Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any British Expats working as Recruitment Agents?

Any British Expats working as Recruitment Agents?

Old Jan 28th 2012, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Alisclar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any British Expats working as Recruitment Agents?

Any agency guys 'n gals working in this type of industry on here?

I'm having a lot of difficulty in being selected for jobs advertised (that I can do!) and wondering how to improve our chances of being selected.

I believe some agencies use programmes to decipher resumes for roles but i'm interested in how the system works. My wife hasn't worked since we moved here over 3 years ago and because of my situation has started to look for work, but finding the same problem.

Anyone on her able to advise? as i've been unemployed for over 5 months now and looking like our life in Australia could end soon due to funds rapidly running out. (It's so expensive isn't it?)

If it helps, we live in SA but wanted to move to Sydney, but were told that we would have no chance of work in Sydney unless we live there, even though we can move more or less immediately cause we're in rented accommodation.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British Expats working as Recruitment Agents?

what type of jobs are you applying for?

also, have you thought about getting your resume looked at? I found the agencies here really good at providing feedback on mine when I asked them about it.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 1:53 am
Just Joined

I'm a fitter to trade Wendy, now at supervisor/manager level.
I was having no success with the resume I had, so had it evaluated professionally and then spent over $400 having it re-done after reading various reviews of the company.
I must admit it came back in my opinion, well, but has achieved nothing whatsoever, so not exactly money well spent that we could ill afford.

Last edited by Alisclar; Jan 29th 2012 at 1:59 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:26 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alisclar
I was having no success with the resume I had, so had it evaluated professionally and then spent over $400 having it re-done after reading various reviews of the company.
I must admit it came back in my opinion, well, but has achieved nothing whatsoever, so not exactly money well spent that we could ill afford.
Have you thought about trying for other jobs, not just what you're trained in just something to get you on the job ladder in Aus mate?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Not sure if that's really possible sonlymewalter. I can't really think of other roles not associated with my experience that a potential employer could deem as suitable for their business. Am willing to hear suggestions though!

Reason I say that is from what i'm told/read/hear/see and probably personal opinion is that I'd be "over qualified" for other roles (assume you mean lesser in your reply) and not many companies would want to hire people that are not going to stay for any length of time, unless they're used to high staff turnover in which case it's probably not a good idea to work for them in the first place even if it means money coming in.
The stress of that would just compound the stress that we're going through at the minute and I value my wife and family not to expose them to any additional pressure.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

You said earlier that you were told that we would have no chance of work in Sydney unless you live there, is that other people's opinion, or have you actually applied for work there?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:28 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if that's really possible sonlymewalter. I can't really think of other roles not associated with my experience that a potential employer could deem as suitable for their business. Am willing to hear suggestions though!

Reason I say that is from what i'm told/read/hear/see and probably personal opinion is that I'd be "over qualified" for other roles (assume you mean lesser in your reply) and not many companies would want to hire people that are not going to stay for any length of time, unless they're used to high staff turnover in which case it's probably not a good idea to work for them in the first place even if it means money coming in.
The stress of that would just compound the stress that we're going through at the minute and I value my wife and family not to expose them to any additional pressure.
Ahhhhh that old chestnut....you'll prolly find a lot of well "over qualified" people found the same problem getting work in Aus and had to downgrade in order to get on the jobs ladder. Aus is full of taxi drivers, restaurant workers and bus drivers who are "over qualified"it's a misnoma that Aus needs the best qualified people in the world. Unless someone works in a trade or profession that is well under represented then there's usually a glut despite what the skills in demand list tell you

It's not uncommon for people to go from a top job to a *normal* job and back up again ....it seems more prevelant and normal here especially when the job market is lousy or just not good in a spcific kind of work. Lots of people have found themselves downgrading their job experience to find other work cos, like you say, if they see your real skills on your resume they'll crap themselves....so in these instances people have been known to dumb down their skills set, get into a company and then proove themselves in order to gain promotion

The other thing is jobs here are less for life and more casual/contract work so you need to get used to the "stress" or mindset of a more short term employment market. Yep there are exceptions to the rule, some find their dream job straight away in a perm role (I use THAT term loosly) but over the years especially in a wobbly economy the above is not unusual and coming from UK we often have to think differently about how employment works over here and more importantly how we can work it to our advantage in order to find work and pay the bills.

You can either stick your heels in and hope someone somewhere in some company will give you a chance (quite possible) or you can dumb down your resume, find a less senior role with the view to quick progression if you prove you're worth it (very possible cos they like people to prove their worth) and at least bring in the bacon in the meantime.

It's always a lot easier to find work when in work as they say.

Good luck mate
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:30 am

What exactly is a "fitter" mate

if you give a bit more info there may be someone out there who can put you in the right direction?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:42 am
Just Joined

The no chance in Sydney thing actually came from an agency that I'd applied to quite a number of jobs for (in Sydney) in recent times. I think they must have got cheesed off with me for applying for these similar roles and decided to tell me straight to save me wasting my time!
But what has got to me recently is that I applied for a role which had just been advertised and got an E-mail back within a couple of hours to say they had been inundated with the response and there were more suitably qualified applicants who were already shortlisted for interview, so was turned down. Now I know this is a standard kind of response affair which agencies use, but after hearing what an agency had told me before, I can't help but feel there is some discrimination going on cause my address is in SA.

