Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any ex-pat town planners out there

any ex-pat town planners out there

Old Nov 25th 2003, 4:28 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any ex-pat town planners out there

hello everyone. i have been pointed in the direction of this website by a friend who has successfully managed to get her PR visa. i am begining to investigate undertaking the same and am particularly interested to hear from anyone that has done it who works in property or the town planning profession.

having taken one of the online tests looking at the points total i am slightly under the 115 mark (105) and need to be reassured that this doesnt mean the end of my dream of living and working in austrailia.

so any helpful hints or pointers would be greatly apprecaited.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 7:30 am
What's he asking?

ok so no town planners around so next tact is can any of you point me in the direction of city council's that provide town planning services. preferably in central melbourne. if you can give me a web address or email addy it would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
ok so no town planners around so next tact is can any of you point me in the direction of city council's that provide town planning services. preferably in central melbourne. if you can give me a web address or email addy it would be much appreciated.
If you don't have enough points to pass the points test independently, your options for getting a PR visa are to be sponsored by a family member, sponsored by an Employer or sponsored under the STNI scheme. This scheme allows States and Territories to sponsor people whose professions are listed on their "Skills Shortage" lists.

I have a very good friend who is a Town Planner and I recently looked into this for him in some detail. Victoria currently has Town Planners listed on their "Skills Shortage" list for both rural and metropolitan Victoria and there appear to be lots of jobs for Planners in Victoria (although generally low level). So I would think that your best bet would be to apply to be sponsored by the State of Victoria under the STNI scheme and if successful put in your application for a PR visa on that basis.

Sponsorship by Victoria would not give you a job, you would still need to find one yourself once you got here, and you would have to work in Victoria for at least 2 years.

You are very unlikely to find a City or rural council who would be willing to act as an Employer Sponsor for you. It's something they just don't do being quasi government organisations.

To find out how to apply for on the Victorian STNI scheme go to
www.migration.vic.gov.au

Good luck.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:45 pm
What's he asking?

thanks for that sunlover. pm on its way to you.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
thanks for that sunlover. pm on its way to you.
Happy to help. Have replied to your PM.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

I am a town planner but am in NZ - somewhat unhelpfully!