Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any good chefs coming To Perth?

Any good chefs coming To Perth?

Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any good chefs coming To Perth?

A client of mine was a new arrival to Perth from the UK almost 3 years ago. He is a chef and had a couple of jobs in the Perth metro area prior to scoring a high paying management position up the mines.

I have just sold his house in Carramar and we had a celebratory bottle of red wine today; during which the topic of good chefs being apparently hard to find was discussed?

If anyone with cooking qualifications (who called the cook a ****** ...... who called the ****** a cook?) is interested in being a FLY-IN/FLY-OUT chef up the mines; email me your resume and i will forward it on to him.

The roster is 2 weeks on, one week off. Flights up to mine site, accommodation, and keep are provided by the company. Conditions are apparently A-Okay, it's a go-ahead catering company with big ideas of massive expansion for the future! One of my sons works up there and he loves it.

The manager is a very likable decent sort of Pom .............. so if you are interested sing out?
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any good chefs coming To Perth?

Originally Posted by Bobcat
A client of mine was a new arrival to Perth from the UK almost 3 years ago. He is a chef and had a couple of jobs in the Perth metro area prior to scoring a high paying management position up the mines.

I have just sold his house in Carramar and we had a celebratory bottle of red wine today; during which the topic of good chefs being apparently hard to find was discussed?

If anyone with cooking qualifications (who called the cook a ****** ...... who called the ****** a cook?) is interested in being a FLY-IN/FLY-OUT chef up the mines; email me your resume and i will forward it on to him.

The roster is 2 weeks on, one week off. Flights up to mine site, accommodation, and keep are provided by the company. Conditions are apparently A-Okay, it's a go-ahead catering company with big ideas of massive expansion for the future! One of my sons works up there and he loves it.

The manager is a very likable decent sort of Pom .............. so if you are interested sing out?
ok - who wants my kids for 2 weeks out of 4?????????
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:13 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
ok - who wants my kids for 2 weeks out of 4?????????
If you hadn't of posted I would have pm'ed you now get thee to bed and rest woman! That's an order!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
If you hadn't of posted I would have pm'ed you now get thee to bed and rest woman! That's an order!
ooh you scary nurse!! I been in bed most of the afternoon. Im just waiting for my dinner to cook them i will head back off to bed. thanks for caring though
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

hello there
like to hear some more about the mines, seems to be good money any info would be good. i arrive in 7 weeks (perth)
many thanks ( 20 years in the job)
Dave
Old Aug 15th 2007, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad.chef
hello there
like to hear some more about the mines, seems to be good money any info would be good. i arrive in 7 weeks (perth)
many thanks ( 20 years in the job)
Dave
It's a FIFO posting doing a 2week on 1 week off hitch......... so could be a bit hard on families?

On the other hand though.......... it could give someone a leg-up in terms of being able to save some serious money and help them get on the property ladder?

Starting rate isn't brilliant at $56,000 or $57,000 per annum.......... but it isn't too bad and it gets a foot in the door and with this mob........ apparently there's scope for promotion if you want to as they say down-under, 'grow with the company'....... ?

I got a client of mine from Mindarie a start on the rigs as a chef several years ago.......... he's currently doing a 3 week on 3 week off swing up in Vietnam.. ... his salary is $109,000 per annum. That's not bad for 6 months work eh?

It's hard to get up the mines initially if you don't know anyone (same with the rigs too!) ...... they get heaps of applications each month. I was on the job application merry-go-round years ago..... knock back, after knock back, after knock back so I know what it's like from first hand experience. Once you get up there though and get to know how the system works...... you've cracked it. It's just getting that initial start which is usually a problem.

The big attraction for a family trying to save for a house, should be the fact that whilst doing your two weeks on hitch.......... you shouldn't be spending too much as food and accommodation are all provided. You will get idiots up there who earn big money but save absolutely nothing 'cos they spend big money in the pub. Pointless being up there if that is what you are apt to do; I was like that when single....... then one day I woke up to myself!

I don't have a catering background so don't know the ins and outs re what the job requires ? I run my own real estate agency here in Perth; my connection being that I sold a house to the manager who does the hiring and firing when he was a newly arrived migrant from the UK about 3 years ago. Also, one of my sons works up there too!

Email your resume to me and I'll forward it on to the appropriate person; that way you've got beyond the front desk right away and you're not going to get filed in the 'bin'......... which is what usually happens when a company gets inundated with job applications.

good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

It's a FIFO posting doing a 2week on 1 week off hitch......... so could be a bit hard on families?

On the other hand though.......... it could give someone a leg-up in terms of being able to save some serious money and help them get on the property ladder?

Starting rate isn't brilliant at $56,000 or $57,000 per annum.......... but it isn't too bad and it gets a foot in the door and with this mob........ apparently there's scope for promotion if you want to as they say down-under, 'grow with the company'....... ?

I got a client of mine from Mindarie a start on the rigs as a chef several years ago.......... he's currently doing a 3 week on 3 week off swing up in Vietnam.. ... his salary is $109,000 per annum. That's not bad for 6 months work eh?

It's hard to get up the mines initially if you don't know anyone (same with the rigs too!) ...... they get heaps of applications each month. I was on the job application merry-go-round years ago..... knock back, after knock back, after knock back so I know what it's like from first hand experience. Once you get up there though and get to know how the system works...... you've cracked it. It's just getting that initial start which is usually a problem.

The big attraction for a family trying to save for a house, should be the fact that whilst doing your two weeks on hitch.......... you shouldn't be spending too much as food and accommodation are all provided. You will get idiots up there who earn big money but save absolutely nothing 'cos they spend big money in the pub. Pointless being up there if that is what you are apt to do; I was like that when single....... then one day I woke up to myself!

I don't have a catering background so don't know the ins and outs re what the job requires ? I run my own real estate agency here in Perth; my connection being that I sold a house to the manager who does the hiring and firing when he was a newly arrived migrant from the UK about 3 years ago. Also, one of my sons works up there too!

Email your resume to me and I'll forward it on to the appropriate person; that way you've got beyond the front desk right away and you're not going to get filed in the 'bin'......... which is what usually happens when a company gets inundated with job applications.

good luck.
do you know what position that would be for ? just a chef or second /head chef ?as i can get that money in the city. depending on the possition.but i am still interested
thanks
Dave
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mad.chef
do you know what position that would be for ? just a chef or second /head chef ?as i can get that money in the city. depending on the possition.but i am still interested
thanks
Dave
G'uday Dave ....... no worries.

Just had a 5 star meal done at our place by a new hire who was an executive Chef working Cunard Line passenger ships from Dover/Southampton to New York.

He has just done his first hitch up the mine; he started from scratch on the bottom rung on a basic starting salary of $57K. He has run the show in some top notch hotels throughout the world....... so catering for a mess hall is a bit of a come-down, but he likes it up there! He's happy to start low down and work up; long term ambition to score a job offshore with same company as that's where the big money is.

After what he knocked up for us in our kitchen tonight..... I reckon the miners will be as sick as a parrot if he ever decides to leave. It was a shame to eat what he dished out as it was a work of art with all these fancy sauces and intricate design work. We normally eat on our knee at home but tonight's banquet was something special........ had to use the table.

Can't promise anyone anything........ but I've got 4 resumes going up to site at 5-00am tomorrow. Good luck to those that have applied.