Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any floor fitters out there!!!

Any floor fitters out there!!!

Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:00 pm
Sarrob

Default Any floor fitters out there!!!

I'm a floor fitter (wood,vinyl sheet,tiles,amtico,carpets) we are moving to Melbourne in June or July not to sure.I want to start working for my self,sub contracting,sole tradsman.Can anyone give me advise on where i can get info on forms,tax,documents i need to start up.Cheers

Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:10 pm
Sarrob

Unhappy Re: Any floor fitters out there!!!

Originally Posted by Sarrob
I'm a floor fitter (wood,vinyl sheet,tiles,amtico,carpets) we are moving to Melbourne in June or July not to sure.I want to start working for my self,sub contracting,sole tradsman.Can anyone give me advise on where i can get info on forms,tax,documents i need to start up.Cheers
Oh thats good looks like i will be busy no floor layers in Melbourne!!

Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:46 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any floor fitters out there!!!

Originally Posted by Sarrob
Don't know if you need a licence for working as a floor layer down there, Up here in Qld they haven't established a specific one for sheet flooring yet. There's talk of it though things do move slowly here.
You'll need to have a Tax file number from the ATO and with that you can apply online for an ABN
After that you'll need the obligatory white tradies Ute to shove your gear on fitted with some roof bars and away you go.
Visit a few of the flooring shops and drop in some cards and make yourself known personally. Look in the white pages for the local mobile glue and trim guy. These guys drive around town delivering all your consumables like capping and gripper rods etc. and can be very useful for finding work.
Good luck
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:50 pm
Sarrob

Default Re: Any floor fitters out there!!!

Originally Posted by cresta57
Don't know if you need a licence for working as a floor layer down there, Up here in Qld they haven't established a specific one for sheet flooring yet. There's talk of it though things do move slowly here.
You'll need to have a Tax file number from the ATO and with that you can apply online for an ABN
After that you'll need the obligatory white tradies Ute to shove your gear on fitted with some roof bars and away you go.
Visit a few of the flooring shops and drop in some cards and make yourself known personally. Look in the white pages for the local mobile glue and trim guy. These guys drive around town delivering all your consumables like capping and gripper rods etc. and can be very useful for finding work.
Good luck
Thanks thats great info