Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Old Feb 4th 2012, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

From that I can see people asking why are you spending beyond income on luxuries? And if not working why pay for preschool?
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
From that I can see people asking why are you spending beyond income on luxuries? And if not working why pay for preschool?
Originally Posted by SenoraJo
OH works FT $57000 pa, about $3,600 take home per month
Me PT between $50-60,000 $1250 take home per fortnight

Preschool 3 days = $201 per week (i get rebate of some of this)
It helps to read what someone has written before judging their lifestyle.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:15 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

That just isn't the BE way

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:17 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

4x purchase price, that's a hell of a flatline

Originally Posted by Beoz
If you choose to live where you do, then enjoy. I certainly would not sacrific my quality of life just to get on the property ladder and watch that investment flatline in capital gain
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

I didn't judge any one if you read properly. I said what people may think. She also said when she goes back to work, which suggests not working at all..
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice
Wink Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

I did mention maternity leave...can't work and breast feed until baby older and feeding slows down as can only express once per shift (am an RN).

Swimming not a luxury as we surrounded by ocean and lakes here. Dance only $14 week which would not makemch of a difference if we stopped and both love it. As I said we make it work and we are happy, dont have many luxuries but have great life - just spent a wonderful day at the beach, kids had a whale of a time.

The original question was any families living on less than $100k and I answered it - yes we are and we have a good life. Some things are more important than money and we do have the luxury of knowing that once the baby is older I can work more and things will get easier Can't believe we can be shot down for that..... but not surprised LOL
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

Is the OP referring to pre or post tax income? I have an offer for a job in Perth and I would be a single guy living on my own there. I've worked it out after tax and I'm just wandering what sort of standard of living c6000 Aus $ per month (after tax) would give someone? Is that good or bad?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SenoraJo
No it's not. Why would I pretend to be struggling if I'm not? The whole point of my post was to illustrate that it is possible to live on less than $100k a year and still be happy. There are tons of people much worse off (and older) than I.

As for saving thousands of dollars a month, how and where please?? I'll supply some more details, might help newbies thinking of a move and might stop insensitive comments like yours. You think I like the fact that I'm 39 and still making ends meet?

OH works FT $57000 pa, about $3,600 take home per month
Me PT between $50-60,000 $1250 take home per fortnight

Mortgage = $1265 a fortnight (rent here = 400-500 week 800-1000 fort)
Rates = $411 a quarter + water and sewerage cant remember those
Elec = 500-600 a quarter average
Preschool 3 days = $201 per week (i get rebate of some of this)
Coles shop = $200-250 per week
Nissan (16yr old) $40 week petrol + rego and ins each year
Kia (8 yr old) $70 week petrol + rego and ins each year
Doc's = $70 per visit plus prescriptions
Dentist = due last June, haven't been yet as skint!

No private healh insurance, no shares, no pension other than 9% super as can't afford it. I am currently on mat leave so even more skint. When u add it all up we are in the negative but use credit card and savings to get by. Had $30,000 in mortgage 6 yr ago available 4 redraw, now only $15,000 and will be less by the time i return to work later this year.

We still have wine/beer. We still take the kids out, mostly free stuff but we've been to the aquarium in Jan and swimming at big fun leisure pool so they do stuff. 4yr old has weekly swim lesson, cancelled 2 yr old for a term to save. Both dance once a week = $14. We have fun but move money around a bit. Before you all think about credit card debt, have $5500 max limit and up to about $1900 so far. We are just careful.

This is the reality for lots of us. Hope thats credible enough for the doubters.

Thanks to the above posters for their support concerning BingBobs response to my post

How about you share your story with us? We could all use some of your thousands?!?!
Hi SenoraJo

As the starter of this thread your breakdown of living costs/incomes was just what I was hoping for and is the kind of thing that I think is really helpful for new expats.

And I think Bingobob777 was well out of order with his comments. Downright rude So thanks for your input.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

fairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to all

We have lived on a single wage of just over $5k a mth for almost 3 yrs. We are a family of 6, rent a huge 4 bed/ 3 bath and have 2 cats. We eat organic meat/veg/fruit etc.. and live in Brissie.
As far as we were aware my DH is on a GOOD single wage, he is way above average and earns more on his own, than anyone we know (except one friend who has own business)
He has a company car with his fuel paid.

I dont get people who say you cannot live on 100K? it amazes me.
I guess we are more about a nice life than hugely materialistic. Kids go too state school and we dont go spending all the time but enjoy the entertainment of Australia in walks, beaches and the forest as much as possible.

