Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ANY DIRECT FLIGHTS TO CAIRNS FROM U.K?

ANY DIRECT FLIGHTS TO CAIRNS FROM U.K?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold
Default ANY DIRECT FLIGHTS TO CAIRNS FROM U.K?

Are there any direct flights to Cairns from the U.K?
I am guessing not having looked at Emirates and Singapore Airlines website.
I believe I have to fly in to Brisbane and then onto Cairns.
if I have 50kg baggage allowance from Emirates (Moving Planet deal) will I be able to take 50kg on to Virgin Blue flight from Brisbane to Cairns without any charges??
Of course, if they ask me any questions by then I will be totally out of it as the flight kills me!!! Tookme 4 days to recover last time. First time I have ever fallen asleep in a pub at a table..after only one pint!

It's the connecting flight I am worried about baggage wise.
Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:48 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANY DIRECT FLIGHTS TO CAIRNS FROM U.K?

Cathay fly Cairns > HK > LHR on 3 days of the week. The other 4 its Cairns > BNE >HK > LHR. Something to do with operational timetable reasons.

No airline flys directly from the UK to Australia and wont since refuelling midair is prohibitively expensive
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

My husband did the cathay one to hong kong then cairns, definately take a look. Also think we did it on singapore airlines another year.
No idea on the baggage but my guess would be you'd get charged big time
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
My husband did the cathay one to hong kong then cairns, definately take a look. Also think we did it on singapore airlines another year.
Found out about baggage. if you look on Emirates website there is no charge for excessbaggage i Australia..only when gong out of with Virgin Blue...so may be worth the hassle of having to get connecting flight as one way flight £540 which I thought was good.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008

Did he do return or single trip..just wondering on the cost?
Liz
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:05 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Are there any direct flights to Cairns from the U.K?
I am guessing not having looked at Emirates and Singapore Airlines website.
I believe I have to fly in to Brisbane and then onto Cairns.
if I have 50kg baggage allowance from Emirates (Moving Planet deal) will I be able to take 50kg on to Virgin Blue flight from Brisbane to Cairns without any charges??
Of course, if they ask me any questions by then I will be totally out of it as the flight kills me!!! Tookme 4 days to recover last time. First time I have ever fallen asleep in a pub at a table..after only one pint!

It's the connecting flight I am worried about baggage wise.
Thanks
we travelled with Jetstar on our internal flight...thjey were fantastic, we just explained that we were emigrating and she said no worries, there wont be a charge...welcome to Australia and enjoy your new life
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:00 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by biggy
we travelled with Jetstar on our internal flight...thjey were fantastic, we just explained that we were emigrating and she said no worries, there wont be a charge...welcome to Australia and enjoy your new life
JAL/Qantas fly through Cairns on Tokyo, and then it is possible to pick up a flight elsewhere in Europe. I've caught it a few times. Think it's classed as a 'holiday route', so seem to use the oldest plane in the fleet.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:49 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong.

JAL via Tokyo.

Qantas via Singapore where Jetstar take over. Refuel at Darwin.
(Think BA do some of their LHR to SIN legs)

There is possibly an Air New Zealand flight via LA and Auckland too.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:46 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

of all the options into Cairns I would probably recommend the Cathay Pacific flight that gets in at 0900.
after that the Air New Zealand flight has the advantage of better luggage allowances.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Did he do return or single trip..just wondering on the cost?
Liz
Hi Liz,
It was return, but also included flight to Sydney, it was about 7yrs ago now so we can't remember the price!!! Scary how time flies! Definately Cathay though and he's sure we;ve done it together as well and I've only flown BA and Singapore over there. We always use Trailfinders to book our trips even for flights only, they are fantastic, might be worth a call to see what options and costs they have?
Catherine