Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:44 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by chris955
For you of course, for me beaches are of zero importance and London just has something very few cities has which is why it is one of the great cities of the world along with New York, Paris and Rome. I would never live in any city anyway but we are all different.
oh don't get me wrong, I love London, grew up there as a kid but appreciated far more when working there a few years ago. Fabulous place.
But irrespective of your need, you can pretty much find it in Sydney...well...aside from centuries old architecture of course!!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 11:17 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

That's why there is no 'one size fits all'. Thank goodness there isn't actually because everyone would want to live there

Originally Posted by paddyo
oh don't get me wrong, I love London, grew up there as a kid but appreciated far more when working there a few years ago. Fabulous place.
But irrespective of your need, you can pretty much find it in Sydney...well...aside from centuries old architecture of course!!
Old Jan 28th 2012, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

fairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to all

DH last tax said he had earned $102k
we are a family of 6 and 2 cats
eat only organic
one wage
rent a huge 4 bed 3 bath and live fine
we will be better when I work too ..
Old Jan 28th 2012, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fairystar
DH last tax said he had earned $102k
we are a family of 6 and 2 cats
eat only organic
one wage
rent a huge 4 bed 3 bath and live fine
we will be better when I work too ..

Is that Perth?
Old Jan 28th 2012, 8:49 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by isgraham
No it's wont.
Of course it will. The only expense in Sydney that's significantly greater than the other capitals is real estate, and even this can be reduced by renting instead of buying.

Anyone earning $100k+ is in a very exclusive club:

NEARLY half of Sydney believes you need to earn $100,000 or more to live a comfortable life in this town - double the proportion of just three years ago.

A poll by the Sydney Business Chamber found 47 per cent of people now consider this is a six-figure city.

In a 2007 chamber poll, just 24 per cent thought it was necessary to earn $100,000 to live well in Sydney.

In the new poll, 15 per cent of respondents said they earned six figures.

That's more than double the national percentage, with the Australian Taxation Office saying just 6 per cent of Australians had a taxable income of more than $100,000 a year.

Only 20 of NSW's nearly 900 postcodes - that's 2.2 per cent - had an average income of more than $100,000 in 2007-08, the most recent tax statistics available. And all those are in Sydney.
(Source).

How do you explain the fact that nearly everyone living in Sydney is earning <$100k, when according to you this is virtually impossible?

And Sydney would require a minimum of $200k as I've told many recruitment agents over the last year.
Evidently they don't think you're worth $200k. I guess that explains why you're not working in Sydney!

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 28th 2012 at 8:57 am.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

fairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to all

No we live in Brisbane .
Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Is that Perth?
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

No we live in Brisbane .
Ah... Thanks alot for that! That's where I hope to end up after Mackay! Glad to see some one who says they are surviving!!
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

No we live in Brisbane .
P.s. where abouts? Iv been looking around bracken ridge and north lakes. Some cracking prices there for houses. Is it really that drab and boring like people are saying?
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

we live Southside
Old Jan 28th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Anyone earning $100k+ is in a very exclusive :
not that exclusive. I can't think of anyone I know here, and I know a lot of people, who earns less than that.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jan 28th 2012 at 9:37 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
not that exclusive. I can't think of anyone I know here, and I know a lot of people, who earns less than that.
I know some who are, but they are seriously struggling and more than one is just increasing their credit card spending to get the basics. I dont know anyone that is on less and doing ok
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:46 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
I know some who are, but they are seriously struggling and more than one is just increasing their credit card spending to get the basics. I dont know anyone that is on less and doing ok
Ditto. 2 of my friends are on combined incomes of less than $100K. One is struggling a bit more than the other (young children vs almost grown-up children). But neither family wants to leave Perth.

If I wasnt working, hubs and I would be under the $100k as well, and while we know we could do it, it wouldn't be pretty. It would be a very very very basic lifestyle. I'm just really thankful I'm working so we can have some luxuries.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
If they are having to put basic living costs on their credit card, then they are probably living beyond their means and are no doubt in serious trouble - I know, I've been there!

I don't have a credit card - having learnt that lesson in the UK. Paying that off was the best feeling ever, but from then on I said that I would never have a credit card ever again. If I can't afford it, I don't buy it - simple as that.

Whilst I don't have a mortgage because I rent, I can afford to eat, pay my bills and I still manage to afford the odd luxury including going out most Friday nights. So it can be done - but only when you know the limits and stick to them.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Right, so you get your new mortgage and you have to tighten your belt for the first couple of years...........is this something new
Not at all, totally agree with you that most people have to tighten their belts when they get a mortgage, but what would the take-home pay be on, say, an 80k package? Probably around 55k or thereabouts. A 30 year mortgage on an "average" priced house, plus home insurance, plus rates and water could be around 37k which would leave only 18k per year for everything else!

I just think that even with the tightest of "belts" that would be really hard when you consider food shopping, vehicle costs etc.

I know that a first-time buyer could be looking for a small house far from any city, but I'm thinking more of the age 40+++ people who may have a couple of teenagers, who may not have had much equity from their house in the UK - not such a long housing ladder for them.

I definitely reckon that no matter how much they tighten their belts, on a salary of less that $100k things will be very tough if not impossible. Some of my figures above are rough estimates but the mortgage figures are very accurate.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

What price is your average house? Iv been looking at some for 300-350k. What's rough mortgage on that with say 10% deposit for example? 2k a month?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.