If we were a single person on that I would say you will have a great life

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
Is the OP referring to pre or post tax income? I have an offer for a job in Perth and I would be a single guy living on my own there. I've worked it out after tax and I'm just wandering what sort of standard of living c6000 Aus $ per month (after tax) would give someone? Is that good or bad?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fairystar
We have lived on a single wage of just over $5k a mth for almost 3 yrs. We are a family of 6, rent a huge 4 bed/ 3 bath and have 2 cats. We eat organic meat/veg/fruit etc.. and live in Brissie.
As far as we were aware my DH is on a GOOD single wage, he is way above average and earns more on his own, than anyone we know (except one friend who has own business)
He has a company car with his fuel paid.

I dont get people who say you cannot live on 100K? it amazes me.
I guess we are more about a nice life than hugely materialistic. Kids go too state school and we dont go spending all the time but enjoy the entertainment of Australia in walks, beaches and the forest as much as possible.

If we were a single person on that I would say you will have a great life

Where abouts do you live in Brissie if you don't mind me asking?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

fairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to allfairystar is a name known to all

We live Southside

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Where abouts do you live in Brissie if you don't mind me asking?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Mate.....I think that comment is extremely harsh and uncalled for and to be frank rather niaive of the posters circumstances. We are all entitled to an opinion and yes we debate the validity of someones comments, but, that old chap was bad form!
My comment appears to have been misinterpreted slightly. It wasn't particularly a dig at the OP, more at how Western Society in general is headed. Two people working and earning an average wage can't make ends meet.

That is bollox.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Grow up you sanctimonious git.

You sound like a snotty teenager, complaining how its "all the parents fault". You think that "parents generation" got their house handed to them on a plate? You do don't you? You think they had it easy? Well guess again.

I hate these ****ing threads... unsubscribed.
Listen mate I'm fine, so I'm not bitching because of my own circumstances. However you're completely ****** ignorant of what's happening in the world if you think twenty year olds have the same opportunity and chances in life as their equivalent 30-40 years ago.

No final salary pension schemes - When I started working in 1995 I worked with plenty of guys in their early 50's who had worked for BR for 35 years, to a man they all retired with a 2/3 salary pension or more at 55. Most had houses in Florida or Spain. These guys weren't bosses or loaded with degrees, they started as apprentices and worked hard, that's it. Now people are lucky to get a defined contribution pension, which is basically skimmed every month to line the pockets of fund managers and totally dependent on the whims of someone else. No one, absolutely no twenty year old alive will retire on a 2/3 salary pension from paying in 5-6% of their annual salary.

University - Until a decade ago University was free in the UK. Now students can expect to finish with 40k of debt.

Houses - The average house is now at the highest multiple of average salary ever. So much so that as already discussed on this thread, a 30 year mortgage is deemed acceptable.

That's just three situations that exemplify what I'm talking about, there are more. People can't afford to retire, work longer means less job opportunities.

sure there are examples of people who get a job and manage fine but the stats speak for themselves, go and look at the teen unemployement rates of all developed countries.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Listen mate I'm fine, so I'm not bitching because of my own circumstances. However you're completely ****** ignorant of what's happening in the world if you think twenty year olds have the same opportunity and chances in life as their equivalent 30-40 years ago.

No final salary pension schemes - When I started working in 1995 I worked with plenty of guys in their early 50's who had worked for BR for 35 years, to a man they all retired with a 2/3 salary pension or more at 55. Most had houses in Florida or Spain. These guys weren't bosses or loaded with degrees, they started as apprentices and worked hard, that's it. Now people are lucky to get a defined contribution pension, which is basically skimmed every month to line the pockets of fund managers and totally dependent on the whims of someone else. No one, absolutely no twenty year old alive will retire on a 2/3 salary pension from paying in 5-6% of their annual salary.

University - Until a decade ago University was free in the UK. Now students can expect to finish with 40k of debt.

Houses - The average house is now at the highest multiple of average salary ever. So much so that as already discussed on this thread, a 30 year mortgage is deemed acceptable.

That's just three situations that exemplify what I'm talking about, there are more. People can't afford to retire, work longer means less job opportunities.

sure there are examples of people who get a job and manage fine but the stats speak for themselves, go and look at the teen unemployement rates of all developed countries.
Kudos to the above post bingobob777 - the most truthful and insightful post that I've read on here for a while. Absolutely spot on mate.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

NSWP will become famous soon enoughNSWP will become famous soon enough

Tell you one thing, the Pom retirees still get the UK pension plus their private pension. In OZ, no, I am 63 years young on a reasonable New South Wales Tax Free Police Pension, my wife is of Centrelink pension age - 65 and gets bugger all, because she lives with me, we are a couple of hundred dollars over the limit. Next year 2013 when I am 65 pension age, I will get bugger all Centrelink pension, although I paid taxes in OZ from 1966 to 2008. Australian Centrelink (Govt) pensions are means tested. UK, NZ, USA are not, so I believe.

So to answer the question, YES, many Aussie families on less than 100k a year. A factory worker only gets 40K, a new Police Constable gets 50k.

Not right. What say ye?

Standby for incoming.

Last edited by NSWP; Feb 6th 2012 at 7:29 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.