Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Ex Pat Truck Drivers in OZ

Any Ex Pat Truck Drivers in OZ

Old Nov 27th 2005, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice
Default Re: Any Ex Pat Truck Drivers in OZ

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
Maybe we should start a thread for truckie widows !!!

I too am a truckie widow !!!

I came to Australia at end of August this year to live with my Aussie boyfriend who is a truck driver. He started a new job not long after we arrived in Oz - he drives an oil tanker and is often away for 4 or 5 days at a time. I must admit that it can be a bit daunting at times ... being in a new country away from friends and family is hard enough but having to stay at home while he is away driving can be quite difficult for both of us. I am hoping that once I find a job it will make being on my own at home a little easier. Despite that, I still love being in Australia and I love all that the country has to offer.

Wendy
Hi ya Wendy,

It can be difficult.........I have a part time job so that helps, the first time round I was left high and dry with 3 small kids! But the size of this country, we live in Ceduna and he drives to Perth and back every time, its a round trip of about 4,500 kms and having been with him a couple of times I understand just how tiring it is! I have a couple of friends in town that are also truckie widows so that helps, plus the money is fairly good, the weekends are the worst for me I find, today I washed not only my car but his as well! Just for something to do, he wont be in contact until late tomorrow as mobile phone coverage is non existant over the nullabor, I may if I'm lucky get a call from one of the roadhouses, but I dont usually........just have to get on with your life, clean house, pay bills, run after kids etc., etc., thinking of setting up a truckie widows web site 'cos there are a lot of us out here!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:46 am
Just Joined

truck driving man is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=uktruckie]The truck will be a topline Scania with a semi -automatic gearbox which should be fun.QUOTE]

I see they are Scania R-series tractor units, very posh.

I thought you was going to Iraq to drive a truck in the Convoy for the America's? :scared:
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:54 am
Finding a way out........

uktruckie is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=truck driving man]
Originally Posted by uktruckie
The truck will be a topline Scania with a semi -automatic gearbox which should be fun.QUOTE]

I see they are Scania R-series tractor units, very posh.

I thought you was going to Iraq to drive a truck in the Convoy for the America's? :scared:
Hello Truck Driving man, the company out in Iraq had lost the contract to transport the Tank's and supplies, but I was always in mind to go, my wife was not to happy about it but I was up for it.

This is the company who was recruiting

I just wanted something different not the normal of going to RDC sleeping for a couple of hours until they off loaded me and then wait for 1 or 2 hours for the paperwork. Tesco should be Ashamed of themselves.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

Originally Posted by uktruckie
Hello All,

My first post on this forum.

I'm a UK Truck driver looking for a company to sponser me in Australia.

I have made a few contacts in Australia and in the UK who deal with trucking firms. I have found trucking firms recruiting Polish drivers to work in Ozz, but still a lot of red tape for British Drivers.

What I'm wondering is there any ex-pat truck drivers who are driving for Australian companies on a HC licence.

If so what experiances have you had?
Hi UKTruckie,

It is possible to get a temporary 4 year work visa as a truck driver but you will need to be sponsored and you will have to work and live in a regional area.This could eventually lead to a permanent visa when you have lived and worked in the position in a regional area for at least 2 years. There is a migration agent that is currently recruiting drivers from the Uk to move to Oz on this type of visa. We are already here on a different visa but hubby is a truck driver and is hoping to get a regional sponsored job. If you want any further info send me a PM.

Tracy
Old Dec 14th 2005, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by TracyAnne
Hi UKTruckie,

It is possible to get a temporary 4 year work visa as a truck driver but you will need to be sponsored and you will have to work and live in a regional area.This could eventually lead to a permanent visa when you have lived and worked in the position in a regional area for at least 2 years. There is a migration agent that is currently recruiting drivers from the Uk to move to Oz on this type of visa. We are already here on a different visa but hubby is a truck driver and is hoping to get a regional sponsored job. If you want any further info send me a PM.

Tracy
Hello Tracy, I have PM you, any help and information will be great. Roly
Old Dec 30th 2005, 11:26 am

Hello All,

I'm still here and still looking, not given up hope yet.

We have taken our house of the market and will place it back on in Feb, see if we provoke fait.

Roly