Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any British teachers teaching in Oz?

Any British teachers teaching in Oz?

Old Oct 20th 2006, 3:54 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British teachers teaching in Oz?

Originally Posted by sasbear
I am confused about the training or re-training though Arkon?

I didn't have to do anything like that. I was teaching KS3, 4 & 5 in UK and when I arrived - 5 days later I went to register with the ACT education people. I gave them all my documents and they contacted the school that I taught at. 3 weeks later I was offered an interview for 2 weeks time. I attended, very informal and talked about teaching and learning strategises used within the classroom. Two weeks later I was sent through my registration card - which entitled me to teach in any school within the ACT.

I took this around (photocopies also) along with my portfolio to schools and colleges explaining that I was looking for part time/full time temp perm work. 2 weeks later I was working.
I've no idea why some get it relatively easy and others are made to jump though burning hoops. I know each state has it's own rules and I think NSW has got to be the worst. The ACT seems to be a law unto itself and seems far less regulated and free. Maybe thats why. Here in NSW she has been trying to get back to work for six months now and most of that time is really just waiting to go on the course and get a school placement for assesment. It's all a load of hokum if you ask me.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 3:59 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
I've no idea why some get it relatively easy and others are made to jump though burning hoops. I know each state has it's own rules and I think NSW has got to be the worst. The ACT seems to be a law unto itself and seems far less regulated and free. Maybe thats why. Here in NSW she has been trying to get back to work for six months now and most of that time is really just waiting to go on the course and get a school placement for assesment. It's all a load of hokum if you ask me.

could your wife maybe do a wee bit volunteer work at a school and perhaps get in that way once they see how fabby do she is

Last edited by biggy; Oct 20th 2006 at 4:10 am. Reason: i need to go back to school i canny spell :)
Old Oct 20th 2006, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly a pain in WA. Very experienced teachers have to complete 3(?) days of orientation on arrival. And there's (I think) a 10 week waiting time to get on the course.

You can't teach in state schools until you have completed this.

Orientation Lesson Number 1: "OK hold your pen like this. We're in Australia now not on some foreign shore."

Hope to God I never have to teach in the state sector.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile, if you want to become the Minister for Education, the only qualifications are the ability to be a dumb-a*se and the inability to see anything, know anything and understand anything which goes on in your own department.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 4:21 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Meanwhile, if you want to become the Minister for Education, the only qualifications are the ability to be a dumb-a*se and the inability to see anything, know anything and understand anything which goes on in your own department.
Is that not the pre-requisite for any ministerial protfolio?

S
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Is that not the pre-requisite for any ministerial protfolio?

S

Yes, I suppose so but most of the ministers that I've had awarebness of have at least demonstrated some intelligence - no common-sense perhaps - but some intelligence.

And then there's Ms. Ravlich...
Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:23 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
could your wife maybe do a wee bit volunteer work at a school and perhaps get in that way once they see how fabby do she is
At the moment there is no real rush, we will let nature take its course, patience is all you need and here you need a lot of it. Not sure how much we have left in reserve now though.

I should add I've decided to write to Mr Howard on the subject regarding getting you here with you skills and then not letting you use them once your here, see what reply I get, If anyone wants to give me any ammo to add to my letter feel free to PM me. Not just teachers, sparkies plummers nurses etc...

Last edited by arkon; Oct 20th 2006 at 7:26 am.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as it's all over and she has a job I will post on here the exact timeline of the farce that it is to transfer your skills.
Don't forget to account for core gaps in the timeline for arkon silliness such as:

i) The time your wife spent mowing/tractoring
ii) Distance spent in transit between locations on speculative visits (ie. discount ones where she just went out because she was bored)

;-)
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:24 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Don't forget to account for core gaps in the timeline for arkon silliness such as:

i) The time your wife spent mowing/tractoring
ii) Distance spent in transit between locations on speculative visits (ie. discount ones where she just went out because she was bored)

;-)
Not exactly sure what your trying to say. Just so long as no one expects us to sit on our thumbs whilst all the red tape pans itself out.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Wow. Guess ACT have the simplest registration process. I wish it were like that in other states!

Gemma
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:57 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by foxall22
Wow. Guess ACT have the simplest registration process. I wish it were like that in other states!

Gemma
The irony of it all is we want to move to the ACT!!! Then none of this would have been an issue and not given me another reason to detest the country.
The ACT seems very lax when it comes to most things, Sex and fireworks are 2 that are easier to get there I'm told.

You may have hit the nail on the head, maybe it's why the politicians *think* everything is ok and try to entice us all over. Not really knowing what goes on for immigrants in the other states.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly sure what your trying to say. Just so long as no one expects us to sit on our thumbs whilst all the red tape pans itself out.
S'OK mate. Just poking a bit of fun at little japes you have mentioned before (which you yourself have used in your defence). I like your posts and good luck to you. Having seen your farm - I liked it, and it didn't look as 'helpless' as the picture you had kind of painted...
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:04 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

S'OK mate. Just poking a bit of fun at little japes you have mentioned before (which you yourself have used in your defence). I like your posts and good luck to you.
Thats ok, Thought I was gonna have to nuke your computer by remote control.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thats ok, Thought I was gonna have to nuke your computer by remote control.
work wouldn't be too happy.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:28 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

work wouldn't be too happy.
They really should ban computers in the work place or at least internet access. Imagine how much more productive the world would be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.