Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any good schools in gold coast area please?

Any good schools in gold coast area please?

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:55 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any good schools in gold coast area please?

Hi, we have decided on the gold coast and below, maybe tweed heads ore kingscliff.
Are there any good schools to recommend from 4 to leaving please in these areas. Where we move is dependant on if there is good schooling nearby.
Thanks for you comments.
al and clare.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:27 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Smile Re: Any good schools in gold coast area please?

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Hi, we have decided on the gold coast and below, maybe tweed heads ore kingscliff.
Are there any good schools to recommend from 4 to leaving please in these areas. Where we move is dependant on if there is good schooling nearby.
Thanks for you comments.
al and clare.
There have been discussions about this before - would be worth doing a search as I seem to remember there were some pretty specific recommendations....

When we were looking in that direction, I was very impressed by the A.B. Patterson College in Arundel - we got a quick response to our enquiries via [email protected] and the main website is www.abpat.qld.edu.au (I think?). It's private but the not overtly religious school - and I liked the fact that it was "proudly australian".

Good luck in your search,
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:05 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any good schools in gold coast area please?

Hi there,

My brother went to Trinity Lutheran in Ashmore, again a religious school but NOT if you know what I mean... take a look...

http://www.tlc.qld.edu.au/

Claire
x
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:29 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

hi does it matter if the parents are agnostic?

ive had 2 brain ops and a heart valve replacement at 30. 3 years ago, and was as close the death as you could be with sepiticemia riddled body, and there were no white lights in the op theatre, i didnt know a thing about my seizure.

just thought id explain why!! (irrelevant i know)

alk
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:40 pm
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

hi does it matter if the parents are agnostic?

ive had 2 brain ops and a heart valve replacement at 30. 3 years ago, and was as close the death as you could be with sepiticemia riddled body, and there were no white lights in the op theatre, i didnt know a thing about my seizure.

just thought id explain why!! (irrelevant i know)

alk
to be honest al i don't think it really matters if you are religious or not ... trinity lutheran is an excellent school and we are thinking about send jonah there when we get out to the gold coast ...worth looking around but most private schools out there have an excellent record
steve aka sir les aka jonah's daddy
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

AB Paterson has a very good reputation, but too far from Tweed. Closer your way is Somerset (highly recommmeded by a father who researched all private schools on the Coast thoroughly including AB) and Kings. Trinity is not far from the M1 so may be an option. I think Kings may be on it. Merri mount/mac? is a Catholic one with a good reputation.

The long standing boys elite school is TSS (The Southport school) and the girls is St Hilda's both in Southport, which may be too far from Tweed as well.

According to my source - previous mentioned father - TSS is excellent for all round education but does not have such wonderful leaving results. Whereas Somerset has excellent well-rounded education and facilities as well but also has great leaving results.

Don't know of any good schools closer to Kingscliff. There are new private schools popping up all over the place esp near Coomera but maybe further down your way too. You never know how they will turn out though.

We initially set up on the Coast, and we chose AB as it is non-religious and co-ed, and does kindy through to Year 12. The Catholic schools tend to be a lot cheaper in general, but more religious and you often need proof of baptism and priest to say you go to mass - so maybe forget about them. BTW with your medical history how did you manage to pass your medical?

Queenie

Thanks for you comments.
al and clare.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:47 pm
Banned

thanks for that.,

Ive no idea how i passed myt meds.
I went in with a 10 page report from my heart surgeon when i had my yearly checkup i mentioned i was going to oz and can i be seen there ,and he said that he would wait for my notice of where our new address was and tranfer my notes to the top surgeon there, as my heart surgeon was fantastic.he wrote out the rep[ort and it was with me within a week!!

I gave all this in with letter from my brain surgeon saying i was normal and he didnt care to see me again as i was fine, to the panel doctor and he just sent it in, after saying"if you didnt have a scar i would never of known".
Dr million by the way, in manchester, BRILLIANT.

how much do you have to pay schools. are most of them free as in uk or do you pay for every school?

just want to send our kid/s (when we have em) to normal everyday schools that they will be happy in. We dont want boarding type scholls, or ones with he snobbery with elitist schools(parents i mean.

I guess im just asking what the normal schools are like?

thanks
al
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Mostly in Oz, the state (free) primary schools are fine and the state high schools are not. I have heard of some primary schools that have problems but they are all in deprived areas and the problems really stem from poor parenting.

Some of the State High schools on the coast have okay reputations eg Helensvale and Benowa, and some are shockers with huge drug problems eg Miami High.

TSS is the only school that is a bit elitist but nothing of major concern.

As to the cost: Do a web search for the school and see if the cost is on their web site. I know St Hilda's is. TSS is about $15K a year and would be the most expensive. You do have to pay extras like library fund or building fund too.

So why have you chosen Tweed? Is it the Tweed Valley that appeals or the Coast? I like the south end of the Coast too esp Currumbin.

Queenie

thanks for that.,

Ive no idea how i passed myt meds.
I went in with a 10 page report from my heart surgeon when i had my yearly checkup i mentioned i was going to oz and can i be seen there ,and he said that he would wait for my notice of where our new address was and tranfer my notes to the top surgeon there, as my heart surgeon was fantastic.he wrote out the rep[ort and it was with me within a week!!

I gave all this in with letter from my brain surgeon saying i was normal and he didnt care to see me again as i was fine, to the panel doctor and he just sent it in, after saying"if you didnt have a scar i would never of known".
Dr million by the way, in manchester, BRILLIANT.

how much do you have to pay schools. are most of them free as in uk or do you pay for every school?

just want to send our kid/s (when we have em) to normal everyday schools that they will be happy in. We dont want boarding type scholls, or ones with he snobbery with elitist schools(parents i mean.

I guess im just asking what the normal schools are like?

thanks
al
Old Jun 4th 2005, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

Not so near to Tweed but friends of ours recently started their 13 year old at Robina High (which is a state school) and he loves it!! Told us he can't wait to go to school now and yet hated school in the UK.
Very large, new school, with exc facilities and good links with Bond Uni... might be worth a look on their website, just in case you decide to live in their catchment area.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:17 pm
Banned

Hi.
not decided on anywhere yet, just making enquiries trhabjs
My friend(who is hopefully mving out in 2 years) mum and sis are there and he says it is very beautiful and ive seen a few pics, but thats all really so far.
We are off in nov to validate and have a look round from kingscliff up to noosa for a 3 week reccy, then decide on a place to live at the end of it, and we are coming back to uk for a year or so to enjoy our mates a while longer before we hitch up and go.
alk