Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any encounters of the Creepy Crawly kind?

Any encounters of the Creepy Crawly kind?

Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice
Default Any encounters of the Creepy Crawly kind?

I was just wondering if anyone has any stories to tell of their encounters with the insect world in Aus.

I've had a big cockroach run up my leg inside my jeans, a big locust got it's spiky legs caught in my tights while I was wearing them and couldn't jump off, and a big hairy spider crawled off the curtains I was carrying onto my back. (that was all in South Africa). In the UK I've had little worms drop from trees into my hair and a BIG harmless house spider crawl unnoticed onto my head from the couch while TV then onto my hand when I brushed my hair out of my face. I looked down and nearly had a heart attack! I found another BIG harmless UK spider in my bed when I was making one morning which I must have slept with.

I'm expecting to swallow loads of flies in summer when we eventually get to Perth. What else do I need to get mentally prepare for?
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:40 pm
BLC

Default Re: Any encounters of the Creepy Crawly kind?

Originally Posted by rossfive5
I was just wondering if anyone has any stories to tell of their encounters with the insect world in Aus.

I've had a big cockroach run up my leg inside my jeans, a big locust got it's spiky legs caught in my tights while I was wearing them and couldn't jump off, and a big hairy spider crawled off the curtains I was carrying onto my back. (that was all in South Africa). In the UK I've had little worms drop from trees into my hair and a BIG harmless house spider crawl unnoticed onto my head from the couch while TV then onto my hand when I brushed my hair out of my face. I looked down and nearly had a heart attack! I found another BIG harmless UK spider in my bed when I was making one morning which I must have slept with.

I'm expecting to swallow loads of flies in summer when we eventually get to Perth. What else do I need to get mentally prepare for?
Love Huntsman spiders . . . no contact lenses/glasses on (making me slightly blind), chilling on the sofa and you can still see this chunky size Mother of a spider run across your wall :scared: :scared:

Old Aug 15th 2005, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

As long as they stay on the wall and don't decide to wander over to where I am, that's fine. I'll just get my poor hubby to GET IT OUT!!!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 6:38 pm
BLC

As long as they stay on the wall and don't decide to wander over to where I am, that's fine. I'll just get my poor hubby to GET IT OUT!!!
Stabbing them with a Bic pen does the trick . . this was demonstrated by a Ozzie colleague at work . . . not sure if I have the guts to try at home, too busy running for the door.

B :scared:

Old Aug 15th 2005, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BLC
Love Huntsman spiders . . . no contact lenses/glasses on (making me slightly blind), chilling on the sofa and you can still see this chunky size Mother of a spider run across your wall :scared: :scared:
Whilst on holiday at my uncles one got stuck between the fly screen and the patio door, near messed me self thought it was a face hugger from the film alien :scared:
Old Aug 15th 2005, 7:23 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Wow! That's loads of experiences :scared: I think I'll move next door to you, that way they'll be so busy with you they'll be leaving me alone
Old Aug 15th 2005, 7:40 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

{Message to self}.....do not live within a mile of rossfive5!!! :scared:

D D
Old Aug 15th 2005, 7:43 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
{Message to self}.....do not live within a mile of rossfive5!!! :scared:

D D

You can't help opening these Bug threads can you.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=DollyDaydream]{Message to self}.....do not live within a mile of rossfive5!!! :scared:

they do seem to like me for some reason, must be unlucky. Did I mention the small tick between my toes
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I was stung on the thumb by a tiny little scorpion when living in Victoria. My thumb grew to twice its normal size - & it bloody well hurt!!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 9:47 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

:scared:

Spiders, Spiders and even more spiders!! :scared: On a wee wander we had in the Kelvin Grove area of Brisbane we came across a flyover that we had to cross (if we wanted to get anywhere). On my way across I started to notice how all the railings had Big Nests and there were umpteen spiders of all shapes and sizes. Hubby who doesn't mind them even said they were big!

Got to the other side in one piece only to realise that we were going in the wrong direction and had to turn back! ARGHHHHHH!

So we're going back for more...

Cheers
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Husband and I both panicked when we found a HUGE huntsman on top of a cupboard. :scared: It was ridiculous the panic we went in, when trying to retrieve it without either of us touching it. (Half a milk carton worked well!)

Third one in the house this year- never seen one in the previous 4 winters!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

While driving my car to Maccas one lunchtime a huge huntsman as big as my hand ran across my windscreen from the bonnet too the roof. I swear that he winked at me as he went by. I just froze and didnt even think to flick on the windscreen wipers. Wasnt sure if i was seeing things, but driving home 2 nights later along Cleveland street same thing happened :scared: Had to build up the courage to get out the car when i got home in case he was waiting on the roof to ambush me, they can jump you know its just as well he was on the outside of the car!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Our house had loads of roaches (it had been empty for 3 weeks before we moved in) and after I 'bombed' the place it was like a scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom- I must have filled a whole bucket with roaches.

I had a big Huntsman drop on my head whilst sitting out a friends house and we've had a few in the house which either get 'thonged' or the cat eats them. Swallowed 2 flies at the beach one day (I really must learn to keep my mouth shut!) and you kinda get used to having a cloud of 'em around you for most of the summer (a bit like Pig Pen in Charlie Brown )

Seen a couple of red bellied black snakes out in the bush, but they're not too dangerous and you just leave 'em alone. Seen plenty of Funnel-Webs too.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu.E
Seen plenty of Funnel-Webs too.
I've lived in Sydney for nearly 26 years and have never set eyes on a funnel-web. They're not that easy to find, considering they live in holes in the ground and only come out to breed in January.

Do you live in Castle Hill? Or do you dig a lot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.