Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any doctors - Low Bood Pressure

Any doctors - Low Bood Pressure

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any doctors - Low Bood Pressure

Hate to mention it, bit smoking pot can lower blood pressure and my daughter faints now and then, last few times when stoned.

She's currently studying and given up and been fine since ... but just thought I'd mention, you never know!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Vomiting and passing blood is a serious indication - unless it can be positively explained get to hospital immediately. The low BP might be a symptom of whatever is causing this.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the replies, it helps me to get an insight into what it could be.

PaulandNic,Hi.
He has always been against smoking from an early age as he watched his nan (my mum) smoke for years and being on oxygen tanks for breathing before dying of the condition.
He was diagnosed with a hole in the heart at 9 mths old which gradually closed up and got the all clear, so he likes to keep fit and healthy.
They did a cardiac reading at the hospital and that came back fine.

Hi TiddlyPom.
Some very good issues in there thank you.
Booked an appointment for the doctors for tomorrow afternoon, and i have mentioned the thyroid to him so he will get it checked ( it had not crossed my mind).
He has previously had blood in his urine and by your reply it occurred to me that we do have kidney conditions in the family as my sister has had a kidney transplant.
Should i get him to ask the doctor to check for that, what would they do? Probably just a urine sample.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:59 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Thank you all for the replies, it helps me to get an insight into what it could be.

PaulandNic,Hi.
He has always been against smoking from an early age as he watched his nan (my mum) smoke for years and being on oxygen tanks for breathing before dying of the condition.
He was diagnosed with a hole in the heart at 9 mths old which gradually closed up and got the all clear, so he likes to keep fit and healthy.

Hi TiddlyPom.
Some very good issues in there thank you.
Booked an appointment for the doctors for tomorrow afternoon, and i have mentioned the thyroid to him so he will get it checked ( it had not crossed my mind).
He has previously had blood in his urine and by your reply it occurred to me that we do have kidney conditions in the family as my sister has had a kidney transplant.
Should i get him to ask the doctor to check for that, what would they do? Probably just a urine sample.
Urine and full blood count would be a start.
Hospital should really have done that I think. Just my opinion.
Go well. xxx
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

He needs to mention anything and everything. His gym work, diet, shakes, all family histories etc etc. I know he's 21 but can you go with him? Two heads being better than one for both asking questions and remembering the answers.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Urine and full blood count would be a start.
Hospital should really have done that I think. Just my opinion.
Go well. xxx
They probably did do that in hospital, other wise they would not have sent him home. But they don't really tell you a lot, just the basics to him when discharging.
It was late at night and very full of patients.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
He needs to mention anything and everything. His gym work, diet, shakes, all family histories etc etc. I know he's 21 but can you go with him? Two heads being better than one for both asking questions and remembering the answers.
We were both in the hospital with him when they came to tell him the results, but they took him to one side and wouldn't let us with him.came out to us after said he can go home now and if it happens again go to his GP.
He is at an age of an adult now and everything is in the privacy act.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:45 pm
ABCDiamond

All he needs do is give them permission, and they should then be able to talk to you.

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
All he needs do is give them permission, and they should then be able to talk to you.
and surely if he is talking to the medical staff and says he wants you there to listen they cannot refuse?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

PaulandNic,Hi.
Ok I hear you, but as I say you never know.

Good luck with getting to the bottom of tho ...
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Ok I hear you, but as I say you never know.

Good luck with getting to the bottom of tho ...
Would they have not picked it up in the blood tests at the hospital.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

In a toxicology test yes, but these aren't done routinely, and the patient usually has to consent to this being done.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:38 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

They probably did do that in hospital, other wise they would not have sent him home. But they don't really tell you a lot, just the basics to him when discharging.
It was late at night and very full of patients.
You say that but my experience of being in hospital recently was quite the opposite and only when I insisted I didn't have gastro did they reluctantly do any sort of bloods, which came back 'negative' ... Two days later, appendix out.
So sometimes, you just never know. Esp if it was full and busy. Good to check as those should have gone to his GP.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We were both in the hospital with him when they came to tell him the results, but they took him to one side and wouldn't let us with him.came out to us after said he can go home now and if it happens again go to his GP.
He simply has to tell whoever that he wants someone else with him. It's his decision what's private and what's not, not theirs. It's his information.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

People with kidney problems (not saying your son is one of them) usually have to have their protein intake restricted. These high protein shakes might not be a good idea until he has been thoroughly checked out for kidney function.

I have also heard that the protein drinks - body building ones - are not necessary for building muscle, cost a lot and can be heavily promoted by gyms and health food shops.