British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Any fellow Paint Sprayers out there?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-fellow-paint-sprayers-out-there-420804/)

The Moore Family Jan 22nd 2007 10:42 am

Any fellow Paint Sprayers out there??

Hi, i am hoping to emigrate to Perth under a skilled migration visa and was just wondering if there are any other paint sprayers out there who have done the same thing. I wanted to get some info about the number of vacancies, rates of pay etc.

I would be grateful for any feedback.

Many thanks

Grant:thumbup:

karenjc Jan 22nd 2007 11:10 am

Re: Any fellow Paint Sprayers out there??

Hi, i am a sprayer and have been on the Gold coast for about 15 months. When i first arrived there was lots of work due to the hail storms but to be honest things have gone very quite now and i would say it is a little bit tough getting a job at the moment. Rates of pay vary and not many shops do a bonus system. Solvent paint is still the go with plans in the future to bring in waterbased. Health and safety seems to be very poor, but all in all i would rather be painting here than in the UK. All the best Quill..

alkristensen Apr 17th 2007 1:09 am

Originally Posted by karenjc (Post 4311808)
Hi, i am a sprayer and have been on the Gold coast for about 15 months. When i first arrived there was lots of work due to the hail storms but to be honest things have gone very quite now and i would say it is a little bit tough getting a job at the moment. Rates of pay vary and not many shops do a bonus system. Solvent paint is still the go with plans in the future to bring in waterbased. Health and safety seems to be very poor, but all in all i would rather be painting here than in the UK. All the best Quill..

Hi, how much for a spray job on a car out there. is it cheaper or the same as the uk please mate.

I have a 63 karmann ghia(my avatar) and want it sprayed silver when i get out there if its cheaper. I want dash front and doors, insiide bonne and boot too if this helps. Full lot windows out doors off and seals etc. ill do alot of the work stripping the car

thanks alot for a rough guesstimate if you can please
al

The Bread Knife Apr 29th 2007 1:39 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4652597)
Hi, how much for a spray job on a car out there. is it cheaper or the same as the uk please mate.

I have a 63 karmann ghia(my avatar) and want it sprayed silver when i get out there if its cheaper. I want dash front and doors, insiide bonne and boot too if this helps. Full lot windows out doors off and seals etc. ill do alot of the work stripping the car

al

Hi guy's,
I'm looking for a panel beater / paint sprayer to run my Kombishop paint shop in sunny Noosa, sunshine coast.
Please contact me if your intrested !!! [url]www.kombishop.com.au

karenjc Apr 29th 2007 6:34 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4652597)

al

Work on the shop floor so don't really know about prices, sorry.
It depends on where you take it i guess, it's the same as the Uk good and bad body shops. Thing is if you have it done in the UK and something goes wrong several months later and your in Oz what can you do.

karenjc Apr 29th 2007 6:36 am

Originally Posted by The Bread Knife (Post 4712027)
Hi guy's,
I'm looking for a panel beater / paint sprayer to run my Kombishop paint shop in sunny Noosa, sunshine coast.
Please contact me if your intrested !!! [url]www.kombishop.com.au

If you were this side of Brissie i would take you up as i used to paint vw kombis in my youth. Good luck. Quill.

wintersgills Apr 29th 2007 8:54 am

Originally Posted by The Moore Family (Post 4311725)
Hi, i am hoping to emigrate to Perth under a skilled migration visa and was just wondering if there are any other paint sprayers out there who have done the same thing. I wanted to get some info about the number of vacancies, rates of pay etc.

I would be grateful for any feedback.

