Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Electricians working in Brisbane area?

Any Electricians working in Brisbane area?

Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:38 am
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road
Default Any Electricians working in Brisbane area?

Hi

We're hoping to be going over as PRs in about 6 months. Gaz (Husband) is an electrician and will be looking for work in the Brisbane area. For the last 2 years he has done mostly test & inspection work and would prefer that sort of work to say domestic/commercial rewires or site work.

Has anyone here had any experience of moving Uk to Oz (Brisbane area) to do this sort of work? If so, can you give an idea of how the job searching went? Was it easy to find Test & Inspection work? Is the pay any good? What was the process re. obtaining a license, trade tests, etc?

Thanks for any info anyone can give
Rach
Old Nov 29th 2004, 1:58 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any Electricians working in Brisbane area?

Originally Posted by Gaz&Rach
Hi

We're hoping to be going over as PRs in about 6 months. Gaz (Husband) is an electrician and will be looking for work in the Brisbane area. For the last 2 years he has done mostly test & inspection work and would prefer that sort of work to say domestic/commercial rewires or site work.

Has anyone here had any experience of moving Uk to Oz (Brisbane area) to do this sort of work? If so, can you give an idea of how the job searching went? Was it easy to find Test & Inspection work? Is the pay any good? What was the process re. obtaining a license, trade tests, etc?

Rach
Hi there. Ive been in Brisbane now for 11 weeks and i am just starting out to get my full licence after 1stly getting my temp licence. Its a very long process and a pain in the ar#e. Its all paper work.
Regarding jobs- In the courier mail every wed and sat there are around 40 to 60 posts for various types of electrical work inc testing and inspection(ive done the C&G 2391). The 1st one i phoned offered me a job and im only working as a trades assistant until i get my full licence. They pay me $20 an hour which is crap, but you have to start somewhere.Once a full licence is obtained they pay anything between $25 and $40 an hour depending where you go.
I`m going to work for a year then set up on my own. There is loads of work for sparkys around here and most expats prefer british sparks to the ozzy ones(based on the people i`ve met so far).
Hope this is of any help and PM me if i can answer anything else.
Darren
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived in June did'nt look for work till July and was lucky enough to get a job straight away on a full elect. rate. I Have now got a temp permit that is valid for a yr. and have contacted the local TAFFE, they informed me I need to take a 2hr theory exam plus a practical, the practical exam can be done at your work place. I am in the process of looking for an easier way to do things.

Terry
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:31 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Terry
We arrived in June did'nt look for work till July and was lucky enough to get a job straight away on a full elect. rate. I Have now got a temp permit that is valid for a yr. and have contacted the local TAFFE, they informed me I need to take a 2hr theory exam plus a practical, the practical exam can be done at your work place. I am in the process of looking for an easier way to do things.

Terry

Let me know if you find an easier way, as i find the thought of doing exams dreadful.I crack up under pressure.
Im in process of getting in touch with Mount Gravvat Tafe.
You were lucky to get full rate . I`m only on $20 an hour as a `trades assisstant`
Good luck

Darren
Old Nov 30th 2004, 9:49 pm
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Originally Posted by leannefr
Hi there. Ive been in Brisbane now for 11 weeks and i am just starting out to get my full licence after 1stly getting my temp licence. Its a very long process and a pain in the ar#e. Its all paper work.
Regarding jobs- In the courier mail every wed and sat there are around 40 to 60 posts for various types of electrical work inc testing and inspection(ive done the C&G 2391). The 1st one i phoned offered me a job and im only working as a trades assistant until i get my full licence. They pay me $20 an hour which is crap, but you have to start somewhere.Once a full licence is obtained they pay anything between $25 and $40 an hour depending where you go.
I`m going to work for a year then set up on my own. There is loads of work for sparkys around here and most expats prefer british sparks to the ozzy ones(based on the people i`ve met so far).
Hope this is of any help and PM me if i can answer anything else.
Darren
Hi Darren

Thanks for the info. A family friend who lives near brisbane sent us a copy of the courier mail a while back. I was a bit concerned about the low paid electricians jobs but, like you said, you have to start somewhere. It's just going to be difficult for Gaz to take a low paid job after 10 years of building up a career and changing jobs every year or two in order to get a better paid one. He's finally at a level where he's comfortable with the rate he gets paid and now it seems he will have to start all over again. But at least we'll be in the sun.

