Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any chefs submitted their skills assessment to the TRA???

Any chefs submitted their skills assessment to the TRA???

Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough
Smile Any chefs submitted their skills assessment to the TRA???

Ive got all my work history "stuff" including Quals, some refs signed by ex employers and current,ready to send to TRA can anyone tell me anything that might strengthen my application?? anything please!
thanks
Dave
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:24 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any chefs submitted their skills assessment to the TRA???

Originally Posted by davyboy
Ive got all my work history "stuff" including Quals, some refs signed by ex employers and current,ready to send to TRA can anyone tell me anything that might strengthen my application?? anything please!
thanks
Dave
Hi Dave,
We put an idiots guide together included menus and pictures of dishes sad but true!! absolutely anything which will add to your success we got a guy from work to sign them all to say they were Russ's work and sent it all off and it worked.
We also put it all in order of dates so it read like a story all in order.
Hope this helps. Good luck
Jane
Old Oct 10th 2005, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough

Hiya Jane thanks for that!
im assuming youve received a positive skills assessment then? if so when are you going to oz and what part are you thinking about?
thanks again
Dave

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton
Hi Dave,
We put an idiots guide together included menus and pictures of dishes sad but true!! absolutely anything which will add to your success we got a guy from work to sign them all to say they were Russ's work and sent it all off and it worked.
We also put it all in order of dates so it read like a story all in order.
Hope this helps. Good luck
Jane
Old Oct 10th 2005, 7:51 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Jane thanks for that!
im assuming youve received a positive skills assessment then? if so when are you going to oz and what part are you thinking about?
thanks again
Dave

Hi Dave,
Yes we got a pos result which we were over the moon about We are looking to go to sunshine or gold coast will have a look when we get there .... Stayed on Gold coast this year and although we liked it we want to look at sunshine coast, What about you ???? Oh we liked Sydney too awsome place but I think its a bit too expensive for us
Jane
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:32 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Dave
Hi Dave,

Just make sure you've got plenty of detail about your formative years as a Chef as they want to see you can actually Cook! I know it seems stupid but they want you to prove that you've been trained and what exactly you've learned (specific skills,, equipment, machinery etc). They will place more emphasis on this than your current work situation.

If you need anymore help send me or Jane & Russ a pm and I'm sure we''d be glad to help..............Jonah's Mummy's a star as well!

Good Luck

Dave
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Nige37 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are also required to write a complete history of your work experience, from when you decided to become a chef, through college (explain what you learned there, the type of equipment you were trained on - including what type of spoon is used to do what task), through being trained on the job and explain how your career progressed right up until the present date. Again, the key to writing this is DETAIL. If you imagine that you are teaching a class of 5 year olds how to prepare a dish, then you will be pitching at around the right level - i.e. in order to prepare the batter, I first had to select the egg and the butter from the cold store/larder, then crack into a bowl where it would be mixed/folded/whipped with a wooden spoon/whisk/fork until the correct consistency was achieved. The way to tell that the correct consistency was achieved was to....
I hope I have given you an indication of what I mean by the type of detail that is required!). Within this history, I would recommend that you bring out any "highlights" of your career. Do not be afraid to crow about this and any other milestones in your career as you must sell yourself to TRA as much as you possibly can and this is the perfect platform to do so.

It is helpful to remember that, for the majority of applicants, the assessors have a very limited understanding of what is involved in the occupation that they are assessing. As such, assume no knowledge and be as thorough as possible in the explanation of the tasks that you perform. DETAIL, DETAIL AND MORE DETAIL is the key here! For each task that you perform during the course of a day, try to address the following points:

1. What instructions do you follow? (Is there a recipe involved? Are there any technical drawings which you decipher?)

2. What is the order of doing the job? How do you plan the job?

3. What measuring instruments do you use? (Rulers, tape measures, measuring jugs, scales?)

4. How do you mark, lay out or set up the job? What is involved in doing so?

5. How do select the appropriate tools for the job? What are the machines, materials, tools and equipment you require? (Name as many as possible)

6. How do you decide what settings to use on these machines, tools and equipment? What are the appropriate settings for the task being performed?

7. How do you perform your work - independently or as part of a team?

8. How do you check and test your work against the relevant standards?

There are some key words to slot in wherever possible:

1. When describing WHAT was done, use words such as diagnose, repair, replace, make, install, service, mix, blend.

2. When describing WHERE it was done, use words such as, on site, in the kitchen.

3. When describing HOW it was done, use words such as technique, as an individual, as part of a team, according to procedures/instructions/drawings/plans/recipes etc.

