Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any expat surfers living on the Goldy????

Any expat surfers living on the Goldy????

Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

sean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nice
Default Any expat surfers living on the Goldy????

Any expat surfers out there living on the gold coast? I realy miss having people to talk to out there so if anybody would like to meet for a surf it would be great
Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:40 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any expat surfers living on the Goldy????

Originally Posted by sean trethewey
Any expat surfers out there living on the gold coast? I realy miss having people to talk to out there so if anybody would like to meet for a surf it would be great
Hi.

I haven't surfed in a while but I used to surf the North Devon, North Cornish and especially Southern Welsh breaks about 10 years ago. The trouble is that I was an inland surfer and my nearest break was Llangenith in South Wales (Gower) that smelt like a chemical cauldron most of the time. I lost count of the number of times that I drove for 2-3 hours only to find piss poor waves, so I drifted away from the sport.

This is one of the many reasons for me wanting to move to SE QLD and I'm actually off to the Nev shop/shapers factory tomorrow, in Miami (near Burleigh Heads/Surfers) to have a chat about getting mini mal as my Rusty thruster got a serious ding (in fact it's pretty trashed) on the nose when it was shipped here. I only discovered it last week. It's a good job it was insured as I've now got $750 to spend on a new board.

What I really like is the idea that I just need to wear a pair of surfers shorts and a "rashy" and not a 5mm wetsuit, which I need to piss in to keep warm....
Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

sean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nice

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hi.

I haven't surfed in a while but I used to surf the North Devon, North Cornish and especially Southern Welsh breaks about 10 years ago. The trouble is that I was an inland surfer and my nearest break was Llangenith in South Wales (Gower) that smelt like a chemical cauldron most of the time. I lost count of the number of times that I drove for 2-3 hours only to find piss poor waves, so I drifted away from the sport.

This is one of the many reasons for me wanting to move to SE QLD and I'm actually off to the Nev shop/shapers factory tomorrow, in Miami (near Burleigh Heads/Surfers) to have a chat about getting mini mal as my Rusty thruster got a serious ding (in fact it's pretty trashed) on the nose when it was shipped here. I only discovered it last week. It's a good job it was insured as I've now got $750 to spend on a new board.

What I really like is the idea that I just need to wear a pair of surfers shorts and a "rashy" and not a 5mm wetsuit, which I need to piss in to keep warm....
Lucky you a new board what a bargain, I live in Burleigh waters so maybe we could meet for a surf at burleigh, or if you live far away perhaps meet in the middle? Oh and love the water temp here and not having to armor up and piss in it is great!!!!!!!
Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you a new board what a bargain, I live in Burleigh waters so maybe we could meet for a surf at burleigh, or if you live far away perhaps meet in the middle? Oh and love the water temp here and not having to armor up and piss in it is great!!!!!!!
Don't surf but happy to come and watch if you're worth watching
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:08 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't surf but happy to come and watch if you're worth watching
Only if you want a really good laugh...I'll probably look more like I'm drowning than surfing...
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:09 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Yeah, that would be cool. I'm a week or so away from getting myself sorted but I'll PM you closer to the time....BTW, I really am crap....
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Only if you want a really good laugh...I'll probably look more like I'm drowning than surfing...
It's not about how good you look it's about enjoying it so when you get your board send me a PM and we can meet up. I wont take the piss honest
At least you have picked the best time of year to start again as the surf is pretty small at the moment but come December the Gold coast really fires up
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:18 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

It's not about how good you look it's about enjoying it so when you get your board send me a PM and we can meet up. I wont take the piss honest
At least you have picked the best time of year to start again as the surf is pretty small at the moment but come December the Gold coast really fires up
OK.

Been here long? Must be nice being walking distance from the beach?
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

OK.

Been here long? Must be nice being walking distance from the beach?
Been here been here 3 months now and we love it big time, yeah it's great being so close to the beach but like I said at the moment the surf is pretty pants so roll on December
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:30 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Been here been here 3 months now and we love it big time, yeah it's great being so close to the beach but like I said at the moment the surf is pretty pants so roll on December
Did you surf a lot in the UK? Plymouth's not a great break is it? I used to go to Sidmouth a lot and I can honestly never remember a great day. Apart from Dorset and southern Cornwall, does the South Coast work?
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Did you surf a lot in the UK? Plymouth's not a great break is it? I used to go to Sidmouth a lot and I can honestly never remember a great day. Apart from Dorset and southern Cornwall, does the South Coast work?
Yeah a fair bit but i'm no Kelly Slater I grew up in St Austell near newquay so it was only a short drive and the south coast was ok in the winter, I surfed witsands when i moved to Plymouth it was ok but compared to here no contest.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:53 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Yeah a fair bit but i'm no Kelly Slater I grew up in St Austell near newquay so it was only a short drive and the south coast was ok in the winter, I surfed witsands when i moved to Plymouth it was ok but compared to here no contest.
Do you surf every day here? Have you ever seen a shark? Are they a concern here?
Old Oct 7th 2006, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Do you surf every day here? Have you ever seen a shark? Are they a concern here?
No surfing every day would be great but the surf is just to small at the moment so I just go when it's good which is rare at this time of year here.
SHARKS :scared: To be honest yes I have seen two but they never came near me and I have been informed that I was very unlucky to see them as Burleigh is netted, so yes they are an issue here but not a serious one, you just need to be sensible. Dont let sharks put you off surfing put it that way.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

I love surfing and can't wait to get to Brissie next year. Gonna be moving over in July/August 2007 as Alex has to work til the end of the school year.
Surfing is the best sport in the whole world and I couldn't imagine giving it up. I'm injured at the moment and can't surf for about 5 weeks! :scared: :scared: :scared:
What are the waves like on the whole? My only experience was a messy day in April but the waves were pretty critical and I kept pearling the horrible hired 8 footer I was on.
I normally ride a 6'11" Rusty T2.
Gonna be back in booties and gloves by the time I get back in the water which sucks but at least it keeps the waves for the real hard-core surfers!
Oh and South Coast surfers rule!!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jon and alex
I love surfing and can't wait to get to Brissie next year. Gonna be moving over in July/August 2007 as Alex has to work til the end of the school year.
Surfing is the best sport in the whole world and I couldn't imagine giving it up. I'm injured at the moment and can't surf for about 5 weeks! :scared: :scared: :scared:
What are the waves like on the whole? My only experience was a messy day in April but the waves were pretty critical and I kept pearling the horrible hired 8 footer I was on.
I normally ride a 6'11" Rusty T2.
Gonna be back in booties and gloves by the time I get back in the water which sucks but at least it keeps the waves for the real hard-core surfers!
Oh and South Coast surfers rule!!
Hi bet you cant wait I was the same for 2 years before I got here, As you know Brisbane has no surf but a quick drive down to the Goldy and you're gonna be sorted, the Goldy is one of the top surfing areas in the world but regrettably isn't good all year round September and October are real bad months but the rest of the year is good especially December to may when the Goldy shows off big time with endless barrels and cyclone swells. My local break is Burleigh which is one of the best point breaks in the world so far it has been a bit pants but when it has been good it's just been barrel after barrel so when it's good it's fantastic, there are loads of great breaks around here like Snapper, Kirra, Duranbah, Currumbin and there just the points, there is also loads of uncrowded beach breaks just waiting to be surfed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.