Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any expats trained as Doctors in Australia?

Any expats trained as Doctors in Australia?

Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Any expats trained as Doctors in Australia?

I had a few questions about training as a doctor in Australia so just wondered if anyone had gone this route in Australia?

Cheers

Poppet
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any expats trained as Doctors in Australia?

Hi PoppetUK. I trained/qualified in Australia & later left Australia, completed the MRCP in the UK, now planning to head back to Australia to pick up where I left off - so, if you think you could tap into whatever little that's left in that puddle of porridge some call a brain between my ears, please feel free to ask away (PM or otherwise).

Cheers.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been toying with the idea of doing it on and off for the past few months. I'm thinking of sitting GAMSAT anyway and seeing how I go... I just wonder if 26 is too old (eek well probably 28 by the time I'd start the course) for such an intense career change.

What kind of things were you trying to find out?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Investigate the consequences of being an "overseas trained doctor" or "former overseas medical student" in terms of access to Medicare provider numbers, even if you manage to become an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

26 is not too old and the average is around this age for graduate medicine. Most people will be around your age and early 30s.
In fact Ive been reading that they often have a small number of students who are in their early 40s. You certainly will not be the oldest.

Go to this website as they have loads of info on how do well in Gamsat, applying,info on all med schools in OZ, and graduate medicine:

http://pagingdr.proboards.com/index.cgi?

You will need good grades from your degree, and degree must be less than 10yrs old.

Like I say Paging Dr has a ton of info on studying medicine, and most of them are on graduate med or now docs.

Gems
PS, paging dr is Australian website but also has international info.

Last edited by Gems; Jun 12th 2009 at 1:29 am.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, I'm going to look at the website now :-)

I'm also glad you don't feel I'm too old to start... I just feel like I've been studying since I left school and if I don't make my mind up soon I'll just float from degree to degree all my life!

I have a BA (Hons) 2:1 from the UK, and a Masters (GPA 6.something) from here... do you think that's high enough or are they looking for First Class Honours and 7.0 GPA?! BA is 5 years old and Masters just last year.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

A 2.1 is sufficient from what Ive read as long as its not older than 10yrs ago.
However think they usually want your degree rather than masters grades. But would be worth checking with the individual Unis.

You will not be able to work out your UK degree GPA, GAMSAT place will have to do it or the Unis. As Aus GPA system is different.

Gems
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

There is an excellent GAMSAT coaching course run out of Sydney (from memory). DS got through first time and used them but many people do GAMSAT more than once. Good luck!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tieve
Thanks for that, I'm going to look at the website now :-)

I'm also glad you don't feel I'm too old to start... I just feel like I've been studying since I left school and if I don't make my mind up soon I'll just float from degree to degree all my life!

I have a BA (Hons) 2:1 from the UK, and a Masters (GPA 6.something) from here... do you think that's high enough or are they looking for First Class Honours and 7.0 GPA?! BA is 5 years old and Masters just last year.
Best to ask them directly - each University may have different entry requirements.

And, at 26 - 28, you're just about the right age to start. Most of the young-uns fresh out of high school have excellent academic skills, but lack the 'human touch' and life experience. Would probably make excellent researchers, but be pretty limited in terms of being a doctor with empathy and compassion (I'm generalizing here, obviously).
Old Jun 12th 2009, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Ruskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant future

Newcastle medical school seems to have fair few mature medical students.
26 is the perfect age to study medicine IMHO. Its valuable to have had some life experience without being over the hill and loosing brain cells too rapdly. I entered medical school at the age of 18 with all emotional maturity of a turnip on speed
Old Jun 25th 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gems
Hi,

26 is not too old and the average is around this age for graduate medicine. Most people will be around your age and early 30s.
In fact Ive been reading that they often have a small number of students who are in their early 40s. You certainly will not be the oldest.

Go to this website as they have loads of info on how do well in Gamsat, applying,info on all med schools in OZ, and graduate medicine:

http://pagingdr.proboards.com/index.cgi?

You will need good grades from your degree, and degree must be less than 10yrs old.

Like I say Paging Dr has a ton of info on studying medicine, and most of them are on graduate med or now docs.

Gems
PS, paging dr is Australian website but also has international info.
Thanks for all the posts. I found the web link really useful and it answered a lot of our questions.

Thanks again.

Poppet