4. When describing WHAT it was done with, name as much of the equipment, tools, machinery and materials used as you can - DON’T use brand names to describe these, rather explain what they are

It will be helpful to any application for skills assessment if employer references are accompanied by job descriptions. In this case, the employer should state on the reference that a job description is attached.

Good Luck :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Oct 10th 2005, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Fantastic! dont know where about's in oz yet, havent even visited! got family and friends in Perth and Canberra but were not decided where, as lomg as we get there i think then we'll rent and travel until we find "the place" Is your hubby cheffing when you get to oz then? has he looked at wages, conditions etc...? im a chef lecturer at the moment and would love to stay in the teaching area hours, pay holidays etc are worlds apart from the cheffy thing I currently get just over 10 weeks per year hols and would love to find summit similar in oz.
see ya later
Dave

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton
Hi Dave,
Yes we got a pos result which we were over the moon about We are looking to go to sunshine or gold coast will have a look when we get there .... Stayed on Gold coast this year and although we liked it we want to look at sunshine coast, What about you ???? Oh we liked Sydney too awsome place but I think its a bit too expensive for us
Jane
Old Oct 10th 2005, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Any chefs submitted their skills assessment to the TRA???

Nige (im assuming thats your name)
thanks so much for that!! fantastic and loads of detail, thank you for taking the time to include so much detail
tremendous
thanks once again you're a star!
Peace n that
Dave

Originally Posted by Nige37
You are also required to write a complete history of your work experience, from when you decided to become a chef, through college (explain what you learned there, the type of equipment you were trained on - including what type of spoon is used to do what task), through being trained on the job and explain how your career progressed right up until the present date. Again, the key to writing this is DETAIL. If you imagine that you are teaching a class of 5 year olds how to prepare a dish, then you will be pitching at around the right level - i.e. in order to prepare the batter, I first had to select the egg and the butter from the cold store/larder, then crack into a bowl where it would be mixed/folded/whipped with a wooden spoon/whisk/fork until the correct consistency was achieved. The way to tell that the correct consistency was achieved was to....
I hope I have given you an indication of what I mean by the type of detail that is required!). Within this history, I would recommend that you bring out any "highlights" of your career. Do not be afraid to crow about this and any other milestones in your career as you must sell yourself to TRA as much as you possibly can and this is the perfect platform to do so.

It is helpful to remember that, for the majority of applicants, the assessors have a very limited understanding of what is involved in the occupation that they are assessing. As such, assume no knowledge and be as thorough as possible in the explanation of the tasks that you perform. DETAIL, DETAIL AND MORE DETAIL is the key here! For each task that you perform during the course of a day, try to address the following points:

1. What instructions do you follow? (Is there a recipe involved? Are there any technical drawings which you decipher?)

2. What is the order of doing the job? How do you plan the job?

3. What measuring instruments do you use? (Rulers, tape measures, measuring jugs, scales?)

4. How do you mark, lay out or set up the job? What is involved in doing so?

5. How do select the appropriate tools for the job? What are the machines, materials, tools and equipment you require? (Name as many as possible)

6. How do you decide what settings to use on these machines, tools and equipment? What are the appropriate settings for the task being performed?

7. How do you perform your work - independently or as part of a team?

8. How do you check and test your work against the relevant standards?

There are some key words to slot in wherever possible:

1. When describing WHAT was done, use words such as diagnose, repair, replace, make, install, service, mix, blend.

2. When describing WHERE it was done, use words such as, on site, in the kitchen.

3. When describing HOW it was done, use words such as technique, as an individual, as part of a team, according to procedures/instructions/drawings/plans/recipes etc.

4. When describing WHAT it was done with, name as much of the equipment, tools, machinery and materials used as you can - DON’T use brand names to describe these, rather explain what they are

It will be helpful to any application for skills assessment if employer references are accompanied by job descriptions. In this case, the employer should state on the reference that a job description is attached.

Good Luck :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Oct 10th 2005, 1:13 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

I think pretty much is covered, just make sure you go into as much detail and stick to the areas outlinned by Nige37 - try and sub divide all places you worked and outline the information needed - otherwise you can get distracted - writing it is hard to begin with, but once you do it will roll off - it's hard trying to write down how to make a hollandaise without it sounding as though you've copied it out of a recipie book. I included pictures of the kitchens I worked in and equipement used - the more information the better. A good idea is include any menus worked on, any costings for new menus (I kept mine, sad I know) and job descriptions (where possible).

If I can help, PM me.

Best of luck to you.