Cheers
Rach
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Rach
Hi

Just read your post with interest - we have been looking at various placesto emigrate to and Brisbane has taken our fancy as of today! Hubby (Ashley) is also an Electrician (domestic/commercial/computers/telecoms) and for the past 10+ years he has been self employed so we're not sure what path to take re work for him - do we come over and he find employment with someone on low pay or immediately try and go it alone (if thats a possible option by Oz law )

Anyhow, I wish you well in your endevours to get everything sorted out. I'd love to hear how you are getting on.

Regards
Kari
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:45 pm
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Hi

Just read your post with interest - we have been looking at various placesto emigrate to and Brisbane has taken our fancy as of today! Hubby (Ashley) is also an Electrician (domestic/commercial/computers/telecoms) and for the past 10+ years he has been self employed so we're not sure what path to take re work for him - do we come over and he find employment with someone on low pay or immediately try and go it alone (if thats a possible option by Oz law )

Anyhow, I wish you well in your endevours to get everything sorted out. I'd love to hear how you are getting on.

Regards
Kari
Hi Kari

Well the story so far is that we're still awaiting the medicals request from DIMIA but have booked medicals for 1st March. Hopefully we'll have our visas by some time in April and go over around June/July. Gaz is gonna apply for his electrician's license as soon as we get there and just try to get some work through an agency (any electrical work within reason) to start with and gain experience of the ozzy way. We'll just play it by ear after that. I'll carry on posting on here when we get there so watch this space for an update!

Rachel
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Kari

Well the story so far is that we're still awaiting the medicals request from DIMIA but have booked medicals for 1st March. Hopefully we'll have our visas by some time in April and go over around June/July. Gaz is gonna apply for his electrician's license as soon as we get there and just try to get some work through an agency (any electrical work within reason) to start with and gain experience of the ozzy way. We'll just play it by ear after that. I'll carry on posting on here when we get there so watch this space for an update!

Rachel
Ooo, its very exciting Rach, fingers & all else crossed for the big move

I'd really appreciate all/any information re. elect work and how your finding the Brisbane area so thanks for offering to add updates.

Out of interest, do you have kids to find schools for - if so, any words of wisdom regarding this matter?

Regs
Kari
Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:08 pm
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Ooo, its very exciting Rach, fingers & all else crossed for the big move

I'd really appreciate all/any information re. elect work and how your finding the Brisbane area so thanks for offering to add updates.

Out of interest, do you have kids to find schools for - if so, any words of wisdom regarding this matter?

Regs
Kari

2 kids aged 3 and 14, both boys. Best place to get info on specific schools or just the system in general is on this forum from people who have been there and are doing that. There's lots of really nice, helpful people on here who will tell you what they know or point you in the right direction for what they don't know. If you want to know anything specific I'll help if I can.

Rach
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

2 kids aged 3 and 14, both boys. Best place to get info on specific schools or just the system in general is on this forum from people who have been there and are doing that. There's lots of really nice, helpful people on here who will tell you what they know or point you in the right direction for what they don't know. If you want to know anything specific I'll help if I can.

Rach

Thanks.

Came across this link while surfing, very useful info, you've probably seen it already(?) but just in case ... http://www.ourbrisbane.com/

Regs
Kari
Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi

Regards
Kari
My advice would be to take whatever work is available immediately, even if low paid, just to gain the all important "Australlian work Experience". After that, you can work up again, and then go self employed when you feel that the time is right.

If you wait for the "perfect job position", you may wait a long time, as most employers do like to see at least some Australian experience.

Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My advice would be to take whatever work is available immediately, even if low paid, just to gain the all important "Australlian work Experience". After that, you can work up again, and then go self employed when you feel that the time is right.

If you wait for the "perfect job position", you may wait a long time, as most employers do like to see at least some Australian experience.

Thanks - it will feel so alien working for someone when for so long I've only had to suit myself but needs must at the end of the day I guess

Ashley
Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Thanks - it will feel so alien working for someone when for so long I've only had to suit myself but needs must at the end of the day I guess

Ashley
I know what you mean. I've been self employed for most of my life, but working for someone else for a short while was very different.

Good luck with everything

Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I know what you mean. I've been self employed for most of my life, but working for someone else for a short while was very different.

Good luck with everything

cheers!

New life, new experiences.. bring it on