Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any experiences with adhoc car hire?

Any experiences with adhoc car hire?

Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

AvronW is on a distinguished road
Default Any experiences with adhoc car hire?

I'm in Melbourne at the end of May to stamp-in and have a bit of a holiday and caught with deciding ahead of time to either plan a schedule or take a more adhoc approach. Specifically around when to need a car.

I want to do some exploration using a car, but suspect that the first few days I'll be jetlagged anough that I probably won't want to drive. Given we also don't know how much fun we'll actually be having, booking a car and scheduling certain dates may be premature or certainly imposed constraints on being flexible there.

How easy is it to get reasonably low priced car hire on a relatively short notice (assume 1-2 days notice) within Melbourne? Any lessons learned doign this?

Thanks,
Avron.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:46 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any experiences with adhoc car hire?

Originally posted by AvronW
I'm in Melbourne at the end of May to stamp-in and have a bit of a holiday and caught with deciding ahead of time to either plan a schedule or take a more adhoc approach. Specifically around when to need a car.

I want to do some exploration using a car, but suspect that the first few days I'll be jetlagged anough that I probably won't want to drive. Given we also don't know how much fun we'll actually be having, booking a car and scheduling certain dates may be premature or certainly imposed constraints on being flexible there.

How easy is it to get reasonably low priced car hire on a relatively short notice (assume 1-2 days notice) within Melbourne? Any lessons learned doign this?

Thanks,
Avron.
In Perth it was very easy. But the company we used there is only in Perth and Sydney.

I'm sure there's plenty of choice in Melbourne too though, being even bigger than Perth.

I'm quite sure you'll be fine, but if you want to be sure, what about looking some hire places up on internet and emailing them with this exact same question?

And hopefully someone in Melbourne can give some good advice!

Old Mar 16th 2004, 11:11 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any experiences with adhoc car hire?

Originally posted by AvronW

Thanks,
Avron.
We did this in Melbourne 4 years ago and Sydney when we first arrived for a few days - get the best price in the nearest rental place to where you are staying (to make it easy to pick up and leave back). Then go to the next nearest and try getting a better price - also check on web and quote these prices when trying to rent the car - if they do not need the business go on to the next place - some of it is a matter of luck, but you can get bargins esp if you only need a car for a few days and they have one not working. Some trips you might need a car, others a little jeep is fun. ad hoc rental might seem pricey for a couple of days but work out well when only needing a couple of days out of say a 14 day stay.

Do not be afraid to ask for a cheaper price - it pays your pocket!

If needing a car for longer consider buying and selling later?