Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any good schools in sydney?

any good schools in sydney?

Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:43 am
Just Joined

drue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any good schools in sydney?

a few aussies suggested i find good schools and put my son's name on their waiting list because it was hard to get in a good school. it might sound funny because my son is only 9 month old.

i can't afford a private school. so can anyone please recommend some good schools in sydney, both primary and secondary, and also give some advice on how to get in the those schools?

thanks
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any good schools in sydney?

Originally Posted by drue
a few aussies suggested i find good schools and put my son's name on their waiting list because it was hard to get in a good school. it might sound funny because my son is only 9 month old.

i can't afford a private school. so can anyone please recommend some good schools in sydney, both primary and secondary, and also give some advice on how to get in the those schools?

thanks
Bump-bump-bumpity-bump.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

thanks
Well ...where are you going to live? If you don't have the money for private then you get a place at your local school, you put your name down anything from one year to 1 month before term starts and get a place, most in Sydney are zoned to the street so if you are in the zone you get in.

Have a look at the post on NSW school Naplan results and then decide where to live first if you priority is schooling.

Or you could go Catholic which for the most part is really cheap but still private, sometimes better sometimes not...depends what you want...some are strong in some things like sport and some in music or debating....
Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It may well be a good idea to hedge your bets and put his name down for one of the top private schools (check out the myschools site) then you will have a choice at least - many folk just do it for HS and anticipate a year 7 entry. Start saving up now LOL

If you cant afford a private school then the only way is to live in the catchment area of the school - the myschool site is a good start but remember that the dynamics of schools change all the time and get a brilliant principal (or a no hoper) and the whole profile changes
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:14 am
ABCDiamond

thanks
Normal State schools will take any child living in their area. You do not need to put any names down.

That is only for the private schools, and other State schools that are not in your area.

Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plantpot
Have a look at the post on NSW school Naplan results and then decide where to live first if you priority is schooling
Thanks plantpot, that is incredibly helpful. I have been looking for league tables for ages, but no luck.

We were deciding between two schools, you've helped us make up our mind - thanks
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

I've just found out that the school I teach at in Sydney charges approx $12,000 a year for Primary kids and $20,000 a year for High School!!! Jeez!!

When she's old enough I think I'll be sending my little 'un to a regular state school.......!