Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Expat Gay couples out there?

Any Expat Gay couples out there?

Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:13 pm
icd
Just Joined

icd will become famous soon enough
Red face Any Expat Gay couples out there?

Myself and my partner are coming to Sydney on the 29th of Feb. to live for 3 yrs. I am very excited, just finished work here yesterday and am surrounded by boxes - bet most of you can relate to that.

I am a University Teacher and my partner is in commerce - we have been told that Sydney is a gay friendly city and has plenty of gay resources available to us. However we have never accessed the gay scene in London and I doubt we would do so in Sydney - we are more quiet or even conservative (with a small 'c') and like have a close circle of friends - gay or otherwise.

Are there any gay couples out there in the expat community? Would love to connect with you if there is ...

Ian
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:39 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Expat Gay couples out there?

Hi Ian, my GBF from the UK has lived in Sydney for 10 years. He's done the party scene (which is HUGE) to death but is now happily attached and settling down. Or is he just getting old?

Send me your email address and I'll forward it to him.

He's been trying to get me to move there for years; this could be the year.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:55 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by icd
Myself and my partner are coming to Sydney on the 29th of Feb. to live for 3 yrs. I am very excited, just finished work here yesterday and am surrounded by boxes - bet most of you can relate to that.

I am a University Teacher and my partner is in commerce - we have been told that Sydney is a gay friendly city and has plenty of gay resources available to us. However we have never accessed the gay scene in London and I doubt we would do so in Sydney - we are more quiet or even conservative (with a small 'c') and like have a close circle of friends - gay or otherwise.

Are there any gay couples out there in the expat community? Would love to connect with you if there is ...

Ian
Hi cant help you but just wanted to say goodluck with the move
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:14 am
icd
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Any Expat Gay couples out there?

Thank you both of you - yes I am excited and hope to meet some nice people in Sydney - lets hop they are as nice as you !

Thanks for your being so encouraging

Ian x

Last edited by Sue; Feb 8th 2008 at 10:58 am. Reason: email address removed for privacy
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian, we live on Sunshine Coast, not sure about the scene in Sydney myself, but my friend says it pretty cool & open minded. I used to be a regular in the village with my mates in Manchester, it was a right laugh and we always had the best time. I'm married now & got kids so the social life has stopped for now. (well the rockin side anyway)

I wish you the best of luck & hope you enjoy your new lives in Australia, its lovely.

S-j xxx

try this link may come in handy. x
www.galta.com.au
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

not that this will help you- moving to Sydney- but my best mate is gay and he and his partner love coming to Melbourne.
They do not like the scene these days (too old for all that lark- middle age creeps up!!!) but found Melbourne really friendly and easy going.
They are coming to stay with us again this year, with a view to applying for a visa.

Hope you like Sydney and settle well there.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:13 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My GBF was used to a fairly above-ground scene in Leeds, Manchester and London, but had a misererable year in Hong Kong before moving to Sydney (ten years ago it was pretty closet there, not sure it's any better now).

When he moved to Sydney he described it as "the end of the rainbow". Sounds pretty good to me.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by icd
Thank you both of you - yes I am excited and hope to meet some nice people in Sydney - lets hop they are as nice as you !

My email is xxxxxxx

Thanks for your being so encouraging

Ian x
Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum

Can't really help except to say you might just want to private message your e-mail to people and get a moderator to remove it from above, as you'll end up getting all kinds of spam
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:20 am
Auntie Fa

Agreed. I always put spaces in and replace the @ with AT and . with DOT too.

Details passed on to GBF, will PM you his name.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:35 pm
icd
Just Joined

That is great thanks seasider !

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian

Hope the move goes well. We have been here for three years with our two (UK) adopted children. Your more than welcome to give us a call when you get here.

Good luck.

Ian & Rob
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:45 am
icd
Just Joined

Ian,

Great name by the way !

Were thrilled to hear from you - yes will be in touch when we have recovered from our journey and hopefully we can grab a coffee or something. As we are having a very hard time leaving our many, nephews, nieces and godchildren here was happy to hear there may be a couple of kids who we might get to meet as well.

Thanks for making the connection ...

Ian
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:24 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
Hi Ian, we live on Sunshine Coast, not sure about the scene in Sydney myself, but my friend says it pretty cool & open minded. I used to be a regular in the village with my mates in Manchester, it was a right laugh and we always had the best time. I'm married now & got kids so the social life has stopped for now. (well the rockin side anyway)

I wish you the best of luck & hope you enjoy your new lives in Australia, its lovely.

S-j xxx

try this link may come in handy. x
www.galta.com.au
Yep and that friend would be me, hey babes.
S-j is right it is cool in Sydney and from what I have seen so far very gay friendly of course.
Give us a shout when you get here. We are 32 (hubby) & 34(me) and we have 2 Girls aged 13 & 10.

Good luck with your move hope it goes well.

Last edited by LisaD_uk; Feb 17th 2008 at 9:28 am.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:31 am
Auntie Fa

Ian, has my hopeless GBF emailed you yet? I sent him a reminder yesterday and he said he'd get right on it.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:08 am
Shandyw

shandyw will become famous soon enoughshandyw will become famous soon enough

Hi Ian

My Gf and I have recently moved to the New England area from Brighton. We're in a small rural area so its quite a change! We spent some time in Sydney on our way up and its gr8. Send me a message if you'll be doing any travelling up this way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.