Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Customs Officers out there???

Any Customs Officers out there???

Old Jul 5th 2004, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

keawyed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Customs Officers out there???

Is being a fully trained Anti-Smuggling Customs Officer at a major UK Airport considered "skilled"?
Has anyone else in my profession applied to emigrate to Oz?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, I have heard whispers about Oz lowering the pass mark in the lesser popular states.
Is this true?
Can you point me to any threads where I can read up more?

Many thanks in advance,

Craig
Old Jul 5th 2004, 10:30 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Customs Officers out there???

Originally posted by keawyed
Is being a fully trained Anti-Smuggling Customs Officer at a major UK Airport considered "skilled"?

Also, I have heard whispers about Oz lowering the pass mark in the lesser popular states.
Is this true?

Many thanks in advance,

Craig
Can't help on the profession.

There's a new visa with a lower pass mark(110 points), since 1 July.
Skilled Indendent Regional.

It's for the

Read about it in the immigration forum (a few threads on the first page alone), look out for the SIR.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...?s=&forumid=32
And see DIMIA's website here:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/sir.htm
Introduction
The Skilled–Independent Regional (Provisional) (SIR) visa is for skilled people who wish to live and work in a regional or low population growth area in Australia.

The visa was developed in consultation with state and territory governments and is designed to assist regional areas attract, and retain, skilled migrants to fill skill shortages, boost development in regional communities, and counter the population decline in rural areas.

The SIR (Provisional) visa is a temporary visa valid for a period of 3 years.

Applicants for the SIR (Provisional) visa will be required to sign an undertaking that they, and the members of their family unit, will live, work or study in regional Australia or a low population metropolitan centre for the duration of their SIR (Provisional) visa.

Applicants for a SIR (Provisional) visa must have state or territory government sponsorship.

Through a two-stage visa process, SIR visa holders must live and work in or a low population growth metropolitan area for at least 2 years before they can apply for permanent residence.
It's a temporary visa, with certain 'restrictions'.

It would always be better to get a permanent one straight away, especially one where you can live anywhere.

But, if you really don't have enough points, this is a good option.

Good luck with everything!
The skills assessment is usually the hardest (most work), and the most important.

Simone
Old Jul 6th 2004, 1:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Customs Officers out there???

Originally posted by keawyed

Is this true?

Many thanks in advance,

Craig
You'll have to check on the DIMIA web site, Skilled Occupations List:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/sol.htm

BTW, you need to be an Aussie Citizen to be a customs officer in Australia. So that would be at least a two year wait for a skilled independent migrant or 3 or 4 years if you go the new skilled regional route.