Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any computer wiz's out there

any computer wiz's out there

Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:56 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default any computer wiz's out there

I know this is the wrong place to ask this question but i'm hoping that someone can help me.

I am having a prob accessing this site I can get on to the homepage but as soon as I click on forum internet explorer closes on me and it is taking about half an hour of messing arround to get on the forum, the same thing is also happening on another couple of sites Hotmail being one when when i try to log in.

Anyone know how I can fix it, The computer is very new and I am running with internet explorer version 6

Cheers
Kala
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:00 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any computer wiz's out there

Originally Posted by kala
I know this is the wrong place to ask this question but i'm hoping that someone can help me.

I am having a prob accessing this site I can get on to the homepage but as soon as I click on forum internet explorer closes on me and it is taking about half an hour of messing arround to get on the forum, the same thing is also happening on another couple of sites Hotmail being one when when i try to log in.

Anyone know how I can fix it, The computer is very new and I am running with internet explorer version 6

Cheers
Kala
There are quite a few techies in the Lounge, try asking there?

Maybe your security settings? Try putting everything on low and work back?
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:02 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Cheers
Kala
Kala,
I'm not a complete wizard, but will help you if I can. What version of windows are you running. Also, what is your method of internet access, dial up or broadband, and also who is your ISP.

Neil.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Kala
Kala, it sounds like spyware / browser hijack. Have a look at the tips in this thread
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:04 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Don
There are quite a few techies in the Lounge, try asking there?

Maybe your security settings? Try putting everything on low and work back?
Cheers Don will pop something in the lounge. Been messing with the security settings all day to no avail

Ta Kala
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:07 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by neil.b
Kala,
I'm not a complete wizard, but will help you if I can. What version of windows are you running. Also, what is your method of internet access, dial up or broadband, and also who is your ISP.

Neil.
I'm on XP home edition and on Virgin Broadband, I dont really understand all the security stuff but my dad is pretty good on computers and cant figure it out so any help would be great

Ta
kala
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:07 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Kala
Kala
Sounds like a virus.
If you can, search for "stinger" "virus" "download". It's a free programme you get from one of the software anti-virus giants and it does a complete scan for you. That will determine if the problem is a virus.

Andrew
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:12 pm
Don
Banned

OK here's what I would do.

1. Visit the Microsoft download site and update yoiur system (ie critical upgrades etc).

2. Download AdAware and Spybot from PC World and run them.

3. As an extra try CWShredder also from PC World site.

Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Kala
Here's a not too long shot: anti viral (AV) software on your new computer could be objecting to Javascripts being executed from sites such as BritishExpats and HotMail. If you are running AV software, ensure it allows cookies and Javascripts to be executed (ditto with your Internet Explorer settings)

One question may solve it : how do you get it working again, ie what "messing about" do you specifically do?
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:14 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by andrew63
Kala
Sounds like a virus.
If you can, search for "stinger" "virus" "download". It's a free programme you get from one of the software anti-virus giants and it does a complete scan for you. That will determine if the problem is a virus.

Andrew
Basically my dad is security mad and on the computer I have the following security software

stinger
registery 1st aid
spybot
and the complete McAfee package

all have been run and everything cleared and I am still having the problem.

I have become a paid up member of this site as I found the pop ups were causing too many problems, I realy dont know what else to do but having spent £1200 on this computer only 8 weeks ago or so I am a little upset that it is already not feeling too well.

AGHHHHHH computers
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:17 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Here's a not too long shot: anti viral (AV) software on your new computer could be objecting to Javascripts being executed from sites such as BritishExpats and HotMail. If you are running AV software, ensure it allows cookies and Javascripts to be executed (ditto with your Internet Explorer settings)

One question may solve it : how do you get it working again, ie what "messing about" do you specifically do?
I think all that yu have suggested has been done by my dad today but I will get him to check it all 2moro cos I have no idea what you are actually talking about (basically I don't get computers at all)

I cant get hotmail working at all but to get this site working I have to go to the online shop and from there select my profile and from there get ito the forum, this doesn;t work 1st time every time but usually by the 10th attempt it works.

Cheers
Kala
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Basically my dad is security mad and on the computer I have the following security software

stinger
registery 1st aid
spybot
and the complete McAfee package

all have been run and everything cleared and I am still having the problem.

I have become a paid up member of this site as I found the pop ups were causing too many problems, I realy dont know what else to do but having spent £1200 on this computer only 8 weeks ago or so I am a little upset that it is already not feeling too well.

AGHHHHHH computers
And there, sir, is your answer! You have locked-down the system too much : to test this out : try disabling Spybot - I think u can leave McAfee alone - and then trying access to HotMail or BritishExpats
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:23 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

I think all that yu have suggested has been done by my dad today but I will get him to check it all 2moro cos I have no idea what you are actually talking about (basically I don't get computers at all)

I cant get hotmail working at all but to get this site working I have to go to the online shop and from there select my profile and from there get ito the forum, this doesn;t work 1st time every time but usually by the 10th attempt it works.

Cheers
Kala
Kala,
Do you get a blue screen, when windows shuts down with the warning- driver irql not less or equal?
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:24 pm
Don
Banned

Cheers
Kala
If you can't get Hotmail working, sounds like a cookies issue. Enable cookies and see what happens? For Hotmail, enough to go down 2 pegs.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:25 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
sir
Miss, possibly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.