Many thanks

Grant:thumbup:

hi mate ime a spraypainter here in brisbane had a few mates spraypainting in perth they were on $32p/h and plenty work:thumbsup:

alkristensen Apr 29th 2007 11:02 am

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by karenjc (Post 4712438)
If you were this side of Brissie i would take you up as i used to paint vw kombis in my youth. Good luck. Quill.

im moving up to brisbane probably in a years time after having a bit of fun in Sydney so ill look you up when i get over there

heres a couple of pics for a guesstimate if you can, no worries if not.
And the silver one is how id like her to look eventually

cheers

al

eddie007 Apr 29th 2007 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by wintersgills (Post 4712729)
hi mate ime a spraypainter here in brisbane had a few mates spraypainting in perth they were on $32p/h and plenty work:thumbsup:

The agency I contacted for hubby... (he is a paint sprayer and panal beater) said wages approx A$17 per hour. He has 25 years experience and we are heading for perth... we had decided he could become house husband... but if the money is more like the $A32 then he will be working:)

Mrs Kiwi May 3rd 2007 7:06 pm

hi eddie007
could you tell me what agency you contacted for spray painting jobs for your hubbie? I know you are heading to Perth, we are heading to Brisbane and my hubbie is also a spaypainter. Did the agency cover just Perth or was it more nationwide? Do you know of any other agencies for spraypainters? Does anyone? Or where else are spraypainting jobs advertised in Oz?
Thanks x

eddie007 May 3rd 2007 7:11 pm

I contacted [email protected] I will be sending them a cv. It may be worth a google for the area you are heading to...

Mrs Kiwi May 3rd 2007 8:00 pm

brilliant, thanks eddie007.
I get so much conflicting information about spraypainting in OZ. On one hand, vehicle painter is on the occupations "in demand" list and I read somewhere they can do really well money wise, then I hear/ read somewhere else that there isn't much work around & it is poorly paid. Perhaps it is on the "in demand" list because it is poorly paid so no-one wants to do it? Any opinions/ experience on that, anyone? X

jond May 3rd 2007 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi (Post 4734270)
brilliant, thanks eddie007.
I get so much conflicting information about spraypainting in OZ. On one hand, vehicle painter is on the occupations "in demand" list and I read somewhere they can do really well money wise, then I hear/ read somewhere else that there isn't much work around & it is poorly paid. Perhaps it is on the "in demand" list because it is poorly paid so no-one wants to do it? Any opinions/ experience on that, anyone? X

Hi

I am in Melbourne and just like the UK there is a real shortage of good skilled panel beaters/sprayers. This is because it isn't the greatest job in the world, hard work, dirty etc and not many youngsters want to get into it.

There is plenty of work here, but don't think you will be able to retire young. The wages are pretty average between $800-$1000 p/w.

One of the reasons for this is that the insurance companies have a tighter stranglehold on the trade here than in the UK (I know I am an insurance assessor) and the repairers don't get that much for the jobs.

You can earn a bit more by contracting, but beware of these people who claim they are earning a fortune doing because they are not. Also you are the 1st out the door when things go quite.

Hope this helps, if you require any further info let me know.

John

eddie007 May 4th 2007 7:41 am

"I am in Melbourne and just like the UK there is a real shortage of good skilled panel beaters/sprayers. This is because it isn't the greatest job in the world, hard work, dirty etc and not many youngsters want to get into it."

Same sh*t shinnier bucket!!!

At least my hubby wont have a huge culture shock then... the idea of wall to wall carpet and velvet drapes in the workshops and mrble floored gold tapped washrooms was really beinning to frighten him
:rofl:

jond May 4th 2007 8:17 am

At least my hubby wont have a huge culture shock then... the idea of wall to wall carpet and velvet drapes in the workshops and mrble floored gold tapped washrooms was really beinning to frighten him
:rofl:[/QUOTE]

The workshops out here are just the same as the UK, same equipment etc and like back there you have have clean ones, dirty ones and downright disgusting ones.

On the subject of wages, I was chatting to a repairer today who is from Northern Ireland and he said that for this area wages are about $800-$850 if you are employed. He doesn't use contractors and reckons it is not that big down here anymore, but he said you would earn about $1100-$1200 maximum. You would be self employed sorting out your own tax, super with no holiday and sick pay.