Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any equivalent to uk isa in oz?

any equivalent to uk isa in oz?

Old May 12th 2007, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

paleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nice
Default any equivalent to uk isa in oz?

I have an ISA and trying to decide whether or not to keep it in the uk.

What have others done?
Is there an equivalent to the uk isa in oz or any other tax free savings a/cs anyone knows of?

Many thanks
Old May 12th 2007, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of
Default Re: any equivalent to uk isa in oz?

I could do with the answer to this one to!

Chris.
Old May 12th 2007, 6:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paleface
You've asked on the wrong forum, incidentally (this forum is for immigration questions, so you won't get many responses). Short answer is no, and your UK ISA will be taxable in Australia.
Old May 12th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

paleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nice

sorry for asking in wrong forum and thanks for reply
Old May 13th 2007, 1:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for asking in wrong forum and thanks for reply
I'll move you, don't worry
Old May 13th 2007, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same issue with my ISA - it's quite healthy, with several years' allowance in it. I don't want to move it at the moment, as our move to Oz is new and if we end up back in the UK I would want my ISA.
But is is annoying that the whole point of the ISA is that it's tax-free, but the aussie govt will tax you on the interest anyway!
In the short term, it makes more sense to have the money here (in Aus) where the interest rates are higher. But then they will tax you on the interest. But then if you are honest you will also get taxed on the lower rate of interest on your UK ISA. It sucks!
Basically I think if you are going to want the money in Australia, or if you have made a decision to definitely not go back to the UK, then there is no point in keeping an ISA. Financially it makes no sense - unless you want to keep open the option of returning to the UK and having your money in a great tax-free wrapper. Whilst you're in Australia, an ISA is not the best place to have your money.
Once I've done some research I will probably move my ISA money to a high interest account here in Australia - once I've paid tax on it, it probably won't be all that different to getting a lower rate tax-free in the UK. And if I can get a good exchange rate (and I won't move the money at a bad rate) then I might even make money in the future by changing it back at an advantageous rate.
It's complicated though, no doubt about that!!
Old May 13th 2007, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Yep I agree. As soon as exchange rates start to look a bit better my ISA will be winging its way over to aus too
Old May 13th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
But is is annoying that the whole point of the ISA is that it's tax-free, but the aussie govt will tax you on the interest anyway!
I don't understand why you say it's annoying as the whole point of an ISA is that it's tax free. Well yes - it is tax free for a UK resident - but you're making the choice to be in Oz where you have to abide by different rules.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
I don't understand why you say it's annoying as the whole point of an ISA is that it's tax free. Well yes - it is tax free for a UK resident - but you're making the choice to be in Oz where you have to abide by different rules.
Aren't I allowed to be annoyed by having to pay tax?! Sorry if it offends your sensibilities, but I reserve my right to be annoyed!
Old May 13th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

What have others done?
Is there an equivalent to the uk isa in oz or any other tax free savings a/cs anyone knows of?

Many thanks
The ISA is a limited savings vehicle. You would save through the superannuation system in OZ,you can salary sacrifice $50,000 a year into it ,depending on age.This is taxed at 15% going in.

The growth on it is taxed at 15%,but dividend imputation (company tax paid by franked shares) virtually wipes out any tax on it,depending on the asset mix ,it can produce a tax rebate for your super fund.

At age 60 it can be drawn out tax free,at age 55 you can draw out approx $145,000 tax free.

They change the rules regularly.

Try putting insurance bonds into google,I think they are tax free after 10 yrs but not sure,everything is geared towards the super system.
Old May 14th 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

jaj - i need your wisdom again pse (or anyone else)
if my oh entering oz on a 461 and i am a non-eligible nz'er would the temporary visa tax laws apply to me as well as oh and therefore better for us to maintain isas in uk?
many thanks