Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:01 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Gross income of 100k is a net income of what 70k or something?

Daycare for my youngest costs $410 a week or $21,320 a year alone

I have absolutely no idea how anyone paying rent/mortgage and kids in childcare could live on take home pay of 70k.
childcare is a kicker, especially if on a 457 and you don't get any rebate.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

I have absolutely no idea how anyone paying rent/mortgage and kids in childcare could live on take home pay of 70k.
Not having kids, I would imagine one purpose of putting a child in to care would be to allow one parent to work, but of course, the income that parent receives needs to be more than the cost of child care otherwise there's no point.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Gross income of 100k is a net income of what 70k or something?

Daycare for my youngest costs $410 a week or $21,320 a year alone

Crikey. $410 a week for one child. That's nearly my weekly wage after tax for my last part-time job - 20 hours a week.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
Crikey. $410 a week for one child. That's nearly my weekly wage after tax for my last part-time job - 20 hours a week.
And there are more expensive ones.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

WTF takes out a 30 year mortgage? Must be off their head.
I don't know - could be somebody in their forties who has teenage children, buys an "average" priced house, doesn't have much of a deposit and needs to make the repayments as low as possible?

Or perhaps a first time buyer who can manage to meet the repayments over 30 years but couldn't afford them over 20 years?

What length of mortgage would you reckon is best? Obviously the shortest length possible is the best in terms of interest and commitment, but I mean at what length would you put the cut-off point between "off your head" and "acceptable"? Just genuinely curious because I an pretty green when it comes to mortgage stuff
Old Jan 30th 2012, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
I don't know - could be somebody in their forties who has teenage children, buys an "average" priced house, doesn't have much of a deposit and needs to make the repayments as low as possible?

Or perhaps a first time buyer who can manage to meet the repayments over 30 years but couldn't afford them over 20 years?

What length of mortgage would you reckon is best? Obviously the shortest length possible is the best in terms of interest and commitment, but I mean at what length would you put the cut-off point between "off your head" and "acceptable"? Just genuinely curious because I an pretty green when it comes to mortgage stuff
30 years is a very long mortgage and most definitely not something to consider at age 40, I have never heard of anyone taking this long a mortgage in fact. For my first mortgage I took 25years and I believe that is quite standard and quite reasonable for the 26 year old me, all due to be paid off by the time I am 50ish. When I upgraded house, 12 years later I would have ideally liked to have kept within the original 25 years but it was a bit of a stretch to go for 13 years so we added on another 5 and went for 18 years.

You (general you) needs to try and reduce mortgage years as you get older. I don't know what we would do if we were to buy here now. I wouldn't move capital over so we would need to get a very big mortgage if we wanted to buy in Sydney. However I don't really want to get anything over 15 years and definitely would not go over 20 years now (at age 41). Perhaps we will rent long term in Sydney and buy somewhere else as investment / holiday home.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:06 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
30 years is a very long mortgage and most definitely not something to consider at age 40, I have never heard of anyone taking this long a mortgage in fact. For my first mortgage I took 25years and I believe that is quite standard and quite reasonable for the 26 year old me, all due to be paid off by the time I am 50ish. When I upgraded house, 12 years later I would have ideally liked to have kept within the original 25 years but it was a bit of a stretch to go for 13 years so we added on another 5 and went for 18 years.

You (general you) needs to try and reduce mortgage years as you get older. I don't know what we would do if we were to buy here now. I wouldn't move capital over so we would need to get a very big mortgage if we wanted to buy in Sydney. However I don't really want to get anything over 15 years and definitely would not go over 20 years now (at age 41). Perhaps we will rent long term in Sydney and buy somewhere else as investment / holiday home.
I'm with you there!!! Rent in a nice home/area and buy in an area of good rental but where you may not want to live long term.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

30 years is a very long mortgage and most definitely not something to consider at age 40, I have never heard of anyone taking this long a mortgage in fact.

You have now

Me and my ex took out a 30 year mortgage - he was 38 at the time. We did however pay an extra month payment per year to reduce the loan term faster - by the time I left we'd only 17 years left on it...after 3 of owning the mortgage.

I don't have a mortgage now though...not on my wage, that'd be stupid
Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine7

Planning to be paying a mortgage beyond retirement age is just plain daft.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:47 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Planning to be paying a mortgage beyond retirement age is just plain daft.
some people have no other choice
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ukecadet
some people have no other choice
That's what I was thinking, and also how I wouldn't like to be paying rent all through my retirement if I could help it.

Maybe a 30 year mortgage is the only way some people can get on the housing ladder.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:21 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

30 years is the standard mortgage length now in Australia, in the same way that 25 was in the UK. For our latest remortgage I wanted to reduce the term but our particular lender did not offer that, so instead we pay off extra every week and this should reduce our term to 20 years or less.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:57 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

30 years is a very long mortgage and most definitely not something to consider at age 40...
Hello. What's right or acceptable for you and your circumstances isn't necessarily the same for everyone else.

The reality for a lot of people is long-term mortgages to make repayments affordable. I would expect most people in this situation would hope their circumstances improve in the future to the extent they can remortgage. What are the chances that anyone taking out a 30-year mortgage now would stay with the same lender for the whole term, and not move house in those 30 years? Pretty unlikely I would say.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mika24me
30 years is the standard mortgage length now in Australia, in the same way that 25 was in the UK. For our latest remortgage I wanted to reduce the term but our particular lender did not offer that, so instead we pay off extra every week and this should reduce our term to 20 years or less.
so the youngsters get shafted by their parents generation again.

Another reason house prices will fall.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:05 am
Social Grenade Thrower

so the youngsters get shafted by their parents generation again.

Another reason house prices will fall.
oh if only they would!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.