up. i have two hairdressing salons and my husband is a plumber and gas engineer.we have three young children,which i want to give the best life possable. i think i need some reassurance that me and my husband could find work in perth!

kay x
Old May 17th 2005, 9:14 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a question fir a hairdresser.......since I came here ma hairs been fallin out in handfulls HELP!!!!
Theres more on the floor than on ma head :scared:
Old May 17th 2005, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, all of them in torquay because they are sh*te!!!!
Old May 17th 2005, 9:39 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by biggy
I've got a question fir a hairdresser.......since I came here ma hairs been fallin out in handfulls HELP!!!!
So whats the Question?
Old May 17th 2005, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
:scared:
Old May 17th 2005, 9:48 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jan
So whats the Question?

How the hell do I stop it fallin out lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.