Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any British Nurses working in Melbourne - looking for some advice please?

Any British Nurses working in Melbourne - looking for some advice please?

Old Dec 27th 2005, 6:05 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of
Question Any British Nurses working in Melbourne - looking for some advice please?

Hiya all!
Been hanging around this site for a few days reading about what youre all getting up to and at what stage people are in being granted permission to start a new life! Unfortunately, Im about a 1 year, 4months and 26 days off being 'allowed in' due to my new profession as a nurse. I have to work for at least 12 months after qualifying before I can apply for a skilled visa (boo hoo).
Just wondering if any Brit-Nurses working in Melbourne would be kind enough to get in touch with me and answer all my burning questions????

Hope you all had a nice Xmas and Happy New Year to you all!

Dianej
x
Old Dec 27th 2005, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British Nurses working in Melbourne - looking for some advice please?

Originally Posted by Dianej
Hiya all!
Been hanging around this site for a few days reading about what youre all getting up to and at what stage people are in being granted permission to start a new life! Unfortunately, Im about a 1 year, 4months and 26 days off being 'allowed in' due to my new profession as a nurse. I have to work for at least 12 months after qualifying before I can apply for a skilled visa (boo hoo).
Just wondering if any Brit-Nurses working in Melbourne would be kind enough to get in touch with me and answer all my burning questions????

Hope you all had a nice Xmas and Happy New Year to you all!

Dianej
x

Just wanted to welcome you to the mad house.

Wendy
Old Dec 27th 2005, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British Nurses working in Melbourne - looking for some advice please?

you might want to post this question here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

this is where all the nurses hangout.

Wendy
Old Dec 27th 2005, 11:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya all!
Been hanging around this site for a few days reading about what youre all getting up to and at what stage people are in being granted permission to start a new life! Unfortunately, Im about a 1 year, 4months and 26 days off being 'allowed in' due to my new profession as a nurse. I have to work for at least 12 months after qualifying before I can apply for a skilled visa (boo hoo)
x

Why not apply for the Skill Matching visa, if you can get a nomination from Victoria? The work experience require for Skill Matching (as opposed to STNI) is only 6 months.

Ask further on the immigration forum. In the meantime, take a look at:
http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au

Jeremy
Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:44 am
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why not apply for the Skill Matching visa, if you can get a nomination from Victoria? The work experience require for Skill Matching (as opposed to STNI) is only 6 months.

Jeremy

hi Diane

I am in the same boat as you, but i am about 3 months off being able to apply for the independant 136 visa. if you need any advice or information then drop me a line.....infact you will find all the advice you need on here and if you want to moan about anything, this is a good place....

I qualified as a Mental health nurse in march 05, which area of nursing are you in?

Justin
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:46 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WendyC
you might want to post this question here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

this is where all the nurses hangout.

Wendy
Thank you Wendy!
Diane.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:49 am
Im here!!!!!!

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

From what I can gather, the skills matching visa for nursing tends to match jobs with the more rural hospitals and mainly in gereatric medicine (not every nurses cup of tea!) But it is an option and I will look into it more, thanks.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:54 am
Im here!!!!!!

Originally Posted by eljustino
hi Diane

I am in the same boat as you, but i am about 3 months off being able to apply for the independant 136 visa. if you need any advice or information then drop me a line.....infact you will find all the advice you need on here and if you want to moan about anything, this is a good place....

I qualified as a Mental health nurse in march 05, which area of nursing are you in?

Justin
Hi Justin,
Im in adult branch and qualify in March next year. I spoke to an agency who said that I could apply as early as September next year as the waiting time for your visa is taken into consideration as experience. I hope thats true otherwise I have even longer to wait! I tried for western Oz at first but they require 2 years post reg experience.........couldnt possibly wait that long! Have you looked at any jobs yet? I fancy the bigger teaching hospitals in Melbourne but where do you fancy?

Diane.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jeremy,

From what I can gather, the skills matching visa for nursing tends to match jobs with the more rural hospitals and mainly in gereatric medicine (not every nurses cup of tea!) But it is an option and I will look into it more, thanks.

As far as I'm aware (you should check) Victoria does not require job matching for the Skill Matching or STNI visa.

