Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any good internet/cheap calls to UK??

any good internet/cheap calls to UK??

Old Oct 29th 2011, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of
Default any good internet/cheap calls to UK??

Looking for a line rental, broadband and good international calling rate to UK..so far its between Telstra or I Primus ??? any others ...??
Old Oct 29th 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any good internet/cheap calls to UK??

Try Skype, its free.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Ravvers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rackcatt
Looking for a line rental, broadband and good international calling rate to UK..so far its between Telstra or I Primus ??? any others ...??
You can find cheap international calling cards on www.phonecardselector.com.au

It compares the best cards on the market and shows your the price and how many mins. you get. I bought one for $10 and it got me 100s of mins to the UK and expires after 3 months I think.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 12:59 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rackcatt
Make sure you have unlimited local calls on your home phone package..... Get a Skype out number @ $9.99 for Unlimited calls to Europe.

Each number on your favourite list gets a unique local number which you dial and the phone rings in the UK...... unlimited time for $9.99.
My wife has at least 1 hour per day to her mum and has done for the last 6 years.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

hi

we use TPG unlimited broadband and line rental for $60 i believe international phone calls are 2c a min although i am not 100% sure of this as we use our mobiles

we have our mobiles with TPG as well who use optus for $30 a month no contract sim only you get $600 worth of calls per month international included and another $400 for calls TPG TO TPG

we phone and text all the time to the u.k and have never got even close to using all of our allowance

they also do cheaper mobile deals as well
Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:30 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I dont pay for phone calls....

$5 a month VOIP costs (mynetfone [whirlpool netsaver plan]) covers all our calls locally and to UK.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

thanks guys..we use skype all the time thats what is killing the bills we first had with wifi telstra, then moved to optus at $3 a day unlimited !!
but just thought maybe cheaper to have broadband rather than wifi...
we have $30 a month mobiles..get $150 credit..but may go with TPG .hear lot about them
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:02 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a Sipgate number in the UK. Then people in the UK can call a UK number and get you in Australia, and you can call out in the UK at 1p per minute.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

Try and see if vivid wireless is available in your area. Costs around $300 for the box but then its only $92 per month. That covers you for unlimited broadband, free local calls, and free calls to the uk and 7 other countries. Can't remember what those were though. Been using it for over a year and its been great.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

I use Pennytel VOIP, no monthly costs and 8c per call to the UK, unlimited time. Also have a sipgate number in the UK, which was free too - mum in law dials a local number in her home town and our phone rings - she only pays local call cost, which she thinks is magic.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coldbeer
I use Pennytel VOIP, no monthly costs and 8c per call to the UK, unlimited time.
I use Pennytel too, 8c untimed is pretty damn good.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I use Pennytel too, 8c untimed is pretty damn good.

I use the voice and video chat client that is now part of GMail - It's very cheap - I loaded my Google account up with a whole $10 of credit months ago, and still have $6.22 left on it, having used it a lot to call both overseas and locally. it really saves messing about with calling cards etc, and allows you to just dial the number directly. You do need a reasonably fast network connection though - It's very choppy in my GF's Unwired system.

S
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

we got rid of our landline ages ago. The only real people we were calling on it were UK based family, and they all had computers/iphones/whatnot.

Now I just use either Skype (on the laptop & phone) or Viber (on the phone) to call them, and it just costs data - which is more than covered on both boradband and mobile.

I do have Skype credit in case I need to call landlines in the UK. The credit hardly ever goes down. I think I've used a dollar in a year, and did make quite a few calls to UK landlines whilst buying a house.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
You can get a Sipgate number in the UK. Then people in the UK can call a UK number and get you in Australia, and you can call out in the UK at 1p per minute.
Can this be used for Ireland as well.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:22 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Can this be used for Ireland as well.
Don't think so.

They hand out UK number, and I don't think there is a Sipgate Ireland.

Also they check you geolocation whenyou sign up, so you have to look like you are in the UK to get a UK number.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.