Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:12 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Hello. What's right or acceptable for you and your circumstances isn't necessarily the same for everyone else.
well said, and with a bit of luck said people will make some money on their house and be able to afford summit smaller and easier when retirement comes

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 1st 2012 at 4:55 am. Reason: Fixing quotes
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by mika24me
30 years is the standard mortgage length now in Australia, in the same way that 25 was in the UK. For our latest remortgage I wanted to reduce the term but our particular lender did not offer that, so instead we pay off extra every week and this should reduce our term to 20 years or less.
Ditto. The idea is that our 30-year term will be reduced down to 20 or less as we add in my wages (started a new job recently) as well as money saved on childcare when kids go to school. OH is also getting a better paid job so the difference will also go towards the mortgage.

Circumstances change, sometimes for the worse, but often for the better.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Hello. What's right or acceptable for you and your circumstances isn't necessarily the same for everyone else.

The reality for a lot of people is long-term mortgages to make repayments affordable. I would expect most people in this situation would hope their circumstances improve in the future to the extent they can remortgage. What are the chances that anyone taking out a 30-year mortgage now would stay with the same lender for the whole term, and not move house in those 30 years? Pretty unlikely I would say.
I was responding to a post that was asking for opinions on what people think about mortgage lengths. My opinion was that one should look to have paid off mortgage before retiring and not assume that early repayment will be possible. Anyway I can see my response has unintentionally caused some offence, perhaps somebody could report it and have it deleted. I will refrain from further comment.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bingobob777
And there are more expensive ones.
Yeah I know. Last year I read a piece in Sydney's Daily Telegraph about a child care centre in Sydney which charges $120 per day per child and there was a waiting list One mother, who had a high-flying job (naturally) had 3 children in care at the centre. She said it was cheaper than employing a nanny.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I was responding to a post that was asking for opinions on what people think about mortgage lengths. My opinion was that one should look to have paid off mortgage before retiring and not assume that early repayment will be possible. Anyway I can see my response has unintentionally caused some offence, perhaps somebody could report it and have it deleted. I will refrain from further comment.
You are entitled to your opinion and should not stop making comments. Every comment is useful as it makes posts far more interesting reading and often gives food for thought, whether we like to admit it or not.

I find the idea of a 30-year mortgage scary as well but flipping through the property sections of Perth's The West Australian and Sunday Times today I can see how people can end up with that sort of mortgage as property prices in good suburbs with good schools are astronomical.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Oh no, don't take offence, you just voiced your opinion where it was asked for and that's what BE is all about so you opinions is as valid as anybody elses
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
Yeah I know. Last year I read a piece in Sydney's Daily Telegraph about a child care centre in Sydney which charges $120 per day per child and there was a waiting list One mother, who had a high-flying job (naturally) had 3 children in care at the centre. She said it was cheaper than employing a nanny.
If she was a citizen or PR it probably was as she would get a large portion of that back from the govt in rebates. Still, $360 a day is a lot.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:39 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there was any offence, not to me anyway.

One of the things that difficult to gauge in online forums is the (perhaps unintentional) tone of your reply. I got just a hint of "know-it-all" or "smart-alec". Perhaps others did too.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by kips
I ask this question after reading some threads on BE and feeling like a distinct underachiever.

One poster, single bloke with no partner and kids, asked if he could live on $170,000 a year in Sydney, if he moved from London to Oz.

I was surprised by the number of posters who said it wasn't a lot of money !!! To me it's a king's ransom.

The more I read the thread the more depressed I got so gave up I think the replies were all from high fliers on mega bucks.

In another thread this week a poster commented earning $150,000 a year wasn't much. I would be jumping for joy if I earned half this.

My husband and I have been here 9 years and we have never earned anywhere near $170,000 a year between us, both working full-time.

I think the nearest we got was $140,000 one year and only because my husband did lots of extra shifts. He paid a huge amount in tax.

Despite all this I think we live a very comfortable life and that's with only my husband working at present. I'm looking for work. We have one child, aged 9.

We have always lived in a big new house (better than anything we could afford in the UK), have 2 cars, all the mod cons we need, eat out, go on holidays and every 2 years have been visiting family in the UK. However, I must admit the latter is getting increasing difficult because of the cost of living.

However, we've never lived in a city, only close to one as we cannot afford to, don't own credit cards, don't have private health insurance, or pay private school fees or own designer stuff.

So it got me thinking are there many families out there with 2, 3 or 4 kids surviving on less than $100,000 a year but still consider they have a good standard of living ? Or is this only possible with the help of the Family Tax Benefit system, especially if you live in a city like Perth or Sydney ?

To be honest we are on less than $100k per year, a couple, no kids, no mortgage - we rent. We live on the Gold Coast AND we are financially better off than we were in the UK. We earn more here than we did in the UK where we worked more hours (OH was doing 12 hour shifts and weekend work, just to make ends meet in UK).
Old Jan 31st 2012, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3

well said, and with a bit of luck said people will make some money on their house and be able to afford summit smaller and easier when retirement comes
Yep hopefully all these people in their 50's and 60's will make a nice big chunk of cash when they sell their house

That's exactly why everyone in their 20's thinks taking out a 30 year mortgage is a good option.

****** ridiculous, who in their right mind thinks it can carry on? If the 25 year old expects to make a nice big chunk of cash when he sells it means his children will be looking at 35 year mortgages.

and so on and so on.

Take it from me, house price rises continually above wage inflation are not sustainable.

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 1st 2012 at 4:56 am. Reason: Fixing quotes
Old Jan 31st 2012, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Yep hopefully all these people in their 50's and 60's will make a nice big chunk of cash when they sell their house

That's exactly why everyone in their 20's thinks taking out a 30 year mortgage is a good option.

****** ridiculous, who in their right mind thinks it can carry on? If the 25 year old expects to make a nice big chunk of cash when he sells it means his children will be looking at 35 year mortgages.

and so on and so on.

Take it from me, house price rises continually above wage inflation are not sustainable.

Having just witnessed it first hand in the UK I could not agree more

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 1st 2012 at 4:57 am. Reason: Fixing quotes
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

and so on and so on.

oh no look out ..... not the "will property in Australia crash" thread again

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 1st 2012 at 4:58 am. Reason: Fixing quotes
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

oh no look out ..... not the "will property in Australia crash" thread again
Not quite, the issue of 30 year mortgages has been raised, merely a follow on from that. House price growth not being able to constantly exceed wage growth hardly constitues a crash does it?

No doubt you own property and rather than accept reality choose to turn debate into bickering.

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 1st 2012 at 5:03 am. Reason: Fixing quotes
Old Feb 1st 2012, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite, the issue of 30 year mortgages has been raised, merely a follow on from that. House price growth not being able to constantly exceed wage growth hardly constitues a crash does it?

No doubt you own property and rather than accept reality choose to turn debate into bickering.
eh ... what you on about? No I don't own a house. Why would I want to pay $1700 a week in mortgage repayments when I can pay $750 in rent?
Old Feb 1st 2012, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beoz
eh ... what you on about? No I don't own a house. Why would I want to pay $1700 a week in mortgage repayments when I can pay $750 in rent?
Exactly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.