Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Old Jan 29th 2012, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
What price is your average house? Iv been looking at some for 300-350k. What's rough mortgage on that with say 10% deposit for example? 2k a month?
Well it was mentioned earlier in this thread, quite correctly, that the average house price in Perth is 450k. I was giving figures for repayments on around $385k over 30 years (so a 65k deposit).
Old Jan 29th 2012, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Well it was mentioned earlier in this thread, quite correctly, that the average house price in Perth is 450k. I was giving figures for repayments on around $385k over 30 years (so a 65k deposit).
$3k a month on a 385k mortgage? So paying back $1 million? Is that right?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:46 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

What price is your average house? Iv been looking at some for 300-350k. What's rough mortgage on that with say 10% deposit for example? 2k a month?
We moved from the Northern Beaches of Sydney to the Northern Beaches of Wollongong. Partly for quality of life but also partly because of housing costs.
For example, very rough average cost of decent house to buy in Sydney Northern Beaches is $800k. In Wollongong Northern Beaches its $600k. You can find cheaper homes but they are in non preferred (as in demographic) areas and not of a great quality build.
In the Sydney metropolitan area house prices are outrageous and not at all value for money, but, its the market. Getting into that market is the difficult thing and as one poster mentioned, young people starting off can accept compromises and poor areas for the short term, us oldies coming over from the UK with little equity are finding it far more difficult.
The $100k salary is decent in my view and you can have a decent lifestyle on it, but not if you have to pay a high mortgage on an overpriced fibro/weatherboard shithole in Sydney.
I will however concede that there is a lot of 'house envy' here, you walk around and see fabulous houses owned by tradies and think wow, how can I get some of that? But, they know the housebuilding business, have started 20 odd years ago and have mates rates to help build. Soooooo....renting it is then!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I find this thread totally baffling...

I came to Aus 5 years ago with only $3K and immediately put $1K of that on a bond. Two years later I had enough money to buy an apartment in one of the best suburbs in town. I have $50K in savings and earn about $75 a year. I am very comfortable on that money. I am at a complete loss as to understand what some of you are spending your money on unless you have families of course.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:00 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I find this thread totally baffling...

I came to Aus 5 years ago with only $3K and immediately put $1K of that on a bond. Two years later I had enough money to buy an apartment in one of the best suburbs in town. I have $50K in savings and earn about $75 a year. I am very comfortable on that money. I am at a complete loss as to understand what some of you are spending your money on unless you have families of course.
Well as a single person your lifestyle is completely different than a familys....probably a lot happier too!!

May I ask how much your apartment cost you 3 years ago? Also don't forget an apartment is the gift that keeps taking....quarterly Strata levies etc.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Well as a single person your lifestyle is completely different than a familys....probably a lot happier too!!

May I ask how much your apartment cost you 3 years ago? Also don't forget an apartment is the gift that keeps taking....quarterly Strata levies etc.
$265. I know what you're going to say: 'You wouldn't get an apartment for that in Sydney etc etc'.

My reply to that would be to move elsewhere if people find it too expensive there. There are many much cheaper places in Aus which are also much nicer. I live in a spectacular location here in the Wet Tropics and wouldn't swap it for anywhere down south.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:45 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

ha ha...'move elsewhere'....if only people could mate. Please understand that some people who are replying to this thread do NOT have a choice YET. They are either on a State or Company sponsored Visa and thus have to live in a certain place. They have families and with that comes a need for stability and giving up the freedom of packing up and moving on at will.

I have no doubt that your location is fabulous, in fact I'll know soon when I visit in April, but again, you have the luxury of choice that some may not yet have.

$265k..........if only huh!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

$3k a month on a 385k mortgage? So paying back $1 million? Is that right?
Well, the 3k includes rates and insurances but even still, when you put it like that,
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paddyo
$265k..........if only huh!
Are you calling me a liar?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:28 am
Account Closed

Look I've just received terrible news from the UK. My 6 year old nephew is dying and I am preparing for the worst. I just don't need this right now!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:58 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I just read that as 'If only I could have got one at that price"
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:16 am
Social Grenade Thrower

what??? Not at all....the 'if only' means 'if only they were that price in this area'.
Why did you assume such a negative thing?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:17 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Look I've just received terrible news from the UK. My 6 year old nephew is dying and I am preparing for the worst. I just don't need this right now!
chill fella......sorry for your bad news and all that and maybe your emotions are running high but there was never any negativity intended.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Right, so you get your new mortgage and you have to tighten your belt for the first couple of years...........is this something new
WTF takes out a 30 year mortgage? Must be off their head.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Gross income of 100k is a net income of what 70k or something?

Daycare for my youngest costs $410 a week or $21,320 a year alone

I have absolutely no idea how anyone paying rent/mortgage and kids in childcare could live on take home pay of 70k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.