Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any chippies out there

Any chippies out there

Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:36 am
nail banger

ivanjjordan will become famous soon enoughivanjjordan will become famous soon enough
Default Any chippies out there

Hello everybody some info for joiners comin to OZ
Its nothing like the uk , just done few days for a local joiner for free cos my tools are on a container somewhere in the big blue ,
over here u do doors and shelving and thats about it , frames are metal and hinges all 4inch steel and fitted to frames ??????????? a bit weird hangin a door but u would get use to it, all jobs u would do in the uk are done here by specilist, i did a lot of roofs at home (uk) but nothin like these 1500 centres no birdsmouth that was an eye opener , and most important is if u think Ozzies are lazy then u are in for a shock, work quality is good final fix anyway ,and u defo need a ute as everwhere is sand so ur transit would get stuck first job! just got one for 4500 quid its done 280000k but everythin here does at least a million k. c u later
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:49 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any chippies out there

Originally Posted by ivanjjordan
Hello everybody some info for joiners comin to OZ
Its nothing like the uk , just done few days for a local joiner for free cos my tools are on a container somewhere in the big blue ,
over here u do doors and shelving and thats about it , frames are metal and hinges all 4inch steel and fitted to frames ??????????? a bit weird hangin a door but u would get use to it, all jobs u would do in the uk are done here by specilist, i did a lot of roofs at home (uk) but nothin like these 1500 centres no birdsmouth that was an eye opener , and most important is if u think Ozzies are lazy then u are in for a shock, work quality is good final fix anyway ,and u defo need a ute as everwhere is sand so ur transit would get stuck first job! just got one for 4500 quid its done 280000k but everythin here does at least a million k. c u later
My brothers hoping to come across next year and hes a chippy...I'll send him the link to this
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:47 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

glad your enjoying it bit of a sweeping analogy of a chippie in Oz though, OH has no ute, works fitting boats, not hung a door since we arrived and a lot of our frames are wooden.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Hotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura about

Nice to see a post for fellow members of the wood occupations
hope it does not get trashed or should i say i will keep my
fingers crossed.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 4:56 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

My OH and son r chippies and things r alot different here there are things my OH did when was an apprentice(27yrs ago) lol that he is doin here now.He bought himself a van does`nt like ute`s .U will get used to all the different work allot easier than back in ireland and allot more laid back lol
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

sawbang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
My brothers hoping to come across next year and hes a chippy...I'll send him the link to this
Hi everyone me and my brother are hoping to move to the WA soon and would like to no is it easy to pick up work' we are both all round carpenters and bringing are families with us
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:03 am
nail banger

ivanjjordan will become famous soon enoughivanjjordan will become famous soon enough

will be doin a bit of ringin around next week for a job might be a hammerhand for a few weeks till i pick it up,done some fixin last week nothin like uk might try roofin next week will update when i know more
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

sawbang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ivanjjordan
will be doin a bit of ringin around next week for a job might be a hammerhand for a few weeks till i pick it up,done some fixin last week nothin like uk might try roofin next week will update when i know more
are power tools expensive in oz ' is it worth buying new when we get there
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

darrellandsarah will become famous soon enoughdarrellandsarah will become famous soon enough

i,m a chippy 22years experiance and me and family are flying out to brissy in october.looks like i have a bit more learning to do again.most of my work is in timber frame at the moment but do all aspects cheers darrell
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:16 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrellandsarah
i,m a chippy 22years experiance and me and family are flying out to brissy in october.looks like i have a bit more learning to do again.most of my work is in timber frame at the moment but do all aspects cheers darrell
no no no please, you will be over qualified believe me.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

darrellandsarah will become famous soon enoughdarrellandsarah will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Possums
no no no please, you will be over qualified believe me.
i applied for a job the other day and was turned down as not ehough experianceoh i did chuckle
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:50 am
(^v^)

i applied for a job the other day and was turned down as not ehough experianceoh i did chuckle
dont know craftsmenship when it hits em mate, just get yourself known then you will be fine
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:16 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

Try the western australia newspaper on a wednesday and saturday there is always ads 4 chippys in it good luck
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Possums
dont know craftsmenship when it hits em mate, just get yourself known then you will be fine
thanx.i moved from southampton to cornwall 11years ago and had to work for crap money for a few years till i got my name about.now have 3 people working for me timber framing and earning good money.shame to throw all my hard work away and move to aus but i,m sure i,m doing the right thing.hopefully get into a full time employed job as i,m fed up looking for work
Old Sep 15th 2008, 1:49 am
(^v^)

thanx.i moved from southampton to cornwall 11years ago and had to work for crap money for a few years till i got my name about.now have 3 people working for me timber framing and earning good money.shame to throw all my hard work away and move to aus but i,m sure i,m doing the right thing.hopefully get into a full time employed job as i,m fed up looking for work
yep, here in Tassie its just like that Cornish way, need to prove yourself and show what you can do; can't speak for brisbane. Im sure when you get here you will have no problem, we never tried to find jobs prior to coming out as we didnt know where we wanted to settle.

you might just have to tweak what you do, after being self employed all his life and taking over the 150yr old family business (where his father still breathed down his neck saying it wasnt done like that in my day blah blah) OH had a dream to run away and build boats and thats what he's doing and he loves it

in hindsight not sure OH would have been given a job prior to coming out? here they want to see what you are prepared to do, the place runs on word of mouth, its all been like some kind of test, giving him crappy jobs in the beginning to see if he will stick it... our first year in the community was like one big apprenticeship and moving to Cornwall you will know where i'm coming from.

anyway dont forget you can do what ever kind of job you want when you get here, something completley new may be thrown your way

Good luck with it all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.