Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any good curries on the GC???

any good curries on the GC???

Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of
Default any good curries on the GC???

Hi Guys - does anyone know of any good curry houses on the GC that are like the curries back in the UK?! We've tried a couple of places and don't get me wrong -they were far more authentic than in the UK (!!), but do miss the western curries!!! (The only thing i miss i must admit!)

Looking forward to hearing from you!

JJ
Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: any good curries on the GC???

Get ready for some bad news..........no. After trying over 12 different Indian restaurants i have given up. We have now purchased several Indian cook books (published in the UK) and cook our own which are a lot closer to UK currys than from restaurants over here. We also have curry nights, have one this Friday where we have friends over and do several currys etc. Still looking for a Indian music cd and bad wall paper to properly remind us of home. We have been told that there is a good curry house in Bayside, owned by a couple from Wolverhampton. Who will cook a UK curry for you when asked. Good luck. Quill.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Basically the answer is no, after 4 years I have never found a good one and they are all crap and I have tried all of the ones on the Goldie . The only one worth mentioning and it would only mark an English score of 7 out of ten is Spice Avenue in Birkdale, Bayside, Brizzy. It is the best here in Queensland and finding a decent Indian is something you will always unfortunately miss. Great passionate owner from west Brom I think who really tries to bring the English style but the England football shirts worn by the staff is a little naf to say the least.

Indian Whisper at Runaway Bay is ok (ish) also.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Curry here on the Gold Coast isn't anything like the ones you get in the UK unfortunately.
Can't recommend any of the indian restaurants here at all.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

Thanks guys - you've saved me a fortune in trying!!!! It's not that the curries here aren't nice - they are - but sometimes, a good old uk curry goes down well! Oh well - the taste buds will soon forget what they taste like!!!

Think i'll do the same - try cooking my own!!!!!

JJ

Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

mick and beck is an unknown quantity at this point

We love our curries, and just wondered if it's possible to buy Pataks curry paste out there to make our own, as by the sounds of it there are no decent restaurants out there to get our much needed curry hit?? My hubbies an aussie but hasn't been home for nearly 3 years now so isn't too sure Thanks
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mick and beck
We love our curries, and just wondered if it's possible to buy Pataks curry paste out there to make our own, as by the sounds of it there are no decent restaurants out there to get our much needed curry hit?? My hubbies an aussie but hasn't been home for nearly 3 years now so isn't too sure Thanks

Good news YES you can, we are in Melbourne and have discovered that aussie curry houses are nothing like UK, so we buy pataks paste's and sauces and make our own.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:18 am
Account Closed

mick and beck is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for that Simpy. You've made me very happy! Sad i know but you just can't beat a good curry. Now i won't have to lug 2 boxes of pataks through customs! Rebecca
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

There's an Indian in Paddington called Indus. The interior is not the typical Indian as we know it but we had good food (by Oz standards) and recommend the vindaloo! It's BYO and they do two for one on a Tues but it's reasonable any day of the week. Only weird thing is they don't do Madras.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:15 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by karenjc
Get ready for some bad news..........no. After trying over 12 different Indian restaurants i have given up. We have now purchased several Indian cook books (published in the UK) and cook our own which are a lot closer to UK currys than from restaurants over here. We also have curry nights, have one this Friday where we have friends over and do several currys etc. Still looking for a Indian music cd and bad wall paper to properly remind us of home. We have been told that there is a good curry house in Bayside, owned by a couple from Wolverhampton. Who will cook a UK curry for you when asked. Good luck. Quill.
There is a new one in Oxenford that is ok (next to Big Chief and Fish bottle shop), for Madras uk style order their Vindaloo and it is exactly the same, nan breads are cooked in a tandoori too, as is the chicken tikka (lots just use a conventional oven over here.
Samosas are crap, Bhajis also, so if it's just curry then it is the best I,ve had so far on the gold coast (tandoori place is god awful, there are about 5 of them on the GC $80 take away straight in the bin)