You need to understand that an STNI nomination is the same thing as a Skill Matching visa nomination. You just need to be careful (if you only have 6 months experience) to apply for the Skill Matching visa (subclass 134) rather than STNI (subclass 137). Apply for the wrong one and DIMIA will refuse you, so beware.

The point about jobs in regional hospitals refers to another visa, the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS). Although there is no work experience requirement for RSMS, the visa has a few more restrictions than the Skill Matching visa, and for the sake of an extra few months it's better to go for the Skill Matching visa if Victoria will sponsor you. Also, Skill Matching visa holders can work in Melbourne.

If all this confuses you - get professional advice from an agent who understands this area, as otherwise you could miss out on an opportunity.

Jeremy
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

Hi Justin,
Im in adult branch and qualify in March next year. I spoke to an agency who said that I could apply as early as September next year as the waiting time for your visa is taken into consideration as experience. I hope thats true otherwise I have even longer to wait!

This is not true. Work experience requirements must be met at time of application, otherwise your application will be refused.

However as I have already mentioned, the Skill Matching visa only needs 6 months work experience, not 12. And RSMS does not require any work experience.

Jeremy
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:45 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Originally Posted by JAJ
This is not true. Work experience requirements must be met at time of application, otherwise your application will be refused.

However as I have already mentioned, the Skill Matching visa only needs 6 months work experience, not 12. And RSMS does not require any work experience.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy, its all very confusing but the Skills matching Visa must be what the agency meant becuase I origially wanted to go to Perth which required longer post reg experience and the agency suggested to starting off in Melbourne. Aaah well, at least I have plenty of time to do some more research.
Diane.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

Thanks Jeremy, its all very confusing but the Skills matching Visa must be what the agency meant becuase I origially wanted to go to Perth which required longer post reg experience and the agency suggested to starting off in Melbourne. Aaah well, at least I have plenty of time to do some more research.
Diane.

Western Australia also participate in the Skill Matching visa, on the same basis as Victoria (they started doing so recently). If you want to go to Perth, why not see if they are interested in sponsoring nurses?
http://www.migration.wa.gov.au

Jeremy
Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:06 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Western Australia also participate in the Skill Matching visa, on the same basis as Victoria (they started doing so recently). If you want to go to Perth, why not see if they are interested in sponsoring nurses?
http://www.migration.wa.gov.au

Jeremy
Aaaargh! No more ideas please! Ive just picked my daughter's school in Melbourne! Just had a quick look at the visa categories, correct me if Im wrong;
136 you can go out as perminant resident without a job but need to fit the skills list and get 120 points
137 you need to fit the bill but have a job offer (110 points)
134 you need to wait for the state to offer you a job (70 points)
I know its not as simple as that, but I intend to get a firm offer of employment before I go so I would be better off with a 137 visa???

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 9:17 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Diane.

136 - agreed.

137 - no job offer required. You need to have a State Nomination and the Skilled Independent pool mark of 70 points.

134 - almost the same as the 137, but the recent work experience is less (6 out of the 12 months immediately preceding the lodgement of the visa application, as Jeremy has said).

Best regards.

Aaaargh! No more ideas please! Ive just picked my daughter's school in Melbourne! Just had a quick look at the visa categories, correct me if Im wrong;
136 you can go out as perminant resident without a job but need to fit the skills list and get 120 points
137 you need to fit the bill but have a job offer (110 points)
134 you need to wait for the state to offer you a job (70 points)
I know its not as simple as that, but I intend to get a firm offer of employment before I go so I would be better off with a 137 visa???

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:40 am
Im here!!!!!!

Cool Re: Any British Nurses working in Melbourne - looking for some advice please?

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Hello Diane.

136 - agreed.

137 - no job offer required. You need to have a State Nomination and the Skilled Independent pool mark of 70 points.

134 - almost the same as the 137, but the recent work experience is less (6 out of the 12 months immediately preceding the lodgement of the visa application, as Jeremy has said).

Best regards.
Thanks Alan, so why so many different visas? I will have 110 points by the time Im qualified unless I wait 3 years for another 10 for a 136 visa. Why would anyone want to do that?? What are the restrictions or loss of rights on a 137 and a 134, is a 136 more attractive to an employer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.