An option would be to "use" an address in Sydney but 1: I know no one over there and 2: I'm not one for being fraudulent or a liar basically.

But back to the original question I asked, I do wonder if there is anyone in that career than maybe give some pointers on how their software works to give me a better chance.

I like your advice sonlymewalter and yes I agree with what you are saying about proving oneself and climbing up the ladder again, but I've done that a few times (I'm getting on in years now!) and it's tiresome to keep going over the same routine which can take a number of years to get back up due to the personnel that are "above" you. It's also a personal pride thing that you feel like you've failed if you keep falling back down the ladder all the time ( or am I being foolish or selfish here? )

Anyway to answer the "fitter" bit, it's someone who maintains/repairs/installs/overhauls mechanical production machinery in the manufacturing industries like Arnotts or Coca Cola etc.

Last edited by Alisclar; Jan 29th 2012 at 7:45 am.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Surely any work is better than no work?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Well I'd rather not shovel shit for a living but I know what you mean.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I thought the same a while back, but I took a crap job for a bit to have something coming in. And as they always say its easier to find work whilst in work!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:01 am
Just Joined

If you don't mind me asking Tramps_mate, how easy did you find getting any old crap job if your work experience wasn't applicable to the role?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The no chance in Sydney thing actually came from an agency that I'd applied to quite a number of jobs for (in Sydney) in recent times. I think they must have got cheesed off with me for applying for these similar roles and decided to tell me straight to save me wasting my time!
But what has got to me recently is that I applied for a role which had just been advertised and got an E-mail back within a couple of hours to say they had been inundated with the response and there were more suitably qualified applicants who were already shortlisted for interview, so was turned down. Now I know this is a standard kind of response affair which agencies use, but after hearing what an agency had told me before, I can't help but feel there is some discrimination going on cause my address is in SA.

An option would be to "use" an address in Sydney but 1: I know no one over there and 2: I'm not one for being fraudulent or a liar basically.

But back to the original question I asked, I do wonder if there is anyone in that career than maybe give some pointers on how their software works to give me a better chance.

I like your advice sonlymewalter and yes I agree with what you are saying about proving oneself and climbing up the ladder again, but I've done that a few times (I'm getting on in years now!) and it's tiresome to keep going over the same routine which can take a number of years to get back up due to the personnel that are "above" you. It's also a personal pride thing that you feel like you've failed if you keep falling back down the ladder all the time ( or am I being foolish or selfish here? )

Anyway to answer the "fitter" bit, it's someone who maintains/repairs/installs/overhauls mechanical production machinery in the manufacturing industries like Arnotts or Coca Cola etc.
Don't put an address on your resume. Simples. If you are asked for it by the agency you can tell them that your address is not needed by the agency unless it is specifically relevant to the job.

Yes, you are probably being a bit selfish in not wanting to go down a few pegs here. You're in Australia now. Employers here don't know you, don't know what you can do or how you work. Unfortunately that's part of moving countries. You need to prove yourself all over again. For me it meant a massive step back going from a 20+ year career as an ophthalmic technician to working as a temp medical typist and as a receptionist for a while. In Australia I need to be a nurse with meds certification to do my former job, so I took something else to bring in a paycheque while my husband looked for work. I was really good at being a medical typist, which led to longer contracts which eventually led to my current job which comes with loads of responsibility and is a few more steps back up the ladder.

If it's a choice of any job or no job, wouldn't you rather do something? If you're in Adelaide contact Recruitco in Mile End. http://www.recruitco.com.au/cand_home.html From what I remember they do a lot of industrial/trade type recruitment.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:26 am

Mate I feel your pain on all levels and believe me I know of a LOT of people who have had to swallow their pride and take on shit work and basically start again and I agree, it's crap when you've basically done it a few times and believe me it's even crappier when the people / person you report to is 20 years behind where you came from...but that's how it is out here I'm afraid mate. Sorry to dissapoint but the sooner the reality hits home the sooner you can get yourself on that ladder and move up cos you certainly aint going no where whilst you're out of work mate

Look, whilst this going backwards business is totally crap (especially if you've spent years getting to where you are) the one great thing about Aus work culture is if you do prove yourself, generally the Aussies respect you for it. Anyone who can and does do the hard yakka is respected and Aussies tend to make sure you're rewarded for it. It seems there is a general sceptisism for anyone "straight off the ship" so to speak and no matter how trained or well qualified you are generally the Aussies don't give a shit until they see it first hand and once they do, they tend to look after you. There's also an eliment of if you can show you are prepared to roll your sleeves up and get dirty then you'll be respected for it and for showing you're no better than anyone else and unlike in the UK it's not seen as a failure to do it this way, in fact quite the opposite. And the great thing is it it usually doesn't take years to move up as it does in UK. It happens much more quickly. Just like selling houses, the Aussies don't generally piss about

Personally I'd be looking at certain industries you want to get in to, dumb down your resume a bit to get the foot in the door, impress them by saying you realise you're in a different market to UK and you understand you need to learn the Aussie way before you get back to the same level as before. This shows willingness on your part and that you are prepared to show them your worth.

Best of luck mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.